OT: - DIII sports experience | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: DIII sports experience

Reaction Score
My knowledge is dated having graduated from an SLA in 1979. Anyway here’s my $.02 given my DIII four year hockey experience (which I loved).

She has to be a star, playing right away as a freshman. Coaches should let a scouted HS senior participate in a practice to allow the kid to know where she stands.

Tuition, after “academic scholarship” should be less than 50% sticker price, closer to 30%.

Most of my peers went to business school or law school after graduating.

If she wants/needs more of a disciplined academic path then UConn might be better. As others offered there will be intramural opportunities.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I played D3 football. If it’s a strong, winning D3 program, it should be ok. If it’s losing D3 basketball, she’s just gonna be playing for the love of the game.Most D3 athletes are just playing for the love of the game.

Reaction Score
D2 schools in the northeast are offering full scolarahips for any decent player these days (they get 11 total). D3 offers a decent amount of aid but you're still looking at 100k+ of debt. More for most.

Advantage of d3 is way better academics and in retrospect I wonder if I should've gone to one for it. I had most of my college for free, but it wasn't a very good school.

Would be curious to hear other HS coaches thoughts on this.

Not a HS coach, but I think D2 has to seem a lot more appealing to most kids. With tuition constantly climbing across the board, those scholarships really make a huge difference. And I think kids are attracted to the "prestige" of a D2 school compared to D3.

As far as whether D3 is better long-term, it'd really depend on how hard you're working at school and whether you make any valuable connections. Going to Trinity is great, but if you're a C-student like a lot of kids are, you probably won't be able to reap the full benefits.

Reaction Score
Now with the interest from these D3's, I'm feeling that most are Liberal Arts schools and when she's looking at the potential course work, she doesn't get excited. Granted, I get it, Wesleyan, Trinity, etc... are great schools, but it feels like she'd struggle to find a major she'd love. (Babson is the exception at this point... any Babson parents??)
Also look to whether she would fit in socially. At a big university (state or private), you'll find your group. But we've found that SLAs tend to fit into one of two buckets: i) very Greek where the fraternities/sororities rule all social life; or ii) very artsy anti-establishment. It's the second bucket where it does seem like the athletes may buck the school trend and be a bit more mainstream. We're struggling a bit to find that happy medium.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My daughter is a DIII athlete at a NESCAC.

Compared to the cost of a in-state public (NY), it costs us about $17,000 more once her scholarship figures in. We have one kid and we were going to pay whatever depending on where she wanted to go. Wasn’t a factor. While she applied as safety schools, we never visited Binghamton or Buffalo, the two most appealing of the SUNY flags. (We hear great things about Bing.)

As for the sport…it’s not easy. It’s a 5:30-7:30 am practice and a 3:30-5:30 practice. She seems to enjoy it and she navigates that, her classes, student gov and working in admissions as an advisor and tour guide. Not sure how.

She very much enjoys a second social group - she has her dorm friend group and her swimming friend group and seems to divide her weekends between them. She spends half of her winter break in Naples, Florida training…we’d rather have her here, but it is what it is.

Overall - seems very much like a positive experience.

Reaction Score
I always thought that D2 or D3 schools found a way to get “scholarship” money to those that they wanted badly on their sports teams. My nephew went to Amherst that way, got the scholarship, supposed to play football, got injured and never got to play. Kept the scholarship all 4 years.

Reaction Score
I always thought that D2 or D3 schools found a way to get “scholarship” money to those that they wanted badly on their sports teams. My nephew went to Amherst that way, got the scholarship, supposed to play football, got injured and never got to play. Kept the scholarship all 4 years.
Depends on the school, but more importantly, it depends on the sport. Mediocre schools will find the money (since they can't give athletic scholarships). For the elite schools (like Amherst), football is the one sport that many will bend for, especially regarding admissions. I know (from a friend) that Williams will get a kid in for football that would never get in for a different sport. For schools that don't give merit aid, I don't know if they play with the need-based numbers. That seems shady.

Reaction Score

D2 has actual scholarships. D3 puts together financial aid packages. Better packages for the better players and for big sports like football or basketball. Basketball players I know seem to get around 50% off tuition, but more at the really wealthy NECSAC schools (Like Amherst). Still ends up being super expensive though for most kids. Many pay way more than UConn would be in-state.

Thinking of D3 sports aid as "scholarships" is probably bad juju. An actual D1 or D2 scholarship covers tuition, room, board, food... all of it. D3 isn't even covering tuition for most athletes. Poor kids are still going to struggle to afford it.

The sports teams at NECSAC schools are loaded with kids who had wealthier parents and decided they wanted to play college sports and pay out of pocket whatever aid doesn't cover.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
D2 has actual scholarships. D3 puts together financial aid packages. Better packages for the better players and for big sports like football or basketball.
I don't think that happens at elite D3 academic schools. Used to happen a long time ago but not now. He mentioned NESCAC and NEWMAC schools so I don't think that happens at any of those schools. Amherst absolutely doesn't do that. Financial aid at schools like that is all need based. They would get all kinds of blow back if they used financial aid to get athletes.

Reaction Score
I don't think that happens at elite D3 academic schools. Used to happen a long time ago but not now. He mentioned NESCAC and NEWMAC schools so I don't think that happens at any of those schools. Amherst absolutely doesn't do that. Financial aid at schools like that is all need based. They would get all kinds of blow back if they used financial aid to get athletes.

All the kids I coach are dufuses who could never get into NESCAC schools, so fair enough lol.

Reaction Score
All the kids I coach are dufuses who could never get into NESCAC schools, so fair enough lol.
Oh they do reach for kids with academics. Each sport gets a certain number of kids the coach can get in. Football has more slots than other sports. Most sports get 2. The academic reach has to be within reason though. You can't put a dufus into the academics at Williams/Amherst/Bowdoin, etc. They won't last. Trinity is notorious for reaching more than other NESCAC schools.

Reaction Score
My overall advice would be to make the best academic decision, even if that means playing a club team instead of D3. Or to play D3 vs D2 for academics, or whatever.

I have seen A LOT of kdis be miserable because they made a sports-first decision instead of the best college for their aspirations outside of sports. Find the right college first, and focus on sports second. The point of college is to be prepared for life and career--sports can't get in the way of that.

At the end of the day, D3 sports are just a time consuming hobby with a cool looking uniform. TONS of D3 kids quit when they realize the time commitment and real life starts to hit junior or senior year.
Wholly agree with this.

Three people close to me who weren’t D1 athletes followed this rule and all three are/were happy with their choices.

My niece plays soccer at a NAIA in Arizona. She could have walked-on at a mid-major D1 and was recruited by a few D3s across the nation, but she’s in a school that has a great program for what she’s interested in, gets to actually play and most games are 60 minutes away or less.

Amongst my friends, one played tennis at Redlands and one played club water polo at UVM. Both situations were picking the school first and then having the sports as a community within the school in addition to other friends you meet along the way.

Random aside, I was student teaching in Stamford and one of my students was being recruited by Notre Dame, Penn State, USC and countless others…including UConn. One day I asked him if there was any chance he’d pick UConn and knowing that I went there he said “No offense, but you’ve seen my offers. No way I’m going there.”

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not basketball but soccer - my daughter could have played and been a starter on many D1 soccer teams including UConn
She did not want to be a D1 athlete - she was a 3 sport starter at one of CT's largest HS since her sophomore year and knew plenty of D1 players who explained to her the commitment and travel. She is a very committed player but the travel and being away from school was not her thing.
I coached soccer for over 25 years and wanted her to play D1 from the time she was U-9. Many of the players I coached who went D1 - a bunch of them ended up transferring to D2 and D3 schools.
My daughter ended playing D3 soccer in CT and achieving numerous awards for on field performance including AA status.
D1 is not for everyone - especially those who want to play as much as possible.
You go where you know in your heart you will be comfortable, however, if she is pro material - that is a different story

Best of luck and wishes for your daughter - its a big decision and really be based on academics and comfort before school name/status IMHO

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I personally went through the decision of playing D3 or going to a bigger school and chose the later and am happy about the decision personally.

She can always walk on which is what I attempted to do until the schedule was just too much for something that wasn’t paying for me to be there. We had 5am workouts for a month before touching a basketball for the club team which was insane plus more. Practices was at 10-11pm at night.

If it doesn’t end up working out for her walking on athletically she can be happy she’s already at a school where she’s getting the most academically.

Someone who was actually on that club team with me dropped out for a semester his sophomore year to train, went to a juco, and then ended up starting at Tulsa his junior and senior year. Played against UConn a few times during the Ollie era which was cool to see.

There’s a lot of ways to skin a cat when it comes to making it D1. I know so many people who start off small and end up being like one of the best players on a team later on.

Reaction Score
Random aside, I was student teaching in Stamford and one of my students was being recruited by Notre Dame, Penn State, USC and countless others…including UConn. One day I asked him if there was any chance he’d pick UConn and knowing that I went there he said “No offense, but you’ve seen my offers. No way I’m going there.”
where did the student enroll?

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
The one thing I'd say is high amounts of student debt is a poor investment unless you are going into a very few specific fields. College doesn't need to be solely about being a "good investment" but I'd be leery of accumulating debt that can end up being a millstone, just ask me about it sometime.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I love this convo - this is my alley.

I’d go to a high academic D3 if they want her and she’ll play and get her degree. But only if she really wants to keep playing more than going to a big school. For me personally I’d do the D3 route 9/10.

I wish I knew anything when I was in HS, and I hope I have some similar decisions with my boys.

Reaction Score
Wholly agree with this.

Three people close to me who weren’t D1 athletes followed this rule and all three are/were happy with their choices.

My niece plays soccer at a NAIA in Arizona. She could have walked-on at a mid-major D1 and was recruited by a few D3s across the nation, but she’s in a school that has a great program for what she’s interested in, gets to actually play and most games are 60 minutes away or less.

Amongst my friends, one played tennis at Redlands and one played club water polo at UVM. Both situations were picking the school first and then having the sports as a community within the school in addition to other friends you meet along the way.

I’m assuming this kid didn’t play basketball :D

Reaction Score
I love this convo - this is my alley.

I’d go to a high academic D3 if they want her and she’ll play and get her degree. But only if she really wants to keep playing more than going to a big school. For me personally I’d do the D3 route 9/10.

I wish I knew anything when I was in HS, and I hope I have some similar decisions with my boys.
Something to note about going this route is that athletes are a lot more likely to make connections at a school than the average student. I used to work in University Relations at one of the state schools, and quite a few employees were former athletes who got an opportunity from someone they met while they were students.

Couple that with the academic reputation of some of the NESCAC schools, and it's pretty easy to see how D3 sports can lead to some nice opportunities.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Something to note about going this route is that athletes are a lot more likely to make connections at a school than the average student. I used to work in University Relations at one of the state schools, and quite a few employees were former athletes who got an opportunity from someone they met while they were students.

Couple that with the academic reputation of some of the NESCAC schools, and it's pretty easy to see how D3 sports can lead to some nice opportunities.

100%

Everyone’s personal choice is just that, but I disagree with people saying basically d3 sports are useless (exaggerated paraphrasing). I know guys that get into high collegiate or pro sports or whatever world based on their D3 high academic sports connects.

I personally would agree to ensure you’re picking the right school, of course, but for me I’d much rather play high level D3 ball then just go to State U.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Compared to the cost of a in-state public (NY), it costs us about $17,000 more once her scholarship figures in. We have one kid and we were going to pay whatever depending on where she wanted to go. Wasn’t a factor. While she applied as safety schools, we never visited Binghamton or Buffalo, the two most appealing of the SUNY flags. (We hear great things about Bing.)

As for the sport…it’s not easy. It’s a 5:30-7:30 am practice and a 3:30-5:30 practice. She seems to enjoy it and she navigates that, her classes, student gov and working in admissions as an advisor and tour guide. Not sure how.

She very much enjoys a second social group - she has her dorm friend group and her swimming friend group and seems to divide her weekends between them. She spends half of her winter break in Naples, Florida training…we’d rather have her here, but it is what it is.

Are you sure the opportunity to eat Connecticut lobster roll didn't play a factor in your decision?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's silly to go to a school for D3 sports. Club/intermutals are fine for participation purposes. If you are choosing between similar options, a D3 program can be tiebreaker.

Same goes for tuition, assuming means in not an issue. You don't pick the cheaper school unless it's a decider amongst otherwise equal choices. For me it was

1. Academic program (major/reputation)
2. Earning potential
3. Geography
4. Cost (Aid/ROTC options)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are you sure the opportunity to eat Connecticut lobster roll didn't play a factor in your decision?

I am not entertaining any of this nonsense and if you even suggest that the Mystic Diner’s magical 802-page menu or the muffins at Sift had any role here, I shall block you.

Reaction Score

We just toured her school this weekend! She most know the Nigerian rugby player from England who took us around. I was impressed by the school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom