Did anyone think Emeka would have a better career? | The Boneyard

Did anyone think Emeka would have a better career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I still think injuries have played more of a role than people realize. He was headed for stardom after his rookie year, got hurt, and was never the same.

Reaction Score
Frankly, somewhat disappointing for a very high pick

Nine years with three teams; always as a starter as far as I know (544 out of 550 games averaging 32 min per game). Roughly 6,800 points(12.4ppg) 5,450 boards(9.9rpg) 950 blocks(1.7 bpg) 916 turnovers(1.7 topg) and MOST IMPORTANTLY donated $250,000(could be more since then) to the school of business at UConn. He was a great college player AND student; and I don't think, based on his skill set, that any of us anticipated an All-Star or Hall of Fame career. But he is a workhorse who has had a very solid career; and has been a gentleman who has done his family and the university proud. I'm more than good with the status of his career and the quality of his life.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I always maintained, if healthy, he'd have a career somewhere around Dale Davis or Buck Williams type numbers and he's been within those numbers.

We all knew he didn't have the above the rim explosiveness or the consistent face up game to be a primary scorer. He scores off of offensive rebounds and off of pick and rolls.

12.5 pts, 10 rbs and 1.7 blocks per game are his career numbers and he's lost a bunch of playing time in his prime years due to back injuries.

Definitely not a bust, but he didn't reach his maximum potential either. It happens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3819/career;_ylt=AqdagEo5fHXQPRwPIwIsvzL0PKB4

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Career average of 12.4 and 9.9. Nothing wrong with a guy that just about averages a double double. Also nothing wrong with 1.7 blocks per game for a career. Shoots 51.4% from the field - not out of this world but pretty good for a career. He was never a dominant player but he has been a long term success in the league. A very solid starting center.

When you look at how many lottery picks never stick in the league you can really appreciate what kind of draft value a solid starting center has.

Reaction Score
I thought he lost some explosiveness after his back injury at UConn. He was a #2 pick overall so I thought he would be better than he's been. Frankly though, of the two I thought Ben Gordon had the better chance to be a super star. I expected for BG to be what Derrick Rose has been.

Reaction Score
I always maintained, if healthy, he'd have a career somewhere around Dale Davis or Buck Williams type numbers and he's been within those numbers.

We all knew he didn't have the above the rim explosiveness or the consistent face up game to be a primary scorer. He scores off of offensive rebounds and off of pick and rolls.

12.5 pts, 10 rbs and 1.7 blocks per game are his career numbers and he's lost a bunch of playing time in his prime years due to back injuries.

Definitely not a bust, but he didn't reach his maximum potential either. It happens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3819/career;_ylt=AqdagEo5fHXQPRwPIwIsvzL0PKB4

He actually hasn't had any reoccuring issues with his back since college, at least not anything documented. His biggest injury was a severe high ankle sprain in which he damaged some ligaments that happened in either his 2nd or 3rd year(can't remember). Then he also put way too much muscle on his frame and was looking top heavy, he was pretty much playing like a robot he looked so stiff. Larry Brown had even made a comment that he seemed like he was more concerned with his workout routine. He eventually shed some of that excess muscle and weight but after that and the ankle injury he's never really been the same. You would think after his rookie year he would at least get better but he's steadily tailed off. I'm hoping after this contract expires he eventually latches onto a contender for cheap and see how he performs in veteran presence role.

Reaction Score
Coming out of college a lot of projections had him being a buck williams type player and thats exactly what he has been. i dont think his career has been disappointing at all. he was never going to be a 20/10 guy in the nba. if anyone has been disappointing id say it was BG. i really thought he would be a 20ppg for his career player but he hasnt been close to that. kemba is already a better player in only his second year.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see him end up in a role player situation on a top team (ala Haslem on the Heat). He had 17 boards tonight, so he's still capable of dominating the glass and would have some value (his contract might make it tough, since good teams have money tied up).

The Wiz just sometimes let their younger bigs have some more of the playing time to develop them, so he isn't getting starter minutes a lot of the time, even though he starts.

I'd never call Emeka a disappointment, though. Guy was barely recruited and had a shooting range of one foot as a freshman. Managed to work himself into a #2 pick and a degree in 2.5 years. Classic overachiever.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see him end up in a role player situation on a top team (ala Haslem on the Heat). He had 17 boards tonight, so he's still capable of dominating the glass and would have some value (his contract might make it tough, since good teams have money tied up).

The Wiz just sometimes let their younger bigs have some more of the playing time to develop them, so he isn't getting starter minutes a lot of the time, even though he starts.

I'd never call Emeka a disappointment, though. Guy was barely recruited and had a shooting range of one foot as a freshman. Managed to work himself into a #2 pick and a degree in 2.5 years. Classic overachiever.

yeah im sure his bank account will say his career has been pretty good

Reaction Score
Hey look, a thread where STB made himself look like a . Been a while. Making $13+ million this season. $14+ next season.

I'd say he's doing alright.

Reaction Score
He has had a very good career but maybe less than what you expect from the best college player in the country. I don't think Emeka is disappointed in himself. We were lucky to have him.

Reaction Score
If only he could be more like Dwight Howard...Oh wait...Nevermind.

Reaction Score
Really if success is only measured by All Star games, and MVPs sure Emeka is not succesful.

However as someone pointed out he is a long time starter, considered high value (team and trade), NO NEGATIVE PUBLICITY, has certainly proved longevity AND has a college degree. Based on that alone he is very successful, when you add the income to it, he has done quite well and any kid, parent or company for that matter would label that a success. So if stb is looking for Tim Duncan success, that was never in Emeka's future, especially as a Center.

Lastly, positive role models are never unsuccesful. Its sad we all have to defend him against an idiot but it does feel good talking about him. He is not only a success but a hero to many kids.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's a perfect alumni of the University.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say disappointing career. I did wonder at the time he was drafted if his offensive game would translate to the NBA since it was quite mechanical and not explosive. Frankly I could never figure out how he'd get that one step pivot-kiss-off-the-glass shot down so easily without getting it blocked. He didn't have much other than that one post move when he entered the NBA and I wasn't sure what his offensive ceiling would be.

I don't think he lived up to his draft position, but I don't recall that being a very deep and top heavy draft. He's been solid but not the game changer you'd like to get with one of the top few picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom