Does anybody know C's & PF's left in the transfer portal? | The Boneyard

Does anybody know C's & PF's left in the transfer portal?

Reaction Score
Hey there BYers!
Anyone have the skinny on players that are PF's and C's still in the Transfer Portal?
Anyone worth going after?

Reaction Score
personally still think a backup center would be a good idea,... Dauda or Natabou decided yet, or is Natabou not UConn material, even for one year backup?

Reaction Score
Arkansas’s Maryam Dauda, 6’4, F, Soph. (10.1 ppg, 6.3 rpg)

Texas A&M’s Janiah Barker, 6’4, F, Soph. (12.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg)

Arkansas Pine Bluffs Maori Davenport, 6’5, C, Sr. (4.7 ppg, 5.6 rpg)

Reaction Score

Dugway- - Thanks for your help!
Two good ones left in Dauda & Barker!

Reaction Score

NICE, Does anyone think that Janiah Barker plays more like a POWER FORWARD rather
than a Center? Note: Janiah was on the USA's Women's 3X3 team with Ayanna Patterson.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
NICE, Does anyone think that Janiah Barker plays more like a POWER FORWARD rather
than a Center? Note: Janiah was on the USA's Women's 3X3 team with Ayanna Patterson.
Barker is definitely a forward rather than a center. The way she handles and finishes at the rim has shades of Candace Parker in her younger days, though Janiah hasn't shown to be anywhere near the player Parker was. That said, Barker is immensely talented but often tries to do a lot and isn't very disciplined. The right coach could mold her into a great player, but I don't think she's a fit for a program like UCONN that has a structured offense which relies more on ball movement opposed to individual playmaking.

I think Dauda is a better fit between the two for UCONN. She's a true post presence defensively and her skill set is that of a shot blocking center with a good face up game offensively. I think she would fill in well to provide front court depth.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
6479122C-D266-4E49-8F08-01637AA17EA2.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised King's name hasn't popped up more on the boneyard. Obviously a tall post player, preferably a 5 not a 4, would be the first priority, but those are mostly gone. King is only 6-0, more of an undersized 4, but her stats are impressive. Like Aubrey or Mir, she rebounds and blocks shots like a player much bigger, and has played in a tough conference, but on a team that was weak in that conference.

I think she, Dauda, and Barker are the only players left that would likely challenge Ayanna and Ice for playing time and be likely upgrades. King is the only one of those three that only has 1 year of eligibility left (a plus in my opinion).

Williams and Natabu I would classify as having some insurance value for a year, and for bigs that is still probably worth pursuing, but I would expect their role would be more emergency use if multiple injuries.

Stevenson and the previously mentioned Davenport are players I have not yet looked up any stats on and have no knowledge of.

Reaction Score
Players that have performed well in the SEC or Big10 would provide immediate help and insurance throughout the season.

Reaction Score

If Geno isn't going to play a player like Amari then getting one of these players is a waste of a scholarship. If they go after a player that isn't a GS then that person must be worth a scholarship slot in the future and I don't see that being the case with this group. There is a reason they are still available and the top team in the country doesn't need players no one else is fighting for.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hey, Deja Kelly is still available!
She can stay available as far as I am concerned. Does not have a good shooting percentage and does not play team ball. She would not be an upgrade, imo.

Reaction Score

Scratch Davenport off the list. She recently committed to Alabama A&M.

Reaction Score
She can stay available as far as I am concerned. Does not have a good shooting percentage and does not play team ball. She would not be an upgrade, imo.
Sorry. I forgot my sarcasm emoji.

Don’t get me wrong. Deja is a talented sg. But she’s an expensive player on any roster because you end up building the team around her requirements. She can get buckets in clutch moments and that distracts from her downside. The Tarheels have suffered from her talents for too long already.

Reaction Score
Um, not any longer...committed to Oregon. And she isn't a C or PF, re OP :):rolleyes:
Darn. I really got to do something about that sarcasm emoji. For some reason it keeps failing to load.

No wait, I'm supposed to say, "Um... "

Reaction Score
I heard she committed to Oregon
Just about to post this. Just got the Oregon Duck call (3 hours later).....Deja Kelly going to Eugene. Huge get for Coach Graves and the Oregon program.

Reaction Score
Deja Kelly going to Eugene. Huge get for Coach Graves and the Oregon program.
I’m not so sure how big a get she really is. Like Hailey Van Lith, she’s productive but not sure she’s constructive. She doesn’t seem to fit well into a team not built around her, and she’s not a big enough talent to carry an entire team. I suspect Ustby’s talent would have been apparent sooner and to greater effect without Deja on the team.

Reaction Score
What is most amusing about most of these names particularly of C's being thrown around at 6'4" 6' 5" and on and on is whether these players are skilled. It seems that some loyal, intelligent BY'ers need to be reminded that height is not any guarantee of playing ability. As was stated earlier by Rowdy831 and probably others, there is a reason why they still are available. As far as recruiting, I think Geno, CD and the coaching staff know what they want and need. So I'll leave it to them and stay out of it.

Reaction Score
While I would love to have another solid Big, many seem to forget that UConn was a top team this past year with a 4-guard offense, most of whom are a year smarter and coming back. With our injured reserved healed and several very strong recruits, none of our opposition is taking the Huskies for granted. That being said, suspect there is a surprise recruit that Geno will announce soon. It's a big world out there.

Reaction Score
As others have already said, we need a post player who plays close to the basket, who has experience and who scores at least 10/15 points and who rebounds well... Who acst as a mother hen for our young people... I know there is only one place left, in my opinion it is worth filling it (even if not really large because they are now scarce in the portal) than leaving it empty, because as history teaches you never know what can happen...ciao

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe King committed to Notre Dame and Whitehorn was rumored to be a lock to Tennessee, or at least they think so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom