DL Travis Jones headed to Senior Bowl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DL Travis Jones headed to Senior Bowl

Reaction Score

-> UConn hasn’t been a powerhouse for top prospects in the past, but they’ve been able to produce a star in Jones. Since coming into the program as a freshman in 2018, Jones let his presence be known early in his career. However, Jones didn’t step onto campus as a star; he actually came to UConn in 2018 as a 356-pound guard before making the move to defensive tackle. Jones’ weight was one of the main reasons he ended up at UConn as other schools didn’t see the ability to cut off the bad weight. Soon enough, Jones was able to cut down to 330 pounds while being one of the quickest players on the field. This weight loss and body transformation didn’t come out of nowhere as the UConn staff and Jones’ incredible work ethic put him in position to succeed today. Defensive coordinator Lou Spanos said about Jones last summer, “If we walk in the room, you’ll see Travis first. If he’s 10 yards behind me, you’ll see Travis first.” The staff had nothing but great things to say about his work ethic.

As a defensive tackle, Jones has put up great tape since his freshman year in 2018. UConn wasn’t able to play in 2020 due to COVID, making Jones a three-year starter. His massive size and strength has made him become a problem in the middle of the defensive line against competition as high as Clemson. Jones projects as a pure nose or one-tech, but has the acceleration and twitchiness to rush the passer on third downs. He’s shown the ability to take on double teams and anchor well. As a pass rusher, his length makes it tough for linemen to latch their hands on him and he works his own hands with speed to win reps consistently. Nose tackles with the ability to rush the passer are rare and for many schemes in the NFL, Jones will be a perfect fit. <-

I love Travis, but don’t envision him as anything more than a push the pocket type pass rusher.

Reaction Score
Another benefit of these pay games....players get tape against top opponents.
Absolutely. And he stepped up to the challenged. He looked like he belonged (for lack of a better term) playing against a very good Clemson Oline.

Reaction Score
Darren Beavers was a bigger loss than many acknowledged.
Eh, if you followed this program you knew it was a HUGE loss. Thing is, kids see where things are trending. This thing under the last staff never came close to getting off the ground.

Reaction Score
Yes we have. We've had horrible coaching.
Two things could be true. Coaching has been terrible, but we had 12 sacks as a team. Those are numbers that the likes of Cody Brown, Lindsey Whitten and Trevardo Williams came close to getting by themselves. Travis was head and shoulders the best player on that DL.

Reaction Score
Travis Jones is making the top Olinemen in the country look silly. He's absolutely manhandling them. I truly believe he's a solid combine showing away from pushing himself into an early second round to late first round pick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I am not comparing Jones to Aaron Donald......I was able to watch Aaron Donald at the Senior Bowl practices and saw Donald blow up all the offensive linemen in the drills. It was a sight to see the shortest and lightest interior D Lineman just overpower every O Lineman in the drills. Looks like Jones is doing the same.

As a fan at the practices it can be very obvious in these position drills when a player is just physically better than the opposition. I remember when Marquise Goodwin from Texas was there and was 2-3 steps faster than every DB. Doesn't mean raw talent or physical attributes means you are a great NFL player but it is neat to see someone dominate against supposedly peer competition.

And it is eating away at me that the Senior Bowl practices are only an hour away and I can't make any this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom