OT: - Do we need a guide to Boneyard Mojo? | The Boneyard

OT: Do we need a guide to Boneyard Mojo?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
As this season progresses along the trajectory that many of us are assuming it might, we can expect a large influx of new Boneyard members. While I think most would agree that the BY is a pretty free flowing platform, there are some traditional and/or ritualistic practices that newcomers would benefit from knowing. Firstly, the Boneyard did not invent Mojo. The concept of appeasing, or at least not aggravating, the Gods of any particular sport is as old as sport itself. You may choose to ignore this concept but you can expect to incur a little pushback from those who don't. Many of the Boneyard traditions or rituals have been season-specific; The Sacreds, Fort the Ead, Makers Mark, and Senhor Testiculo to name a few. The most constant BY tradition, at least in my experience, is the use of "doomed" as an expression of confidence, to avoid appearing hubristic before the basketball Gods. Generally, the more O's in the word, the more confident that poster is. Again, BY newcomers are under no obligation to observe this silliness, but you are not likely to dissuade those of us accustomed to doing so from continuing to do so. I know that anybody telling me to stop using 'doomed' is going to be disappointed - it's in the DNA.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BYshirt.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Right. I mean, I'm only the guy that came up with "If you think it affects the Mojo, it does".

Your next contribution to a title will be your first one, simp.
I get it. You had no faith in the team last year so you bailed. This year, this team, looks amazing so you want climb back on board. That’s not how it works.

You said you were out last year, and totally shat on the whole process on your way out the door. Kind of a gutless crappy thing to do, but you did it. So man up and live with it.

You don’t have to go away, mad Deep, just go away.

Reaction Score
For me mojo appears when I've given up on my team. For me it's the most important rule of mojo.... it finds you when you've lost all hope.

I've been surprised by this squad. Had no idea it was coming. Had started to give up on DH. In particular I had started to give up on DHs ability to evaluate talent and construct a team.

SO Here's to losing all hope

Great Gatsby Movie GIF by Sony

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Absolutely nothing, as we saw last season.
Aw geez, something's wrong with my screen again. It won't show Posts 3 or 5. Washed-up fraidy cat be puffing again. He had a spectacular run, and now can't accept that even sugar peas lose their snap.

He who playacts being "He who must be [obeyed/sanctified/lauded/whatever]," the one who feels the compulsion to cling to past glory like the archetypal aging golden boy, steps in, steps out, bloviates, vacillates, flip-flops, interrupts, blusters, and sputters like a once-was fauxthoritarian hawking NFT trading cards.

He Ignores those who threaten his misplaced ego quest, trying one more time to be the cocky con man who bluffs that only he knows and only he can deliver...and he knows perfectly well that he has no intention of leading but is too cowardly to say so, when it's the most valuable & powerful thing he can do.

Well, here's the bottom line:

Bring it if you've got it, but otherwise, right-size, and do your best as a teammate on a worthy mission. There's no shame in that.

Face your fears and move through them.

Screenshot_20221216-010452.png

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you think if affects mojo, it affects mojo.
The principle is impeccable, and its source is under no dispute.

To elevate the animating personality above the actual lightning-caught-in-a-bottle principle is (truly) doomed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The only thing that irritates me is when posters try to force something and call it positive mojo. Mojo has to happen, in it's own, without any disruption or influence.

The worst thing we can do is look at some silly, quirky, amusing, whatever and try to force it into becoming a talisman for our mojo. Winning happened on its own (and grew at a massive level in no time). Senhor happened on its own and grew in a different, more pervasive (and yes, possibly perverted) way.

This year's mojo is out there. We need to be patient, it will find us if we let it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Simpletons.

If you think if affects mojo, it affects mojo.

Done.
Yes, with a single caveat. Where the mojo is a collective exercise, such as the Haiku thread, either do it right or stay away. Else you suffer the wrath of @Hans Sprungfeld Likewise the U C O N N thread. Get it right or avoid.

Thank god I never drank that swill from Latrobe during any prior Championship run, so for me, the mojo requires the absence of Rolling Rock.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If you ask me, last seasons sentencing is aging like a fine wine. It just took a bit to get going. There’s a reason Deep hasn’t changed his profile pic, and don’t you dare do so now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you ask me, last seasons sentencing is aging like a fine wine. It just took a bit to get going. There’s a reason Deep hasn’t changed his profile pic, and don’t you dare do so now.
Completely agree, if you think that a bottle of Boones Farm left out in a car in 90° weather for a week as aging a fine wine.

Last year’s debacle resulted in a first round exit. I think most of us are hoping for better.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Or not. We have enough weirdos, thank you
Ventured over recently and it’s changed but not sure in a good way. The insight and knowledge from the old names is still there and as in the past first class.

However the number of posts that are absolutely clueless of events shocked me. I couldn’t decide if it was increased senility, immaturity or an overwhelming number of super casual fans that recently joined the forum.

And the cattiness. There still is the degree of decorum and absence of personal attack that you have maintained from the get go but now anyone with a different opinion gets a thumb down even if it has merit. Extremely passive aggressive.

I used to go there when the insanity in this asylum reached a level that straight jackets would be ineffective against feeling a sanitized environment was good for the soul. Did that even with my discomfort of sanitized discussions. And yes I understand perfectly well the rationale of your position. That you were sacrificing your preference for the sake of individuals who frequented that forum.

But now I have to say I miss that sanitized environment. l admire your ability to stay above the fray. At least most of the time. And those times when you need to throw cold water on situations. Well for me it’s pure entertainment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom