Did Uconn do enough to this off-season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did Uconn do enough to this off-season?

Reaction Score
Here's a question to add a bit of perspective:

Roughly 47 months ago, if someone were to ask you how would you feel if mid-May 2024 we would be questioning our ability to win a third consecutive title this upcoming season, how would you have responded?

HuskyHawk is correct in his statement, the fun will be in seeing how the season plays out and how well the players develop.

What we've accomplished the past two seasons warrants quite a bit of praise and provided an amazing amount of joy. Appreciate it for what it gave us. Yes, being in a position to three peat is rare, and in all candor, taking home another national title should be the goal. We absolutely should want this but there is no reason for anyone to lament over the idea that is doesn't seem as likely today as this past one seemed this past December or January.

Um, how about 15 1/2 months ago, after we had just finished a 2-6 stretch with the joyous memories of a very impressive non-conference 14-0 start fading fast into oblivion and we were all wondering where we were going to go from there. If anyone told you the night after that afternoon road loss to Creighton that we would be here... we would have run him off as a delusional crazy person.

But here we are. What an absolutely amazing, astonishing run this has been.

And yes, I pray AK comes back because I want to see what happens if we really have a legitimate shot at the 3-peat. It will certainly give us another season to remember.

Reaction Score
The most important thing is bringing in the best players that fit our mindset and culture.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the best overall player or players.
That's why it's so delicious to win while Duke, UK and other SEC, B1G and other leagues' schools chase the shiny objects while UConn sets records for victory margin............

Reaction Score
Heres the thing. I recently saw a clip of an interview with Geno where hes talking about how players are more athletic and skilled today than ever but you get those guys on a court with 4 other guys and a lot of them struggle. Which got me thinking about what has made these two national title winning teams so good. Sure we may not have five 5* burger boys starting but what we have had are guys who are talented who completely buy into the system and the culture. You add to that Hurley being a top tier coach on defense and is now running an offense ahead of what anyone else in the country is doing and these are the results you get. I think DH and his staff are simply miles ahead of every other coaching staff and theyre all scrambling to catch up. Will the rest of the country catch up and figure out what DH and start running their own versions? Sure but when? Even if they do it takes time to get it running to the level DH has. I think this staff is simply better than everyone and until the rest of the country catches up Uconn will continue to be a force in March.
It's been fun to watch Calipari and Scheyer chasing veterans to bring some experience to their teams. Scheyer has lost 9 guys from this year's team and picked up two vets from Purdue and Syracuse to add to the five 5 stars and one 4 star recruit. Maybe K told him he's embarrassing himself if he doesn't start to show results from all the high powered recruits.

Reaction Score
Three peat may be crazy but Uconn is the only team to have a shot at it
I did say at this stage. We could see us become 3 peat possible after a couple months.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I thought after we lost Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo after the 2023 title that we would struggle to replace them and/or get better. Then we put together the most dominant college team in almost a decade.

So, yeah, it’s going hard to replace the 4 or 5 guys who are leaving for the NBA, but at this point I have full trust that the staff did what they get they needed to do in order to put us on the stairway to seven…

I think it’s fair to expect a squad with a similar ceiling to the 2023 squad.

Reaction Score
I thought after we lost Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo after the 2023 title that we would struggle to replace them and/or get better. Then we put together the most dominant college team in almost a decade.

So, yeah, it’s going hard to replace the 4 or 5 guys who are leaving for the NBA, but at this point I have full trust that the staff did what they get they needed to do in order to put us on the stairway to seven…

I think it’s fair to expect a squad with a similar ceiling to the 2023 squad.
I don't know, the 2023 squad's ceiling was really high. That team's ceiling was just about as high as the 2024 team's ceiling, with maybe a sliver of difference. It's only the 2-6 January that is the blemish for the 2023 team.

FWIW, IMO, just enjoy the ride of the 2024-2025 season with slightly lower expectations. This upcoming team will do very well, I am sure of it.

Reaction Score
I am probably over simplifying with this comment and may suffer for it- but IMHO not having Cling Kong to build around is a different animal. I’m pretty relaxed about next year- still arrogant and spoiled however.

Reaction Score
If Alex leaves, the answer is No. We need a consistent wing shooter/scorer to have any shot at a threepeat.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Heres the thing. I recently saw a clip of an interview with Geno where hes talking about how players are more athletic and skilled today than ever but you get those guys on a court with 4 other guys and a lot of them struggle. Which got me thinking about what has made these two national title winning teams so good. Sure we may not have five 5* burger boys starting but what we have had are guys who are talented who completely buy into the system and the culture. You add to that Hurley being a top tier coach on defense and is now running an offense ahead of what anyone else in the country is doing and these are the results you get. I think DH and his staff are simply miles ahead of every other coaching staff and theyre all scrambling to catch up. Will the rest of the country catch up and figure out what DH and start running their own versions? Sure but when? Even if they do it takes time to get it running to the level DH has. I think this staff is simply better than everyone and until the rest of the country catches up Uconn will continue to be a force in March.
YES!!!!

Reaction Score
This is D1 basketball you bring in the best available players. You can't worry about your players getting mad if you bring in another player. If so they need to improve more if they don't want to be replaced. I want to get another title you have to keep recruiting because other top teams are recruiting to beat you ! This is not Kiddy ball !
Disagree…. It’s a balance.
You cant chase off developing players for upper classmen or graduates. If you do, you risk too much dependence on portal.
Hurley seems to have that balance right now. Recruits have ability to develop, staff gets missing pieces from portal.
I don’t know that Hurley and staff can continue to always get the exact piece they need from portal, but so far they have done just that. We’ll have to see how this years transfers blend and excel.

Reaction Score
Disagree…. It’s a balance.
You cant chase off developing players for upper classmen or graduates. If you do, you risk too much dependence on portal.
Hurley seems to have that balance right now. Recruits have ability to develop, staff gets missing pieces from portal.
I don’t know that Hurley and staff can continue to always get the exact piece they need from portal, but so far they have done just that. We’ll have to see how this years transfers blend and excel.
100%. The fact that we lost none of our impact underclassmen will bode well for the culture. Our systems are so complex that having players that already know the system will help perpetuate and advance it to keep us ahead of the rest of the country.

Reaction Score
Yes. Hurley and the staff could have gotten any single player they wanted in the portal. They specifically targeted Reed, Mahaney, and I’ll include McNeeley here too even though he’s not a transfer. They went 3/3 on those guys. They clearly think those guys are enough to run it back, so I do too.
I said elsewhere that one of Hurley's biggest accomplishments was not only going 3/3 on Reed, McNeeley, and Mahaney, but going 4/4 on retaining Diarra, Stewart, Ball, and Ross. That depth raises the floor on what we can achieve even if other guys don't pan out (recruits or transfers were overrated -- it happens sometimes) or get hurt.

But Karaban is a big wildcard. I'm sure Hurley has a plan if he doesn't come back, but so far, that would be a big gap.

Reaction Score
I did say at this stage. We could see us become 3 peat possible after a couple months.
Think you missed my point. Of the more than 300 NCAA teams entering the season, only one has won the last two national championships and therefore has an opportunity to three peat. We might as well root like hell for that to happen. It's possible.

Reaction Score
Some people are forgetting about the rising sophomores just because we haven't seen what they can do.

“A lot of people don’t really know how good we can be, because they don’t really see what goes on at practice,” Stewart said. “I feel like a lot of people are doubting us right now, but that is fine. We are going to be ready when the time comes.”

“Solo is an athletic freak,” Stewart said. “I don’t think anybody really understands that part of his game. He has a 45-inch vertical, flying the highest on the team. With his shooting and his size at that position, it is crazy.

“Jayden is a great guy, and he may be an even greater player. He does everything. He is 6-8, but he can shoot the ball. We had a lot of talented people on our team this past year so he couldn’t really showcase his skills, but this year he will open a lot of eyes.”

None of the paywall websites seem to work on this newspaper. Anyone with more technological ability than I have want to try to get through the paywall on this article? It has a bunch of good quotes from the rising sophomores and from Hurley.

Reaction Score
That guy is on the roster already. His name is Jaylin Stewart

I really hope so... He was 10-37 from 3 this year. If you take the Depaul and Marquette games he's 4-29. We're all banking on him to improve those #'s a great deal. And I think he will. But, I still would like to have another shooter for that last schollie.

Reaction Score
I really hope so... He was 10-37 from 3 this year. If you take the Depaul and Marquette games he's 4-29. We're all banking on him to improve those #'s a great deal. And I think he will. But, I still would like to have another shooter for that last schollie.
I hope we fill that last scholarship too, but whoever it is isn't gonna play so it doesn't really make a difference unless we get killed with injuries

Reaction Score
I hope we fill that last scholarship too, but whoever it is isn't gonna play so it doesn't really make a difference unless we get killed with injuries
I’m okay with that. I mean there’s gotta be someone in the portal who can play a little who I’d think would like to come here for a year. Just super depth piece. Maybe a pipe dream. I just know Kentucky is about to pull an underrated FDU guy to be a backup/depth piece and I’m curious if we’re looking for the same.

Reaction Score

People said that about Joey California too. These assumptions that our coach has no intention of filling Karaban's roster spot with a competent player are beyond bizarre. Our recruiting prowess has never been better than it is now, but let's not even try to find someone who can help us do something legendary. It makes no sense.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

We need to look at THIS year, not last year. That’s what’s important and what Hurley is doing.

No one should expect a frosh on a national title team to show the same things as a sophomore with another year of development and more playing time and good looks available.

Solo, Stewart, Ross, McNeeley won’t be automatic anything, but we have to assume they’re showing the ability. The fun is watching it happen. They’re putting in the work, we just aren’t watching it daily.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People said that about Joey California too. These assumptions that our coach has no intention of filling Karaban's roster spot with a competent player are beyond bizarre. Our recruiting prowess has never been better than it is now, but let's not even try to find someone who can help us do something legendary. It makes no sense.
Hurley said in one of his many interviews that he would probably fill it with a developmental piece. I agree any player he picks up will be "competent" but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will play much next year.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the spot will be filled, I'd just expect Ross and Abraham to beat out whoever it is for minutes if Karaban leaves. Anyone saying that about Calcaterra was dumb, it was obvious from the second he committed he'd play on a team that was severely lacking shooting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom