OT: - Diets | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Diets

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
2 bucks on him having a bad back. Been there, done that.

How does sleeping on the floor help the back? It always seems to stiffen mine right up (camping and whatnot).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Here's my thing... always seem to fluctuate between 225-235. Without getting into too much detail I workout 4 days a week on average (2 days weight training followed up by 25-30 min of cardio, 2 other days are 45-50 min cardio). I eat healthy 80% of the time, and aren't a big drinker. Meals seem to consist of salad for lunch 3 days a week and the other 2 days is a sandwich with multi grain bread with low sodium turkey/cheese and breakfast consists of cheerios or another multi-grain cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast 6 days a week, dinners are generally lean meat/steamed veggies and brown rice and a small salad. I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day, barely have any sugar. My two vices are pasta (1-2 meals a week) and I treat myself to ice cream 1-2 nights a week.

Went for physical today and weighed in at 240, which is obese for me. I don't know what else I can do to drop 20-30 lbs as I need to, I just get down to 225-230 and can't seem to drop more. I'm healthy, which is good, but just 20 lbs or so overweight. My doctor suggests counting calories (which is a pain I think), and she suggests smaller portions bc I'm doing everything else right.

Would cutting portions help? I do seem to have a large portion of food, even though it does mainly all healthy it's still a lot I can put down.

Yes, it would help. I don't know if you travel much, but you really get the feel for just how big portioned the American diet is when you eat in other countries. Much, much smaller amounts of food. Except the Bandeja Paisa in Colombia. They know how to do it down there.

Reaction Score
How does sleeping on the floor help the back? It always seems to stiffen mine right up (camping and whatnot).

IDK, but it does. Even a firm bed would be painful. A carpeted floor with a bolster to sit my legs on gave me relief, and I have talked to others who were forced into the same arrangement.

Reaction Score
Nah, it's in Millerton.

Millerton is a really small place plunked down just north of Amenia on the Connecticut border.

Millerton is the 1950's while Amenia is straight-up Appalachia.
I know the area pretty well. Thought the address was Amenia, my bad. Was up that way a couple of times two summers ago. I'm a big fan of Millerton, Rhinebeck and a lot of the Hudson river towns. They were building a fancy golf community in Amenia when I was up there last. The views are incredible that way but you're pretty far removed up there. Was wondering if that community would sell well or not, NYC isn't too far so I'm sure it will do well.

Reaction Score
I know the area pretty well. Thought the address was Amenia, my bad. Was up that way a couple of times two summers ago. I'm a big fan of Millerton, Rhinebeck and a lot of the Hudson river towns. They were building a fancy golf community in Amenia when I was up there last. The views are incredible that way but you're pretty far removed up there. Was wondering if that community would sell well or not, NYC isn't too far so I'm sure it will do well.

I grew up about 20 minutes from Millerton.

Reaction Score
What's on the salad? Dressings, croutons and cheese can add up.

Booze too obviously.

You know about the ice cream and pasta already.

Usually low fat dressing (around 90-120 calories depending on what kind of dressing I'm in the mood for that week). No croutons (hate them), and no cheese. It's pretty plain actually.

Reaction Score
You can gain weight on a vegetarian diet, only eating the highest quality organic produce and grains. You can lose weight eating only Fritos. I think you know the answer. Obviously, being healthy and having good numbers is important, but if you want to lose weight, you should start counting the calories. It seems you are doing everything else right. It sucks, but as others have mentioned, MyFitnessPal is a good app for keeping track and quite quickly you will have a rough idea of the calories you are putting in.

I actually started using it this morning with breakfast. Going to do a day or so eating like I normally do and see where my cals are coming from and where I can cut down.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes, it would help. I don't know if you travel much, but you really get the feel for just how big portioned the American diet is when you eat in other countries. Much, much smaller amounts of food. Except the Bandeja Paisa in Colombia. They know how to do it down there.

Seriously. We've got an empanada place here that does the bandeja paisa on weekends. And it was under $10. It should be on their national flag.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Because of how scattered the post offices are, it's not uncommon to be in one town, but having a mailing address in another.

I imagine the golf club will do all right - the course was always beautiful. (My wife and I had our wedding reception there before it was sold.) Between route 22, route 44 and the Harlem Valley MetroNorth line, it's an easy area for commuters to Poughkeepsie, Westchester and the city. Like Pawling, it will be attractive for weekenders.

We don't go out there as much as we used to - when our daughter was younger, the hiking trails and rail trail there were a little easier, so we'd take her there and then head into Millerton for dinner. (There's actually two great Mexican places there...)

Now that she's a little older, we usually go across the river into New Paltz, etc.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Now that she's a little older, we usually go across the river into New Paltz, etc.

New Paltz is a great town.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
New Paltz is a great town.

No idea if they still do this, but a bunch of us used to go to Brotherhood Winery up that way (just south of Stewart) for grape stomping, usually with a bluegrass band as a soundtrack. Lots of fun as long as you don't get stung by the yellow jackets that like the grape juice. The wine there was awful, but you could byob in the picnic area. Made for a nice afternoon.

Reaction Score
Because of how scattered the post offices are, it's not uncommon to be in one town, but having a mailing address in another.

I imagine the golf club will do all right - the course was always beautiful. (My wife and I had our wedding reception there before it was sold.) Between route 22, route 44 and the Harlem Valley MetroNorth line, it's an easy area for commuters to Poughkeepsie, Westchester and the city. Like Pawling, it will be attractive for weekenders.

We don't go out there as much as we used to - when our daughter was younger, the hiking trails and rail trail there were a little easier, so we'd take her there and then head into Millerton for dinner. (There's actually two great Mexican places there...)

You ever been to the Mohonk Mountain House? Think it's crazy expensive to stay but could be a nice place for lunch.

Reaction Score
I have a question for all the Non Meat eaters..whether Vegetarian,Vegan,, etc...you all say you feel better which is great...but none of you talk about your diet before you switched....was it a healthy diet or were you eating a typical western diet? I know someone that won't eat meat, but she has no trouble eating chips, pasta and pizza...that's not healthy to me.

I lean toward a Paleo diet...Protein ( mostly fish), veges, greens, and healthy fat. I try to eat a lot of greens...it changes your gut bacteria for the better. The more greens the better. Broccoli sprouts are incredibly good for you. 10x as mature broccoli.

When I cut out grains, I dropped weight without any other changes and my joint pain went away...when I cheat and eat grains, the knee pain comes back. In my opinion, grains and sugar are the evils in a diet, (not fat or protein). They impact glucose sensitivity.....minimizing sugar is key to health IMO.

Another point is that different people react differently to the same diet. For some people saturated fat does not cause issues, for others it does...a lot is based on genetics and where your family is from.

I personally don't think it's possible to get enough protein if you only eat a plant based diet...but that's me. I also think that eating pasta 4x week instead of protein isn't healthy.

My goal isn't to live as long as I can (if you want to do that--calorie restriction is the key), but to live well as long as I can. Cutting out refined carbs, sugar and unhealthy starches, eating grass fed beef, wild caught fish, veggies and exercise is my approach.

Reaction Score
Here's my thing... always seem to fluctuate between 225-235. Without getting into too much detail I workout 4 days a week on average (2 days weight training followed up by 25-30 min of cardio, 2 other days are 45-50 min cardio). I eat healthy 80% of the time, and aren't a big drinker. Meals seem to consist of salad for lunch 3 days a week and the other 2 days is a sandwich with multi grain bread with low sodium turkey/cheese and breakfast consists of cheerios or another multi-grain cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast 6 days a week, dinners are generally lean meat/steamed veggies and brown rice and a small salad. I drink 5-6 bottles of water a day, barely have any sugar. My two vices are pasta (1-2 meals a week) and I treat myself to ice cream 1-2 nights a week.

Went for physical today and weighed in at 240, which is obese for me. I don't know what else I can do to drop 20-30 lbs as I need to, I just get down to 225-230 and can't seem to drop more. I'm healthy, which is good, but just 20 lbs or so overweight. My doctor suggests counting calories (which is a pain I think), and she suggests smaller portions bc I'm doing everything else right.

Would cutting portions help? I do seem to have a large portion of food, even though it does mainly all healthy it's still a lot I can put down.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? You can either eat your meals between noon-8 pm and/or not eat for 36-48 hours once a month..

IMO you are eating WAAAY too many carbs...sandwiches, cheerios..low fat milk has a lot more sugar than whole milk, and not enough protein. Brown rice isn't healthy...is just less bad for you than white.. Go to Marks daily apple and try the 21 day cleanse.. You cut out ALL grains (including rice), external SUGAR(ice cream...) & booze.. ..but only for 21 days. Then you start adding the less bad stuff back in. I can almost guarantee you'll drop 10-15 lbs in 21 days. I dropped 10 lbs doing this and I was only 210 when I started.

Reaction Score
Have you tried intermittent fasting? You can either eat your meals between noon-8 pm and/or not eat for 36-48 hours once a month..

IMO you are eating WAAAY too many carbs...sandwiches, cheerios..low fat milk has a lot more sugar than whole milk, and not enough protein. Brown rice isn't healthy...is just less bad for you than white.. Go to Marks daily apple and try the 21 day cleanse.. You cut out ALL grains (including rice), external SUGAR(ice cream...) & booze.. ..but only for 21 days. Then you start adding the less bad stuff back in. I can almost guarantee you'll drop 10-15 lbs in 21 days. I dropped 10 lbs doing this and I was only 210 when I started.

I've never thought of the fasting, isn't fasting unhealthy? I've always heard brown rice is healthy for you. As for the cleanse, I did the advocare 24 day challenge a year ago and it worked but as I slowly added stuff back in it all came back within a year. I'm trying to drop 15-20 lbs permanently and I've found with cleanses eventually it comes back.

Thanks for the advice. Def something to look into though!

Reaction Score

Marks Daily Apple is a good rec. While my diet is not exactly the same, I tuned into this type of eating philosophy after hearing him on a podcast. So far, so good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Haven't read thread and it's great hearing people have success doing what works for them. I just hope the ones having success are also exercising/working out in addition to their new diets.

The diets are a quick fix that the results will evaporate if you stop those diets. You need to also be exercising/working out so you have a compete lifestyle overhaul and your body adjusts to the new lifestyle.

I just hate seeing people have success on a diet just to revert back once they stop the diet
Not for anything but your suggestion isn't foolproof. There are a lot of double reverters. The ones on super secret double probation.

All kidding aside I had three uncles who lived past 90 all with various diets. The least successful died at 92. One passed at 98 and the other lived to 102.

The 92 y/o destroyed his hips taking care of his wife who had alzheimers. The 102 y/o was still working at 99 but had a horrible car accident that took him out of action. It was sad because he probably would have lived well past 102.

All three were active and walkers. All three had positive attitudes until their bodies started giving out.
So genetics, attitude and exercise are equal if not more important than diet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Cauliflower farts are amongst my favorite, if that means anything to anybody. One would think them to be wispy and ephemeral but they can be quite robust.
Calling @FartMan69 to contribute.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I've never thought of the fasting, isn't fasting unhealthy? I've always heard brown rice is healthy for you. As for the cleanse, I did the advocare 24 day challenge a year ago and it worked but as I slowly added stuff back in it all came back within a year. I'm trying to drop 15-20 lbs permanently and I've found with cleanses eventually it comes back.

Not sure that fasting is great for overweight folks. I thought the hunger caused the body to over compensate and storing fat at a higher rate.

Reaction Score

I've only heard of benefits of fasting 10 Benefits Of Fasting That Will Surprise You

Dr. Rhonda Patrick has a podcast on the benefits of fasting for longevity. But it's also good to clean the system..I do it about 4-5 x per year. I cheat and drink coffee...and then lots of water when you get hungry...

Brown rice is less bad... people tell you to eat it because it's better than white...but it's still a carb. Problem is, you think you are eating healthy because you have a salad for lunch and lean protein for dinner...but according to how I eat, with the sandwiches and cereal, I would consider myself on a cheat day..especially if you throw in ice cream.

Marks Daily apple cleanse is not a product. It is an eating pattern where you stop ALL refined carbs, sugar and booze (I work in sales so I cheated a bit on the booze) for 21 days...no supplements, nothing to buy except food. the concept is that you just eat Super healthy for 21 days...it resets your body. fyi...I was told it takes 7 days to totally rid your body of grains...if you have a pizza/pasta/cereal once a week, you never fully cleanse your system.

Then after 21 days you go from zero to adding in brown rice once in a while..quinoa once in a while...etc.

Reaction Score
Not sure that fasting is great for overweight folks. I thought the hunger caused the body to over compensate and storing fat at a higher rate.

I'm not a dr and I dont stay at holiday inn...but I've never heard that. Not sure how not eating makes you store fat. Fat storage is caused by too many calories and an insulin response..fasting lowers your insulin. When I fast, my glucose drops from 92-95 in the am, to low 80's within 12 hours and 70's within 24-30 hours. If I fast for 2 days, it's in the 60s by day 2.

The Basic Food Groups: The Insulin/Fat Connection - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

The primary source of body fat for most Americans is not dietary fat but carbohydrate, which is converted to blood sugar and then, with the aid of insulin, to fat by fat cells. Remember, insulin is our main fat building hormone. Eat a plate of pasta. Your blood sugar will rise and your insulin level (if you have type 2 diabetes or are not diabetic) will also rise in order to cover, or prevent, the jump in blood sugar. All the blood sugar that is not burned as energy or stored as glycogen is turned into fat. So you could, in theory, acquire more body fat from eating a high-carbohydrate “fat-free” dessert than you would from eating a tender steak nicely marbled with fat. Even the fat in the steak is more likely to be stored if it is accompanied by bread, potatoes, corn, and so on

Reaction Score
Usually low fat dressing (around 90-120 calories depending on what kind of dressing I'm in the mood for that week). No croutons (hate them), and no cheese. It's pretty plain actually.

Read the label....low fat dressing are usually crazy high in sugar...to make it taste good...eating fat does not make you fat...you are better off eating that salad with a piece of wild caught salmon and using olive oil and some apple cider vinegar. When I met my wife she was buying low fat everything...showed her a jar of low fat peanut butter v. regular...low fat has tons more sugar..which if your culprit. the dressing is more unhealthy than the cheese

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom