Does anyone else think it was somewhat strange to schedule Spring | The Boneyard

Does anyone else think it was somewhat strange to schedule Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
practice the way we did? A week of practice, then a week off before coming back to practice again? Seeems a little disjointed to me.

Reaction Score
Feels intentional to me. HCBD seems to have a method to his madness, so to speak. He had months to determine dates and selcted this approach. My take is he wanted to take a few days after weight training to work on fundamentals and the continued rebuild of this team, psychologically. Now, when they return, they can work on installing schemes and building out playbook. Just one man's opinion

Reaction Score
Not really... there are quite a bit of schools that start, take a break and re-start. Bama and tOSU are two (and yes, I realize we're not Bama or tOSU). I think UNC was another?

Reaction Score
Ok. It might be very common. Just seems a little disjointed to me. But I also agree that diaco doesn't seem to take a breath without having some thought out reason for it, so he probably has one for this, too.

Reaction Score
Football by nature is completely disjointed in practice. It's a long term project to assemble a team for a football season, and the majority of practices look nothing like an actual game. (Captain Obvious)

Sometimes calendars just get set up that way academically adn athletically and there is nothing you can do about it in spring. I think it's better to have a spring break week, than to start really early or something. Cutcliffe started the Duke spring season REALLY early this year. He had his reasons, but I think it's better to get the physical conditioning in early, and then do the installs and team practices later in the spring.

This is a new coaching staff and they just spent their very first week of practice together on the field with their players. They have the practice film. They've seen the players in person with their own eyes, listened with their own ears, tasted with their own tongues...ok, that's gross. But get the picture. I

The idea, is that hopefully they are going to tailor their systems to the best fit for the players they have. I think it's highly likely that they intentionally scheduled only one week prior to spring break, with the plan of having the spring break week to evaluate the entire roster for that purpose, after seeing them in pads and helmets for the first time.

Reaction Score
practice the way we did? A week of practice, then a week off before coming back to practice again? Seeems a little disjointed to me.
It all has to do with the rules and consecutive practices.:

A college is allowed to hold 15 spring practices, including a spring game. Schools are also permitted to have separate days during which activities are limited to required conditioning activities and/or watching film. These 15 practices must be completed within a period of 34 consecutive calendar days. Exceptions to consecutive days are university-sanctioned vacation and examination days, and days with inclement weather, restricting the possibility of practice. Only 12 spring practices may permit physical contact, none earlier than the third practice session. Tackling is allowed in eight of the twelve contact sessions. Up to three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted to 11-on-11 scrimmages. The optional spring game counts as one of the three scrimmage days.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I like that the kids went off on spring break with Diaco being the last thing they heard...

Reaction Score
Think about every fact you have read on how BD felt about the physical and mental condition of this team. That and how the staff could not wait to get a start on things, evaluation etc. This just not working from past film.
I think it was important to get into conditioning and in their heads asap. It may be done different in the future but the new start could not happen fast enough. Also you have the entire team going on break and you want enough control to make sure you see them at Shenkman and not the Rockville Court upon return.
From what I have seen and heard the team is all in on what the staff is doing. Sometimes you have to be a little disjointed to turn something around that was very disjointed.
IN BOB WE TRUST ...

Reaction Score
>>On how he felt about the players coming back after time off

“I really was [happy]. You know, a lot of coaches have been a part of some post-spring break practices where the players had trouble getting through stretch. So maybe spring breaks are a little different than when I went on spring break. I thought the team responded really well, the guys were on time last night to check in, they were excited and prompt which was a great sign of a focused group that took some time away. Hopefully they took some time away physically and mentally but if they didn’t as much physically as we would like they definitely did mentally so it was positive.<<

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It sounds like this is something Diaco gave some thought to while being an assistant. A week on then a week of to let what he's trying to do sink in and germinate. Then a week back on to reinforce. I don't think disjointed fits at all. Again, this guy has a plan. Sharpshoot, if you must but I don't see why you would at this stage.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In top programs, players work on their own. By giving them a week in between practices, Diaco extends spring football, allows the players to work out on their own and absorb the material for the first week.

He also gets a better picture on who is dedicated to the program and who isn't.

The risk is that there aren't as many dedicated to excellence as you need. P didn't address it and paid the price. I doubt Diaco is as passive in that regard.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am enjoying my dose of Vitamin Diaco. We need somoene to photoshop a Vitamin D bottle and change it to "Vitamin Diaco".

VitaminD.png

Reaction Score
In top programs, players work on their own. By giving them a week in between practices, Diaco extends spring football, allows the players to work out on their own and absorb the material for the first week.

He also gets a better picture on who is dedicated to the program and who isn't.

The risk is that there aren't as many dedicated to excellence as you need. P didn't address it and paid the price. I doubt Diaco is as passive in that regard.
AND THE SERVEY SAYS!!!....DING!!
#1 answer.
Not too many players were far away from the weight room or film room.
Unless you had a note from Juan Epsteins mother.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nebraska has done this the past couple years. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember they did this when Jackson was the head guy. Maybe it was Holtz.

Reaction Score
psst... it's getting extra time, without getting extra time.
But you didn't hear that from me!

Reaction Score
It's perfectly logical for all the reasons listed above. I wonder if it's legal to have the first week of practice during Spring Break. The players would be able to spend all of the week thinking football, almost like NFL spring training, then you could take a week off, let it sink in and let the kids get readjusted to classwork, then come back a week later to polish up and act on evaluations the coaches made during the off week. plus you'd take "spring break rust" out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom