Did Andre guard Kolek last season? | The Boneyard

Did Andre guard Kolek last season?

Reaction Score
I was at two of the games last season but I cannot recall how much time Andre spent on Kolek or how well he did individually (the 1-2 record would dictate that UConn was not sucessful in stopping him) - I would have thought Andre would have been able to cut the head off the snake, or at least been more disruptive than many others teams could have been vs the big east player of the year.

I'm assuming Danny will start with Steph on Kolek and then mix in Hass as well. Andre was in the top 3 of my all time favorite UConn players but I think Steph can one up him defensively if he can truly be a Kolek stopper tomorrow night and I can't wait to see it. I just hope Steph (and DC obviously) can stay out of foul trouble and on the court as much as possible!

Reaction Score
My impression was that Castle would guard Kam Jones. I can see Jarra, when he's on he floor, on Kolek.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember one of the games him in foul trouble. May be misremembering though

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
My guess is Newton starts the game guarding Kolek. If it gets out of hand he will bring Diarra to hound him full court. But we will have multiple players guarding him so we keep up the pressure. The goal would be fresh legs on him all night will wear him down but Kolek seems to get better as the game goes on.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Let's throw Castle at Kolek for 10 minutes and see how he does..
I am fairly certain that Castle will cover him. I think it will be a combination of Newton, Diarra and Castle. It will depend on how the other Marquette players are playing.

Reaction Score
One thing to consider in these tactics is that Marquette likes to really get out in transition. It can be tough to cross match against a team that plays that fast if Kolek is not guarding Castle himself. If we do have Castle on him, we'll likely switch often in transition so Castle won't end up guarding him that much anyways (assuming Kolek is guarding Newton when they are on D).

Reaction Score
Castle should guard him. No way Newton should guard him. Love Newton, but defense isn't his strength.

caw

Reaction Score
IIRC last year they started:

Oso defended Sanogo
Prosper defended Hawkins
Jones was on Karaban
Mitchell was on Newton
Kolek was on Jackson (freelancing)

I think they will have to switch it up a bit but I expect it will be:

Oso on Clingan
Joplin on Karaban
Jones on Castle
Mitchell on Newton
Kolek on Cam

I can see them trying to have Kolek play free safety off Castle but that would be a mistake IMO. Castle is a much better scorer than Jackson all around.

Reaction Score
One thing to consider in these tactics is that Marquette likes to really get out in transition. It can be tough to cross match against a team that plays that fast if Kolek is not guarding Castle himself. If we do have Castle on him, we'll likely switch often in transition so Castle won't end up guarding him that much anyways (assuming Kolek is guarding Newton when they are on D).
My question is who CAN Kolek guard in our team?

Reaction Score
I’m actually curious what kind of pace we’ll see from Marquette. Feels like Shaka may have to send extra guys to the glass or else they’re going to get absolutely murdered in the rebounding battle. May slow them down a bit.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
IIRC last year they started:

Oso defended Sanogo
Prosper defended Hawkins
Jones was on Karaban
Mitchell was on Newton
Kolek was on Jackson (freelancing)

I think they will have to switch it up a bit but I expect it will be:

Oso on Clingan
Joplin on Karaban
Jones on Castle
Mitchell on Newton
Kolek on Cam

I can see them trying to have Kolek play free safety off Castle but that would be a mistake IMO. Castle is a much better scorer than Jackson all around.
I just don’t think they want Kolek chasing Cam around on defense. This is exactly why we are better this year. If they put Kolek on Castle I think we will see some post up plays. For me I just think it plays out with Newton starting on Kolek. But the key this year is Kolek is going to have to cover his man. Last year he would be free as you note to double Sanogo because Osho could not guard him in the low post. This year if Clingan can post up he could draw some fouls on Osho. I just think this year we have too many offensive options so Kolek will not be able to rest on defense.

Reaction Score
I’d put Cam on Kolek. Cam tends to get beat by athletic guards who get downhill and Koleks strength is his guile not his athleticism. Let Kolek get his but shut down the rest.

Reaction Score
My question is who CAN Kolek guard in our team?
I wouldn't be surprised if they did what they did last year and have Kolek on Castle with sagging off and force him to prove he can beat them from 3 or drive and finish over him.

caw

Reaction Score
I just don’t think they want Kolek chasing Cam around on defense. This is exactly why we are better this year. If they put Kolek on Castle I think we will see some post up plays. For me I just think it plays out with Newton starting on Kolek. But the key this year is Kolek is going to have to cover his man. Last year he would be free as you note to double Sanogo because Osho could not guard him in the low post. This year if Clingan can post up he could draw some fouls on Osho. I just think this year we have too many offensive options so Kolek will not be able to rest on defense.
Castle should be able to bully Kolek if that happens. Then again I'd probably want to have a freshman have to beat me from two than a fifth year beat me from three. So perhaps Kolek will be on Castle. I do imagine Kolek will be on Diarra whenever Diarra gets in, or Ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom