OT: - Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I did the same move from Boston to Hartford not that long ago. There is a new apartment building almost done on New Park Ave in West Hartford literally right next to the bus line. You might want to take a look at it.

Do you know the name? The smarter half of the polycom tag team wants to be in hartford because of Med school rotations

Reaction Score
People really want to live in cities right now.
Ya, I know, but when I was in my mid and late 20s 6 to 10 years ago people were going for the Tier 1 cities like NYC, Boston, San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, DC, Philly, Portland, etc. I guess people are expanding out to include Tier 2 and 3 cities.

polycom

Reaction Score
Ya, I know, but when I was in my mid and late 20s 6 to 10 years ago people were going for the Tier 1 cities like NYC, Boston, San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, DC, Philly, Portland, etc. I guess people are expanding out to include Tier 2 and 3 cities.

People can't afford t1 cities anymore. Context I paid $1300 a month and I paid the least amount of money with 3 other roommates in Boston. In Hartford I can pay 400 more and get a nice 1 br to myself.

Reaction Score
People can't afford t1 cities anymore. Context I paid $1300 a month and I paid the least amount of money with 3 other roommates in Boston. In Hartford I can pay 400 more and get a nice 1 br to myself.

That's one of the reasons I moved. It will be interesting 10 years from now when 4o year olds realize they have no retirement savings.

polycom

Reaction Score
That's one of the reasons I moved. It will be interesting 10 years from now when 4o year olds realize they have no retirement savings.

Absolutely, unless you have a great job or family help I don't understand how people can afford t1 cities and save for retirement.

Reaction Score
So are CT cities going to become (slowly) gentrified?
Yes.

It doesn't seem too slow now. But took a while to get here, yeah. Some of the poorer people resent what is happening even in Bridpeport.

I am not a fan of criminalizing the homeless, but the West End of Bridgeport has been cleaned out. Homeless people have been forced into camps on the East Side.

The Classic Car Gallery

Look at where they are headquartered now. Shootings went on in projects across the street regularly 20 years ago. One of them has been demolished and turned into a supermarket. Projects have been demolished all around Bridgeport. Even Marina Village.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Providence and Norwalk have been been in the midst of yuppie galore for a while.

Norwich might even have a future one day.

Reaction Score
People really want to live in cities right now.
Never thought I'd be saying this, but Bridgeport is a heck of a lot more fun than Fairfield. And I am a Fairfield native!

We could use some road repavement here.

Reaction Score
If Bridgeport is of interest to anyone, find the best unit you can while they are cheap. I can't see how this place won't be very well redeveloped. There's way too much history and culture here. And way too many projects going on right now. This city should be very heavily redeveloped by 2019/2020. Posting this link to give an idea of what Bridgeport is becoming. New amphitheater should also end up attracting big names. RIP Bluefish.

Jim Breuer to headline Bridgeport comedy club's opening

They are also in the process of cleaning up and slowly beginning to redevelop the East Side. East Main St area can easily be something like a mini-Greenpoint (Brooklyn).

Ganim touts major developments across city

"According to Ganim, more than $2.5 billion worth of proposed projects are either under construction or ready to break ground this year."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Fiance just moved from Boston in September. She had an apartment in Back Bay with her roommate (2 bed, 1.5 bath, Nice Kitchen, No Living room or communal space and she paid $1475 for her half of rent. We moved into a one bedroom in West Hartford Center and paid $650 each. Our rent was less than half of her rent in Boston.

polycom

Reaction Score
Fiance just moved from Boston in September. She had an apartment in Back Bay with her roommate (2 bed, 1.5 bath, Nice Kitchen, No Living room or communal space and she paid $1475 for her half of rent. We moved into a one bedroom in West Hartford Center and paid $650 each. Our rent was less than half of her rent in Boston.

Yeah I live in Southie I know the struggle. I’m basically going to be in the same situation when I move to downtown or the center.

Reaction Score
Yeah I live in Southie I know the struggle. I’m basically going to be in the same situation when I move to downtown or the center.

I'd recommend the center. Especially if you're looking for good restaurants,/nightlife/etc. Whole Foods, 30+ restaurants, there's a couple sports bars people watch games at in Blue Back, a few coffee shops (Starbucks in the Center, Spot Coffee in Blue Back), New York Sports Club for a gym. West Hartford tends to be a bit of a mid 20's+ crowd at the bars whereas Hartford is definitely 20-24ish years old. It pretty much has almost everything you need and definitely isn't dead on weekends. Short commute into Hartford if you work downtown. I think you'll find it's similarly priced to Hartford as well. I spent my weekends in Boston the last 3 years, and it definitely isn't Boston, but it's enjoyable. Let me know if you have any questions.

polycom

Reaction Score
I'd recommend the center. Especially if you're looking for good restaurants,/nightlife/etc. Whole Foods, 30+ restaurants, there's a couple sports bars people watch games at in Blue Back, a few coffee shops (Starbucks in the Center, Spot Coffee in Blue Back), New York Sports Club for a gym. West Hartford tends to be a bit of a mid 20's+ crowd at the bars whereas Hartford is definitely 20-24ish years old. It pretty much has almost everything you need and definitely isn't dead on weekends. Short commute into Hartford if you work downtown. I think you'll find it's similarly priced to Hartford as well. I spent my weekends in Boston the last 3 years, and it definitely isn't Boston, but it's enjoyable. Let me know if you have any questions.

I travel 80% for work so either works for me, however, my girlfriend is a 3rd-year med student who has most of her rotations in Hartford which is why I'm leaning toward downtown v. the center

Reaction Score
You know that nice apartment I moved into right after graduation? I paid $75/month

I was working really crazy hours and suddenly found myself 1 week away from the end of my shared lease in Manchester where I had been living throughout my last semester and into my first job which was in Hartford. All my roommates were moving out and I needed to find a new place but I had absolutely zero time to look.

Meanwhile a friend had just made a deal with building management to get free rent in a 1 br for taking the garbage out every morning (1 central garbage room in each of 6 floors). When he found out I needed a place he went back and worked out a deal instead to share a 2 br (and the aforementioned daily chore) with me and split the difference in rent for the 2 br ($150).

So my entry level salary was suddenly rather adequate!

Reaction Score
You know that nice apartment I moved into right after graduation? I paid $75/month

I was working really crazy hours and suddenly found myself 1 week away from the end of my shared lease in Manchester where I had been living throughout my last semester and into my first job which was in Hartford. All my roommates were moving out and I needed to find a new place but I had absolutely zero time to look.

Meanwhile a friend had just made a deal with building management to get free rent in a 1 br for taking the garbage out every morning (1 central garbage room in each of 6 floors). When he found out I needed a place he went back and worked out a deal instead to share a 2 br (and the aforementioned daily chore) with me and split the difference in rent for the 2 br ($150).

So my entry level salary was suddenly rather adequate!

Jeez those were some amazing prices.

Reaction Score
Jeez those were some amazing prices.
I don't remember how much it cost for the suckers who paid full rent.

I think it was about $1200 for the 2 br but that's little more than a gut feeling.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m sure living in downtown Hartford is quite nice and probably the best possible value for city living. It just takes a few brave souls to break the stigma. Best chance is for people who take jobs in Hartford from out of state who don’t have a negative connotation. The bigger problem is likely attracting those people in the first place.

Reaction Score
Is Bourbon St still there?

From our front full wall size window we could just barely peek into the back window of Bourbon St to check on the action before heading out.

Reaction Score
I’m sure living in downtown Hartford is quite nice and probably the best possible value for city living. It just takes a few brave souls to break the stigma. Best chance is for people who take jobs in Hartford from out of state who don’t have a negative connotation. The bigger problem is likely attracting those people in the first place.

The stigma is not from people who live there. They have filled close to 1,000 new units downtown in the last five years and another 50o will open in the next year. I have stayed stay downtown for business and have for the past 20 years. There are good hotels, restaurants, drinking holes and diversions. BTW, they have had no problem filling up the new units or getting the rents they ask. They go fast.

Reaction Score
Is Bourbon St still there?

From our front full wall size window we could just barely peek into the back window of Bourbon St to check on the action before heading out.
Bourbon Street is long gone. Coach's too. The only thing left is the Federal for those folks who need a drink at 10:00 AM. Front Street has sucked the life out of the Union Station area.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If Bridgeport is of interest to anyone, find the best unit you can while they are cheap. I can't see how this place won't be very well redeveloped. There's way too much history and culture here. And way too many projects going on right now. This city should be very heavily redeveloped by 2019/2020. Posting this link to give an idea of what Bridgeport is becoming. New amphitheater should also end up attracting big names. RIP Bluefish.

Jim Breuer to headline Bridgeport comedy club's opening

They are also in the process of cleaning up and slowly beginning to redevelop the East Side. East Main St area can easily be something like a mini-Greenpoint (Brooklyn).

Ganim touts major developments across city

"According to Ganim, more than $2.5 billion worth of proposed projects are either under construction or ready to break ground this year."
How much of that 2.5 B is Ganim skimming?

Reaction Score
Bourbon Street is long gone. Coach's too. The only thing left is the Federal for those folks who need a drink at 10:00 AM. Front Street has sucked the life out of the Union Station area.
I had some good times at those places...so I'm told.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom