Did Uconn do enough to this off-season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Did Uconn do enough to this off-season?

Reaction Score
I'm sure the spot will be filled, I'd just expect Ross and Abraham to beat out whoever it is for minutes if Karaban leaves. Anyone saying that about Calcaterra was dumb, it was obvious from the second he committed he'd play on a team that was severely lacking shooting

and the current roster sans Karaban seems short on rebounding. We have nothing but question marks. A little veteran leadership wouldn't hurt either for this very young team.

Reaction Score
and the current roster sans Karaban seems short on rebounding. We have nothing but question marks. A little veteran leadership wouldn't hurt either for this very young team.
I won't be worried about UConn's rebounding until Tom Moore retires. Until that happens it's not a concern and guys will step up

Reaction Score
That guy is on the roster already. His name is Jaylin Stewart
you hope* that guy is on the roster.

Hurley wasnt even sure this year's team was championship caliber until he saw Cam and Steph in summer camp, but at least we had known commodities in Tristen, AK, and Clingan returning. Next year Diarra and Samson are the only known commodities. Aiden and Tarris are new to the team, Ball/Stew averaged 10 mpg, and McNeeley/Nowell/Abraham are freshmen. None of them are known commodities like Tristen, AK, and Clingan were going into this past year.
I'm sure the spot will be filled, I'd just expect Ross and Abraham to beat out whoever it is for minutes if Karaban leaves. Anyone saying that about Calcaterra was dumb, it was obvious from the second he committed he'd play on a team that was severely lacking shooting
are you talking about the 12th or 13th spot? if you're talking about the 12th spot then ross isn't a PF and we cant pencil Abraham in to play 10-15mpg. Those are HUGE minutes that you cant realistically expect a frosh to fill unless they're a borderline 5* or better (castle/liam/nowell).

Reaction Score
I think UConn did exactly what they wanted in the offseason. I don’t remember any transfers that we were really going after and didn’t get

It seems the strategy was to get players that filled positional needs. Our needs were a strong guard, a big, a wing, and shooting. We got a double digit scoring guard who can shoot left, a big body P5 starter C, and a 5 star lights out shooter wing. Along with another year from our 23 top recruiting class, multiple years of eligibility on everyone

We didn’t go after any of the superstar transfers, so it seems the strategy was based on needs and eligibility. Enough to 3 peat? Without Karaban, I don’t think so. With Karaban, maybe

Reaction Score
People said that about Joey California too. These assumptions that our coach has no intention of filling Karaban's roster spot with a competent player are beyond bizarre. Our recruiting prowess has never been better than it is now, but let's not even try to find someone who can help us do something legendary. It makes no sense.
Joey C was the 11th scholarship (really 10th if you consider Springs). Yari Hasson and Apostolos were #12 and #13. There is room for #11 to play, especially with injuries and such. Not as likely for 12 and 13.

Karaban's scholly is #12. Hurley may bring someone of starter quality or playable development in, but that's pushing someone else into that 12th "slot".

Reaction Score
Joey C was the 11th scholarship (really 10th if you consider Springs). Yari Hasson and Apostolos were #12 and #13. There is room for #11 to play, especially with injuries and such. Not as likely for 12 and 13.

Karaban's scholly is #12.
if AK leaves the hope is that the 12th spot is filled w/ a rotation player or at least someone that challenges Abraham for the backup PF role, it doesnt have to mean it's filled w/ the 12th best player:

1-8: Diarra / Nowell / Aiden / Ball / Liam / Stew / Reed / Johnson
9: TRANSFER
10: Ross
11: Abraham
12: Singare

Reaction Score

Hurley wasnt even sure this year's team was championship caliber until he saw Cam and Steph in summer camp, but at least we had known commodities in Tristen, AK, and Clingan returning. Next year Diarra and Samson are the only known commodities. Aiden and Tarris are new to the team, Ball/Stew averaged 10 mpg, and McNeeley/Nowell/Abraham are freshmen. None of them are known commodities like Tristen, AK, and Clingan were going into this past year.

are you talking about the 12th or 13th spot? if you're talking about the 12th spot then ross isn't a PF and we cant pencil Abraham in to play 10-15mpg. Those are HUGE minutes that you cant realistically expect a frosh to fill unless they're a borderline 5* or better (castle/liam/nowell).
I'm talking about the 12th spot if Karaban leaves. Ross is not a PF, but if Karaban leaves that means Stewart and McNeeley are playing more minutes at the 4 and then all of a sudden more minutes for Ross are available at the 3. Abraham with his defense can easily step in and play 10 minutes a game, the offense might be a work in progress but the defense is going to be there from day 1

Reaction Score
if Karaban leaves that means Stewart and McNeeley are playing more minutes at the 4
does Liam play PF or are we just hoping he can? i'm assuming he does not b/c Flagg is on his team. i dont recall seeing him block a shot in any of his highlights.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people are discounting the possibility of bringing in a high-level PF who can play 20-25 minutes per game if Karaban stays in the draft, instead of just a "developmental" piece.

If Karaban came back, he'd be averaging AT LEAST those minutes (probably more) and would be one of the top 2-3 players on the team. In that scenario, presumably everyone here and on the team would be thrilled.

But to replace Karaban with a like player through the portal would somehow be different? I don't get it. Stewart would be in the same position whether it's Karaban returning or a Karaban-level starter transferred in, but we and he are happy with the former and upset about the latter?

There are two really good PFs still in the portal that are testing the NBA waters but who might return: Coleman Hawkins and Jaylen Wells. I don't see why we wouldn't at least investigate those guys if Karaban leaves. Because it'd be the same difference as far as playing time and roles regardless of which of these three we have next year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people are discounting the possibility of bringing in a high-level PF who can play 20-25 minutes per game if Karaban stays in the draft, instead of just a "developmental" piece.

If Karaban came back, he'd be averaging AT LEAST those minutes (probably more) and would be one of the top 2-3 players on the team. In that scenario, presumably everyone here and on the team would be thrilled.

But to replace Karaban with a like player through the portal would somehow be different? I don't get it. Stewart would be in the same position whether it's Karaban returning or a Karaban-level starter transferred in, but we and he are happy with the former and upset about the latter?

There are two really good PFs still in the portal that are testing the NBA waters but who might return: Coleman Hawkins and Jaylen Wells. I don't see why we wouldn't at least investigate those guys if Karaban leaves. Because it'd be the same difference as far as playing time and roles regardless of which of these three we have next year.

If you don't know why we wouldn't investigate Coleman Hawkins, I don't know what to tell you. It's like people don't even pay attention to what Hurley says and does.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don't know, the 2023 squad's ceiling was really high. That team's ceiling was just about as high as the 2024 team's ceiling, with maybe a sliver of difference. It's only the 2-6 January that is the blemish for the 2023 team.

FWIW, IMO, just enjoy the ride of the 2024-2025 season with slightly lower expectations. This upcoming team will do very well, I am sure of it.
Obviously, looking back now it’s easy to feel that way about that squad. But going into that year I don’t think any of us expected all 3 of Hawkins / Jackson / Sanogo to have the seasons they had and go pro.

I feel like looking at this team for next season, even without Karaban there are probably 2 draft picks next year and possibly up to 5 future NBA guys on the roster.

Stewart, McNeely and Ball all have lotto potential. Nowell and Abraham are the type of athletes Hurley can mold into NBA guys eventually.

We are pretty stacked and getting a 4 seed or better with some momentum heading into March to make a deep run is certainly doable with this roster.

I agree, let’s all enjoy the ride, but I think next years team has a legit shot to get back to the Final Four. I’m expecting at least a Sweet 16 (which is what I think we all expected of that 22-23 team).

Reaction Score
does Liam play PF or are we just hoping he can? i'm assuming he does not b/c Flagg is on his team. i dont recall seeing him block a shot in any of his highlights.
I think he's more than capable of playing the 4 just like Karaban did. Karaban was listed at 6'7 190 in high school and McNeeley is listed as 6'7 210. The 3 and the 4 are pretty interchangeable so I feel like he'd be fine at either spot

Reaction Score

I think it's a bit naive to think everyone on the team would be thrilled in both scenarios. Especially the second one where Hurley is actively choosing to recruit over guys who committed to the program twice.

It's one thing to walk up to Jayden Ross and Jaylin Stewart and say one of the best players from last year's team is coming back but we're gonna do X,Y,Z to make it work and get you on the floor for the 1 year overlap. But it's a whole different story to go out and bring in someone brand new to create a minutes issue and tell those guys you don't think they're ready

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Meaning 60% of his makes occurred in two games this year. He was 6-8 in those games.
So we know how good he can be. Not a fluke, he did it twice.

Reaction Score
Meaning 60% of his makes occurred in two games this year. He was 6-8 in those games.
Those are also the only 2 games he took more than 2 shots from 3. Trying to draw any kind of conclusion from that small of a sample is a waste

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think it's a bit naive to think everyone on the team would be thrilled in both scenarios. Especially the second one where Hurley is actively choosing to recruit over guys who committed to the program twice.

It's one thing to walk up to Jayden Ross and Jaylin Stewart and say one of the best players from last year's team is coming back but we're gonna do X,Y,Z to make it work and get you on the floor for the 1 year overlap. But it's a whole different story to go out and bring in someone brand new to create a minutes issue and tell those guys you don't think they're ready

Yup. There is a whole different vibe of a program player teammate coming back and having minute adjustments all around, as opposed to a mercenary 1 year rental. And in the case of the 4 spot, to stave off the oncoming "what about Cam Spencer"? This is absolutely nothing like Cam Spencer who came in as an experienced guard when our 5 Freshmen hadn't even had a day in the program yet and only one of them was a guard. That was a necessary portal move that made sense for fit and need. That is not so clear cut at the 4 now. The need that spencer addressed last year was glaring. This isn't like that, not with Jaylin Stewart in the wings and a top 10 incoming Frosh.

And then the capper specifically right now is Coleman Hawkins?! Oh boy.

Coleman Hawkins is a fine player. He is very intelligent, and has a pretty unique, strong personality. Coleman Hawkins also brings a circus sideshow with him. He is a locker room lawyer and is very much all about maximizing dollars as his main priority IF he even comes back to college. Hurley both verbally in the media numerous times as well as through his actions (on who he decides to actually get involved with) has shown repeatedly that he does not value playing in that particular arena of the portal. You would be hard pressed to actually find a worse fit for UConn culture than Hawkins. And this isn't a knock on the kid. I like him a lot. He is very well spoken and interesting. He just did an hour with Goodman a week or two ago that everyone should listen to (if you can stomach the Goodman part). It might just open some eyes on how messed up this current system REALLY is. Hawkins certainly has earned the right to take advantage of the gifts he has in any way he sees fit. It won't be for us though. I'm pretty confident in saying that.

Reaction Score
We haven't come close to offsetting what we lost. That's not to say the new guys can't make a significant contribution. But you have to recognize how many games might have been lost without the heroics of Newton, Spencer or Clingan. Those three brought the mail for us. Gonna have to work like crazy to step up near that level.
Yeah, but keep in mind we’re 20+ points better than the next best team last year. We can run it back and still beat every good team by 10-15 points even though we won’t be quite as dominant without Clingan

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I believe they did enough to obviously be in the conversation for title contending teams this year, and are extremely well positioned to be title contenders in 2026 as well. Mahaney and Reed having two years of eligibility cannot be emphasized enough imo.

Reaction Score
From the same article I posted above about the sophomores.

“If those guys were on (the 2022-23 team), they would have had bigger roles,” Hurley said. “If they were on teams the years prior, they would have been much more significant players. This year they were in a situation where we were one of the most efficient teams in the last 25 years of college basketball. That is the type of team they couldn’t crack the rotation on.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Enter: Liam McNeeley.
And probably Stewart. If those two are 3 and 4 respectively, we'll have better shooting at F than the last two seasons.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I really hope so... He was 10-37 from 3 this year. If you take the Depaul and Marquette games he's 4-29. We're all banking on him to improve those #'s a great deal. And I think he will. But, I still would like to have another shooter for that last schollie.

If you take away all the shots he missed he shot 100% from 3.

Reaction Score
I really hope so... He was 10-37 from 3 this year. If you take the Depaul and Marquette games he's 4-29. We're all banking on him to improve those #'s a great deal. And I think he will. But, I still would like to have another shooter for that last schollie.

I see your point, but only as it relates to reliable shooting. A frosh can play those minutes if you expect tough D and rebounds.

Reaction Score

I think the question at this point is "who's left?"

Is it even plausible to grab a starting-caliber player this late in the portal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom