Diarra Shout Out | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diarra Shout Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I rather see Diarra take a three than Castle.

I loved Diarra's drive to the hoop in the second half which the announcer described as "parting of the red sea".
He seems to do that on a fairly regular basis. Maybe we should call him Moses. Then we could argue about whether the emphasis is on the 1st or last syllable. Or if the M was silent.

Reaction Score
Hassan may not have Alleyne's textbook form on his jumper, but he is much more creative and opportunistic.
In almost every game, he finds an opening to a completely unmolested layup. Just drives through a gap in the exterior D to an unguarded hoop.
I’ve noticed that too. He splits hedges and euro steps past defenders pretty often now. Huge turnaround from last year

Reaction Score

He could have easily left after the national championship for more playing time and I wouldn't have blamed him.

Glad he stayed, as I've mentioned before in this thread, he really needs to be an option late in the game when we need baskets. We're finding out that this team is a lot more than Spencer, Newton Karaban and Clingan.

The unsung heros off the bench, Hassan and Samson have been instrumental in UConn's success.

Reaction Score
He seems to do that on a fairly regular basis. Maybe we should call him Moses. Then we could argue about whether the emphasis is on the 1st or last syllable. Or if the M was silent.
and if I should have capitalized it as Red Sea.

Reaction Score
Hassan may not have Alleyne's textbook form on his jumper, but he is much more creative and opportunistic.
In almost every game, he finds an opening to a completely unmolested layup. Just drives through a gap in the exterior D to an unguarded hoop.
Alleyne's form on his jumper it textbook? He shoots with his body sideways which I was always taught isn't right. I thought you're suposed to be square to the basket with your body?

Reaction Score
Diarra continues to play really well off the bench, game after game. I'm not sure we've had a better role player off the bench in my 40 plus years as a UConn fan. Game after game he makes plays that help seal the win.

Reaction Score
Diarra continues to play really well off the bench, game after game. I'm not sure we've had a better role player off the bench in my 40 plus years as a UConn fan. Game after game he makes plays that help seal the win.
No?

gwynne.jpg

Reaction Score
Love Hassan, he is really contributing, and his scoring is a big bonus- he has earned all the minutes he is getting. Maybe his play will spark Ball to up his game- Ball is not not doing as well now compared to earlier games this year, when it seemed like he would really develop and quickly. But the one thing that I've noticed with Hassan is that he does get beat sometimes on defense, not a lot, but enough times to surprise me. Maybe he is playing too tight on the opponent he is defending, who often is the quickest guard for the other team so it isn't easy to contain them. He is a very good defender, and maybe I just take it for granted that he will stop anyone he is defending which is unfair, and he did shut down the drives to the hoop in the Xavier game which helped get the win, so maybe I'm worrying too much about nothing.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In yesterday's game, around 9 minutes left, almost under the rim, he made three up-fakes with the ball, getting two defenders to commit to jumping to try to block the shot, both of whom ended up out of bounds when he went up for the unguarded layup. I don't care if it's smarts or instinct, that's great basketball.

Reaction Score
I legitimately cannot think of a UConn player who has improved so much offensively in one season. Look at those shooting percentages! He’s not just a hard-nosed, defensive-minded glue guy anymore. Not to look past this year, but I really hope he plays with us again next season.
IMG_4205.jpeg

Reaction Score
I sensed last year he was one of the leaders of the team but not being a significant contributor diminished his positive attributes. This season his contributions have added to his leadership qualities which gives the team another significant voice especially when some other leaders tend to be quieter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There are several players who come to mind; Diarra is on a good streak right now. Us fans are glad he's working his way in to the conversation.

I'd still have Gwynn, Rashad and a few others ahead of him right now.

Reaction Score
If he can keep knocking down open 3’s at a ~38% clip we are in such great shape. Solo will figure it out too and Stewart is coming along nicely. Samson can slide back into his rim runner role as soon as Donovan is back. Our bench is looking very solid again.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Same energy as the Tristen Newton is a top 3 PG in UConn history comment from earlier in the year or the Karaban is one of the most clutch players.

Reaction Score
Diarra is considerably better on the defensive end and is averaging 2.3 assists. Gwynn scored a bunch, but Diarra has contributed in many more ways. Diarra's shooting %'s are 81, 54 and 40. Gwynn's were 70, 44 and 35 during the "Dream Season".
Surely agree Diarra has phenomenally improved this season. Gwynn was really that microwave a la the originally nicknamed Vinnie Johnson. John raised the crowd like none before him, scored in double figures and made first team all Big East Tournament as junior, never starting a single game.
I might put Diarra in top ten bench players for half a season. I hope to again at season's end.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
On the CT Scoreboard podcast (shoutout @gwhuskyfan), Karaban was on and he was asked about Hassan and how well he's playing. Alex said he's not surprised because Hassan is deadly from 3 in practice.

His impact since the beginning of Big East play reminds me a lot of Shabazz as a freshman. He would come in, play great defense, get a steal or two and knock down a clutch 3. Just an infusion of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom