Dickie V, Bill Walton or Other? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dickie V, Bill Walton or Other?

Whom would you prefer to hear as a game color commentator?

• Dickie V

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Bill Walton

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other

Votes: 80 60.2%

• Total voters

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
How would you feel about a game with @BigErnMcCracken on play by play with Vitale and Walton as the two color guys?
I've previously advocated for classic UConn games being redone MST3K style with a rotating gallery of current and ex posters. Who wouldn't want to watch 1998 UConn/Washington Sweet 16 with Shizz and FartMan69 on the call?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Raff is my favorite. “Adama with…the kiss!”

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Walton’s babble was cut out for commercials on several occasions and he was rude and overbearing at times. Made it all about him and his glory days, which nobody cares to recall.
Wait til you hear his haiku.

Reaction Score
Kevin Fitzgerald & Jimmy Dykes tonight on the call

Reaction Score
After having to listen to Dickie V last evening during the two Jimmy V Classic games, I started to question if I had a choice, perhaps listening to Bill Walton would be better!?

Whom does the yard prefer? I prefer "Other" in Bill Raftery.

Btw, I am happy that Dickie V was able to survive his medical ordeal.
I voted other and other includes silence

Reaction Score
If I have to chose between the 2 it’s Dickie V. He’s not bad unless it’s a duke game.

But it’s Raf #1. The best in the business and a really great guy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I've previously advocated for classic UConn games being redone MST3K style with a rotating gallery of current and ex posters. Who wouldn't want to watch 1998 UConn/Washington Sweet 16 with Shizz and FartMan69 on the call?
Yes!

I want to revisit the 96 sweet 16 game with @Deepster on play by play and @Dove on color

@tcf15 make it so!

Reaction Score
If I have to chose between the 2 it’s Dickie V. He’s not bad unless it’s a duke game.

But it’s Raf #1. The best in the business and a really great guy.
Have to be honest its sad listening to DV now. Heard him the other night doing the Duck game and his voice and energy are a shell of what it was. IT saddens me because hes the guy i enjoyed through the 90s going apesh@t during some of our greatest games. Id rather remember him that way.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My 'other' is Al McGuire. Maybe time has dulled some of the weak parts of his Schtick, but I can't remember ever turning the sound down on a game he was commentating on. But among the living I'd take Raff.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reading through several threads from last night's game and several posters giving lots of praise to Jimmy Dykes.

I first remembered him from Atlantis last year and liked it.

He's a basketball game first type personality and you can tell he's a junky. Yeah, he forces some catch phrases or idioms in there but you still get the feeling he's there to do the game first.

Reaction Score
Reading through several threads from last night's game and several posters giving lots of praise to Jimmy Dykes.

He's a basketball game first type personality and you can tell he's a junky. Yeah, he forces some catch phrases or idioms in there but you still get the feeling he's there to do the game first.

I feel the same way about Dykes. The fact that he absolutely loves basketball and all the minutiae comes out whenever he's on a call. For the "I just want to hear about the game" crowd he should be up there in terms of favorites.

Reaction Score
Dykes always seems like a dad trying to be current/hip. He loves ball, he found ball, ball didn’t find him, ball knows, etc etc.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feel the same way about Dykes. The fact that he absolutely loves basketball and all the minutiae comes out whenever he's on a call. For the "I just want to hear about the game" crowd he should be up there in terms of favorites.

Dykes was actual similar to Walton's perspective from the PK85. Both of them were really impressed with Jackson and Clingan. Dykes was more enthusiastic about Hawkins, especially how he curls coming off screens.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Dykes was actual similar to Walton's perspective from the PK85. Both of them were really impressed with Jackson and Clingan. Dykes was more enthusiastic about Hawkins, especially how he curls coming off screens.
He said "wraps the screen." Never heard that term before.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Dykes always seems like a dad trying to be current/hip. He loves ball, he found ball, ball didn’t find him, ball knows, etc etc.

He said "wraps the screen." Never heard that term before.

Agree, he forces some of these much like the new age NFL announcers referencing the first down yard as the "line to gain" or whatever they recently started calling it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Agree, he forces some of these much like the new age NFL announcers referencing the first down yard as the "line to gain" or whatever they recently started calling it.
Also, he used "takes it to the rack." Another term I never heard done in hoops.

Reaction Score

Nothing will be as stupid to me as praising a football player's "eye discipline."

Reaction Score
Anyone but those two. Dickie V has long been my least favorite announcer, followed by Bill Walton. I like actual analysis and information added; thats why Donny has been a great addition to the color commentary the past few years. Give me Donny, Raftery,, Kellogg, Fraschilla and im happy
Don't forget Steve Lappas. I've come to like the guy as I hear him more. Met him when he was at UMass and spoke at our Rotary Club. We had some fun with him because I was the resident UConn fan (WMass club) and he was a good sport. But so was Bruiser Flint. Glad to see both are employed and doing well.

Reaction Score
Dykes last night rivaled Bill Walton in Portland with the level and volume of praise for UConn, DH and some of the players. It seems the media have suddenly realized UConn is deep and has the ability to throw lots of talented guys out there so an off night by one or two doesn't bite us.
See Karaban and Newton last night for example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom