Do college coaches go to the NBA any more? | The Boneyard

Do college coaches go to the NBA any more?

Reaction Score
I am scrolling through bios on NBA head coaches. I see TWO total former head D1 coaches: Snyder was at Missouri for 6 years, and of course Billy Donovan was a beast at Florida and UK.

There are way more coaches working their way up from player development and the G-league than college coaches making the jump. Makes me wonder if there's really even a place for talented college coaches in the league any more.

It's an entirely different culture, game, and even way of living. One of the biggest parts of being a college coach is recruiting talent, and that is nowhere on an NBA job description. Much less player development too.

I figured one more off-season thread couldn't hurt. Thoughts?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think Cal will go at some point. Jay Wright turned down the 76ers if I’m remembering correctly. Coach K I believe turned down some teams. Self seems satisfied at KU. It would need to be someone like Scott Drew or Dan next imo.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to? Top college coaches have unlimited job security, total authority over their program (no GM/front office to deal with), no diva personalities, and very similar pay.

I know Hurley has said he wants to coach in the NBA at some point, but the way he talks about building culture and family within the organization is something that doesn’t exist in the NBA. I can’t see him having to work under a dysfunctional front office because the only reason why NBA jobs open up is because their organization is terrible.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to? Top college coaches have unlimited job security, total authority over their program (no GM/front office to deal with), no diva personalities, and very similar pay.

I know Hurley has said he wants to coach in the NBA at some point, but the way he talks about building culture and family within the organization is something that doesn’t exist in the NBA. I can’t see him having to work under a dysfunctional front office because the only reason why NBA jobs open up is because their organization is terrible.

His best characteristics aren't really that valuable in the NBA, either. Not that he isn't an awesome Xs and Os guy, but he's most known for player development, recruiting/scouting, roster management, etc. You don't really do much of that as an NBA coach.

I still think he goes to the league one day and could do really well, but who knows.

Reaction Score
You're right. They seem to be a different breed. I think coaching an nba team would be a nightmare, personally. whereas coaching a good college program seems like a real hands on experience. Also, quality of life: most middle age people gravitate towards college towns as opposed to big cities (and their wives prefer it too). I was over big city life after my early 30s.

Reaction Score
I am scrolling through bios on NBA head coaches. I see TWO total former head D1 coaches: Snyder was at Missouri for 6 years, and of course Billy Donovan was a beast at Florida and UK.

There are way more coaches working their way up from player development and the G-league than college coaches making the jump. Makes me wonder if there's really even a place for talented college coaches in the league any more.

It's an entirely different culture, game, and even way of living. One of the biggest parts of being a college coach is recruiting talent, and that is nowhere on an NBA job description. Much less player development too.

Have college coaches ever done well in the NBA? It seems like they've all failed in the NBA in my lifetime. I can't even think of anyone who has done well off the top of my head.

I have a feeling the NBA coaches would fail in the college game as well. It's all so different.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Because you get paid millions of dollars to be a glorified baby sitter. If you get fired you’ll have the pick of any top college job in the country. You don’t have to deal with recruiting, insane parents, and the fans aren’t as crazy. Being a college coach might make you more famous, but it’s obviously much more stressful.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
His best characteristics aren't really that valuable in the NBA, either. Not that he isn't an awesome Xs and Os guy, but he's most known for player development, recruiting/scouting, roster management, etc. You don't really do much of that as an NBA coach.

I still think he goes to the league one day and could do really well, but who knows.
I think if he strings together a couple sweet 16 and elite 8 and more chip in the next 5 years he will get a chance. He pull be 55 years old so the clock is ticking for him. He may need to win another chip in the next three years. These coaches get younger and younger and in his mid fifties he may be looked over. But he does seem like a young 50 and he seems to relate well to his players. But the tough love approach just is not the way to go in the nba. In fact of all the major sports I think head coach for an nba team is the hardest. Mostly because the players have way to much power on how/style the team plays. Let’s face it in the nba the best skill set you can have is the ability to get people with different agendas to get along.

Reaction Score

It's fine to go for it if you're Mike Montgomery or Leonard Hamilton but I never understood the guys who are on their way to legend status in college leaving. I thought it was insane that Calhoun ever even entertained it...

All those things you pointed out are why it's crazy to leave. Unlimited job security vs. no job security. The superstars don't run things on your team. You don't answer to anyone. It's your roster and your rules. You're the most popular person at your University and often times in your state and if you're incredibly successful you reach legend status. The top college coaches always got more shine and fame than the top NBA coaches. Outside of Riley and Phil Jackson who even really pays attention to pro coaches? And even in their cases it was all about Jordan and Magic. Maybe Pop and Kerr in modern days?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Brad Stevens did pretty well.

High level thoughts. In football, most of the creativity comes from college and moves into the NFL. So there is always a pipeline from college to NFL because college is ahead in many ways. In the NBA, most teams are running offense and defense that is far beyond what they run in college. So a college coach isn’t getting experience with NBA level stuff.

Hurley is interesting. His offense at URI wasn’t interesting. His early offense at UConn was constrained by the roster. But last year he ran an offense more like the NBA than I’ve seen since the NBA moved away from ISO ball. He might pull it off

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No you won't. I agree with the rest of your post though.
Eh. Let’s use Cal as an example. If he goes to the league, gets fired after 2/3 seasons, you don’t think every high, high major with an opening would offer him their job? If Cal doesn’t work, use Scott Drew or Hurley as examples.

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens did pretty well.

High level thoughts. In football, most of the creativity comes from college and moves into the NFL. So there is always a pipeline from college to NFL because college is ahead in many ways. In the NBA, most teams are running offense and defense that is far beyond what they run in college. So a college coach isn’t getting experience with NBA level stuff.

Hurley is interesting. His offense at URI wasn’t interesting. His early offense at UConn was constrained by the roster. But last year he ran an offense more like the NBA than I’ve seen since the NBA moved away from ISO ball. He might pull it off
Stevens did so well they told him he could no longer be their coach but they like him in the office.

Reaction Score
It's fine to go for it if you're Mike Montgomery or Leonard Hamilton but I never understood the guys who are on their way to legend status in college leaving. I thought it was insane that Calhoun ever even entertained it...

All those things you pointed out are why it's crazy to leave. Unlimited job security vs. no job security. The superstars don't run things on your team. You don't answer to anyone. It's your roster and your rules. You're the most popular person at your University and often times in your state and if you're incredibly successful you reach legend status. The top college coaches always got more shine and fame than the top NBA coaches. Outside of Riley and Phil Jackson who even really pays attention to pro coaches? And even in their cases it was all about Jordan and Magic. Maybe Pop and Kerr in modern days?
Calhoun was approached two different times by NBA teams and he turned them both down.

Reaction Score
Eh. Let’s use Cal as an example. If he goes to the league, gets fired after 2/3 seasons, you don’t think every high, high major with an opening would offer him their job? If Cal doesn’t work, use Scott Drew or Hurley as examples.
No I don't. Calipari years ago maybe.

Pitino would always get offers because he's a coaching genius but he left the best job he ever had in his mid 40's.

Reaction Score
If you think about what makes a good college coach...

Recruiting
Emotional Development/Mentoring
Fundraising/Donors
Player Development/Skills to NBA
Gameplanning
In Game X/O's and Mid-Game Adjustments

An NBA coach doesn't recruit. Doesn't develop maturity or "make men". Doesn't worry about any fundraising or money. Doesn't worry about building a good bridge to the NBA. They're really all about game planning and X/O type advice. I feel like Hurley is SO good at some of the other things, it doesn't make sense to try for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was approached two different times by NBA teams and he turned them both down.
He's said a lot of things in interviews over the years about coaching in the NBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom