Diarra starting | The Boneyard

Diarra starting

Reaction Score
Not sure if I saw this right but it looks like Hassan diarra is starting over castle in those exhibition games. Any thoughts?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not sure if I saw this right but it looks like Hassan diarra is starting over castle in those exhibition games. Any thoughts?
Hopefully just for preseason. Newton didn’t come back to start on the bench and Castle didn’t come here to back up Diarra.

Reaction Score
I expect Castle will be starting by early in the season also, but almost everyone comes here thinking they’re going to work their way into starting at some point during their stay. They don’t come here saying “Waaah, there are five kids who recruiting services thought were better than me in high school so I’m stuck on the bench here.”

Reaction Score
What Hassan needs to work on is his foul shooting. A point guard needs to be a 80% foul shooter. With his pressure defense, push ball mentality and penetration, he can get minutes if he gets better at FT%. My guess is he may never be a great overall shooter but I have seen mediocre shooters become decent FT shooters. But, a point guard needs to knock down foul shots since the ball is often in his hands late in the game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley isn’t going to give Castle the job based on his recruiting ranking. If Diarra or Ball outplay him, they deserve it. Reports were that Castle is occasionally brilliant and has to get over his tendency to coast. When he plays hard all the time on both ends he will likely force his way into the starting 5.

Reaction Score
There a number of advantages to this. HD is an experienced player who knows the system. He is a strong defensive player and will give the opponent point guard a difficult time. He is a tone setter for the defense. It lets Newton play off the ball which should help increase his minutes. It takes pressure off Castle and allows him to come in against either a tired opponent or a reserve.

Castle's nature ability will eventually put him in the starting line up. But this is a very smart way for Hurley to get Castle's feet wet. It also keeps Hassan sharp for games later in the season where his defense might be needed or the squad may be dealing with aches and pains.

It's a very Hurley move. Also as someone mentioned, it also reinforces playing time is earned not given

Reaction Score
No thoughts about him starting, per se, but I’m excited for Diarra to take on more of a role this year, especially as one of the team’s defensive playmakers.

He’s one of those guys who can jumpstart a game in an instant.

Reaction Score
No thoughts about him starting, per se, but I’m excited for Diarra to take on more of a role this year, especially as one of the team’s defensive playmakers.

He’s one of those guys who can jumpstart a game in an instant.
He definitely has an important role to play this year as that defensive stopper and is really valuable in stretches. I'm hoping we see more consistency from his offensive game. He showed some flashes on that side of the ball last year, but far too often was just relegated to bringing the ball up the court and struggled to score/facilitate.

Reaction Score
Hopefully just for preseason. Newton didn’t come back to start on the bench and Castle didn’t come here to back up Diarra.
Newton started all 3 games. He is a lock to start this season. Can anyone make a case that he won't start and play big minutes?

Reaction Score
I doubt Diarra starts in any game that matters. Nothing to see here. It's just good coaching to get the freshman bought in and respect the senior.

Castle is clearly a much better player than Diarra. If we're playing our best 5 to start, he's in it. No way around that.

Reaction Score
Castle will start when games matter. Watching the games he’s clearly been a top 4-5 player the whole trip. He’s also clearly better than Diarra. This is more of a message from Hurley than anything else

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hurley is also looking for a leader. Alex and Donovan are both in that boat too but Ive seen quotes from Hurley saying they aren't "there" yet (not about playing ability, about vocal ability) the only other candidate he mentions was Diarra. I assume he is trying to build something there, no matter if Hass starts or comes off bench. I don't think this is a knock on Castle at all. It is just team building stuff during the summer.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diarra would be well served to watch tape of Ricky Moore and be that player.

Put all his energy on the court in to dogging opposing guards and take opportunistic shots.

And yes, getting his FT percentage up.

Do those things and he getting 10-15 mog depending on match ups.

There is a role on this team for his skill set. Except for improving FT's, for this season, he is a classic case of someone who needs to work on his strength and not worry about trying to make your weaknesses better.

Outside of a major injury there isn't a path to 25 mpg for him.

Reaction Score
Diarra would be well served to watch tape of Ricky Moore and be that player.

Put all his energy on the court in to dogging opposing guards and take opportunistic shots.

And yes, getting his FT percentage up.

Do those things and he getting 10-15 mog depending on match ups.

There is a role on this team for his skill set. Except for improving FT's, for this season, he is a classic case of someone who needs to work on his strength and not worry about trying to make your weaknesses better.

Outside of a major injury there isn't a path to 25 mpg for him.
I was going to respond with something similar to this but I will add that I think DH should have a private meeting with Hassan and tell him that his greatest contribution to this year’s team could end up being an absolute relentless dog to Stephon in practice. In somewhat of a lead by example bell cow prodding type fashion. If he elevates Castles game and gets him to play every play like the game is on the line then this team has no ceiling.

Reaction Score
Despite Diarra starting, Castle was our leading scorer in the exhibitions.

So Diarra starting is either an Olander situation, or it's a summer time "he knows all the plays and the freshman haven't nailed down the playbook yet" situation.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn’t going to give Castle the job based on his recruiting ranking. If Diarra or Ball outplay him, they deserve it. Reports were that Castle is occasionally brilliant and has to get over his tendency to coast. When he plays hard all the time on both ends he will likely force his way into the starting 5.
Hurley is also looking for a leader. Alex and Donovan are both in that boat too but Ive seen quotes from Hurley saying they aren't "there" yet (not about playing ability, about vocal ability) the only other candidate he mentions was Diarra. I assume he is trying to build something there, no matter if Hass starts or comes off bench. I don't think this is a knock on Castle at all. It is just team building stuff during the summer.

Tristen said at a Red Fox event he considers Hassan an extrovert, while he views himself as more of an introvert. I also agree that Hassan can set the defensive tone, especially when it comes to extending pressure, as Ricky Moore excelled at.
I like how both Tristen and Castle fill their boxscore line. It will be interesting to see if Castle keeps it Hurley competitive basic, forget the recruit ranking, the Call My Agent-shirt and simple focus on the team winning. I think he is capable of doing that and if he does, we can be special.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom