Disturbing tendencies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Disturbing tendencies

Reaction Score
After the 5--adding Z, a needed post, and then Walker, AEH ---the chemistry developed last year--requires Geno to fill the vials from different beakers. With Katie Lou out --the defensive and offensive --mix loses it's typical characteristics and the adjustments adds confusion factors the team needs time to get into the Chemistry.
Z while mobile, isn't as athletic as KLS or as Familiar with the lob or catching a pass on the run, it's coming.
I've seen a number of passes Azure has saved from going out of bounds under the basket bent over backward and made a layup, saving a teammate from a turnover. The only problem i have with Azure so far is to many 3's.

Reaction Score
Truth to be told is that we are spoiled rotten fans as we expect UConn to perform a concert every game :) as such, watching this game was disappointing to me...all respect to NV, their coach and hard working kids but UConn "should" win games like this by 50...what's troubling for me is that is a team like NV can basically play UConn to a stand still in the second half it showed a vulnerability in the aura of UConn and the intimidation factor...hopefully Geno can find some solutions (I'm sure that having KLS will help but how long will it take her to get back to top playing shape)!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What @JRRRJ said in another thread. And said well as far as I'm concerned.
JR should know that it was Gabby's home game. Players are rarely "themselves" when playing in front of all their family and friends.

Reaction Score
Uconn had a tough time in beating a team by 30? There was some sloppy play at times, but the game was never in doudt. Some are concerned about Notre Dame. I think UCLA is just as good as Notre Dame and UCONN beat them at their place. The Notre Dame game is a UCONN home game. Some are complaining about the defense and that has been a strong point this season. A lot of opinions on this board are formed after things that happened in one game. Some are asking why AEH did not play. I thought decisions on who plays are made at practice. Well, it's tough being UCONN fan.

19 points ?? The Nevada team battled back, with the starting five. Uconn was NEVER in danger of losing, make no mistake.\You are biting on the cupcake. Stale; because they are a bit harder than fresh. I didn't and don't think of Nevada as a cupcake. Had they been the garden variety of Cupcakes--50 point wins are easy. Lots of factors not winning by 50 or 30.
You know them as well as I, no point in listing them.
My comment was a play on the words presented: Cupcake.
I didn't question the absence or presence of any Uconn player. AEH, from the limited time seen has potential. Z from the time seen, is improving--if she were "there" I believe Geno would have rested her. These previous games including Nevada, I believe Geno is working Z into the line up--start some time--sometimes another start--he has the tools to rotate starters, he is teaching in these games. \
If you think it's tough being a UConn fan--try being a MD, Duke, etc fan--our greatest angst --is will the score be 19, 40 , or 60 and win the MOV contest.

Reaction Score
This seems to be a yearly BY outcry regardless of how well the team is playing. Remember (post Stanford) when UCONN's "Achilles heal" was quick penetrating guards? Remember when Mabrey lit us up for a half & UCONN's "Achilles heal" changed to not being able to defend 3 point line. Remember just this past summer where Geno can't win a close game or recruit a good post player? The beat goes on.....
(
The Uconn weakness of defending quick penetrating guards didn't begin or end with Stanford, it goes back a bit past the Stanford streak breaker. In that game, Stanford's guard(s) created enough issues to aid in the loss. Then Fast forward Dayton aided by great 3 shooting and penetration, but a win. The real cause of the Stanford loss was Saniya--she only got 20 points--24 and it's a Uconn win.

I think the greatest complaint was Geno doesn't win in OT---Notre Dame--(Muffet has Geno's number)-series, 3OT's, and of Course the BIG ONE---Mississippi St's drubbing of Geno's Uconn--in OT. (only one this time)

Reaction Score
I was one of those misguided soles that felt Nevada might be a cupcake, but they got my attention after beating SMU. While the Mustangs are middle of the pack in the AAC, under Travis Mays they’re building a competitive program that’s on an upward trajectory. I would not be surprised to see Nevada in the Big Dance this year.

Opinions after a win , close, or loss are just opinions, if they were facts---Geno would be out of a job.
The reason these boards exist is to allow experts, knowledgeables, ignorants and just plain fans to express themselves about their team. No harm no foul, and if it works right all have fun. (

Reaction Score
I've seen a number of passes Azure has saved from going out of bounds under the basket bent over backward and made a layup, saving a teammate from a turnover. The only problem i have with Azure so far is to many 3's.
Would that really bother you if she made 70 percent of them? She is settling into the Uconn chemistry and Geno is working to get what he expects from her. No a pleasant place to me for a hard working dedicated kid.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The Reno newspaper account of the game highlighted Gabby’s performance - not a surprise, of course. But they also mentioned something that I haven’t read elsewhere: that she was playing while not feeling well.

There’s plenty of sickness where I work and I imagine elsewhere. So perhaps some of the Huskies were feeling even more of the effects of being on such a long road trip?

Reaction Score
Stewie had, and still has times when she can't hit a 3 pt shot, but she keeps shooting, it opens up her overall game. Z needs to keep that part of her game, to keep other teams aware, so she has the opportunity to drive.

Reaction Score
What would have to happen, every game, for threads like this not to pop up periodically ?
Would the Huskies have to duplicate their first half margin (currently about 24 points per game against a very tough schedule) in the second half ?
That would result in 50 point wins against top 20 teams.
Would that do it ?
Well, since I started this, I probably should at least take a stab at an answer. We, all of us, are spoiled. We are used to a certain level of play, and we are used to seeing players push to achieve the unachievable -- perfection. Over the last two years, IIRC, BYers have come to agree that a major reason we like watching the team even when they win by 40 or 50 is because it's a sort of performance art. That the score is irrelevant, mostly, because what we want to see is a great level of play.

Well, they aren't at that level yet. That's really the main point I was making. And honestly, I think it's a normal thing to find that at least some observers are having this reaction. Not for years has this been a fan base that was simply happy with games that end 96-46, or whatever. We've tended to be folks who want to know HOW it happened, and to be assured that it happened because of a level of quality displayed by superior players coached superbly. I can speak for no one else, but for me, the margin isn't the point. The way they play is the point.

Reaction Score
Exactly. It's insane. The only disturding tendency is that more and more are negative. A sign of the times in everyday life perhaps spilling over?
Agree in part that many overreact. That being said, some minor tendencies that appear to be holdovers from last year that hurt in the Semi loss. Quick guards seem to be able to drive to basket for layups or kick outs for open 3's. In general, too many open 3's-Nevada proved that a good shooting team can score against UConn from behind the line. That being said, only 3-4 teams in US that have these skills and suspect after last year's loss Geno is working on this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, since I started this, I probably should at least take a stab at an answer. We, all of us, are spoiled. We are used to a certain level of play, and we are used to seeing players push to achieve the unachievable -- perfection. Over the last two years, IIRC, BYers have come to agree that a major reason we like watching the team even when they win by 40 or 50 is because it's a sort of performance art. That the score is irrelevant, mostly, because what we want to see is a great level of play.
Well, they aren't at that level yet. That's really the main point I was making. And honestly, I think it's a normal thing to find that at least some observers are having this reaction. Not for years has this been a fan base that was simply happy with games that end 96-46, or whatever. We've tended to be folks who want to know HOW it happened, and to be assured that it happened because of a level of quality displayed by superior players coached superbly. I can speak for no one else, but for me, the margin isn't the point. The way they play is the point.
Did I ever mention how much I hate instant coffee and can you guess why?
Try and enjoy the process of this team trying to achieve perfection instead of dwelling on the team not being perfect 6 games into the season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the Notre Dame effect is kicking in

images

Reaction Score
IF by chance ND does beat UConn....I don't want to be on this board come next Sunday evening, onto next week and beyond. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
IF by chance ND does beat UConn....I don't want to be on this board come next Sunday evening, onto next week and beyond. :rolleyes:
Perish the thought.... :oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
the Notre Dame effect is kicking in

images

This time of year motivates me to listen to a little diddy inspired by Muffet.. " We just want your whey"

Reaction Score
Truth to be told is that we are spoiled rotten fans as we expect UConn to perform a concert every game :) as such, watching this game was disappointing to me...all respect to NV, their coach and hard working kids but UConn "should" win games like this by 50...what's troubling for me is that is a team like NV can basically play UConn to a stand still in the second half it showed a vulnerability in the aura of UConn and the intimidation factor...hopefully Geno can find some solutions (I'm sure that having KLS will help but how long will it take her to get back to top playing shape)!

Yes we are spoiled rotten. I got the same feeling this game that you did. As far as the offense, as Lou is in form, if Collier and Z can hit 3's like they are capable and Gabby take better control of the ball like she is capable, the team becomes unbeatable. Because offensively nobody can match up. OFC defense is needed but overall the D has been very good. I guess as the title of this thread suggests- though it is too harsh of a tile it is "disturbing" to think that they might lose vs. having so much talent. It is not "disturbing" though unless one is spoiled rotten and the expectation is as you say. So yeah a bunch of 20 yo's might lose a game. It would be disappointing, but is it really disturbing? Ohhh the horror.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The only disturbing tendencies I see are the growing number of negative "fans" (and I use that term extremely loosely). This is one of the toughest schedules UCONN has ever started with. We've beaten 4 ranked teams and 2 state Universities. We are not playing Holy Cross or Fairfield. The closest anyone has got is 18 points. Not even close to single digits. Were any games ever even in doubt after halftime?

No, we don't need to worry about the team, we need to worry about the so-called "fans". We could use some new ones around here. Pathetic.

HELL, WE ARE UCONN. WE ARE BAD FOR WBB!!!

rovlta9.jpg

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
What's wrong with you? The Marriage Manual clearly states not to awaken your wife until the lead shrinks to under 20 and to do so, not with a jostle but with an offer to refill her wine glass. What's more, I warned you not to buy a TV.

Can I get a copy of that manual? I don't think I was issued one and I've been playing it by ear fro a while now. Sometimes that doesn't work out so well.

Reaction Score
Are UCONN fans spoiled, of course we are, but like others have said the concern is the level of play and not how much we are winning by.

The half court offense is still lagging, too many turnovers, and we still go about seven deep with players given us consistent valuable playing time (might be eight when BatCam comes back).

I know these worries would be considered nothing for other WCBB teams but this isn’t any other WCBB team “This is UCONN!” (in my King Leonidas voice).

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Can I get a copy of that manual? I don't think I was issued one and I've been playing it by ear fro a while now. Sometimes that doesn't work out so well.
The manual was written by Tommy Manville (worth a Google). I believe it's in paperback.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The manual was written by Tommy Manville (worth a Google). I believe it's in paperback.

13 times to 11 different women?
1. I don't have that kind of money.
2. I kinda like the one I got.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89