Diarra Shout Out | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Diarra Shout Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The announcer pronounces it right. Jara.

I looked it up because I knew the name Diop is pronounced Jop, so I checked to see where the names were from. Both are West African, around Senegal. Diarra is the French spelling/version of the name Jara.
Found it hilarious people here assuming Laphonso Ellis is pronouncing it wrong over and over again on TV but us (mostly) white boys from CT we know how to really pronounce it! And that top secret pronunciation is… exactly as one would sound it out in English, of course

Reaction Score
HD has the best defensive hands on the team. Quick and accurate. He gets so many clean steals that didn’t seem possible from his positioning. He’s the guy that makes announcers say “that’s why big guys need to keep the ball up high.” He anticipates where the offensive player is going to put the ball.

He’s playing with much better control on the offensive side. He seems to have a plan with his drives, rather than just seeing what happens. And his 3 point shot is solid when he’s open and set. He’s outplaying transfers Alleyne and Floyd by a mile just as a comparison.

Reaction Score
HD has clearly upped his contribution this year from last. But, honestly, I never felt he was bad last year, as many UConn fans see it here. The bar last year was pretty high, we had some great talent to compare HD with, and everyone has a stinker. But I have always thought he was a positive contributor. This year, immensely so.

Reaction Score
Found it hilarious people here assuming Laphonso Ellis is pronouncing it wrong over and over again on TV but us (mostly) white boys from CT we know how to really pronounce it! And that top secret pronunciation is… exactly as one would sound it out in English, of course
Laphonso was pronouncing his name wrong but I won't ding him for it, he does a great job on the games and he's hugely likable.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Announcer kept calling him “Jiarra”. Did that bother anyone else?!
It opened up possibilities to consider his name 2 ("Jar-a") OR 3 ("Di-ar-a") syllables in future Game Day Haiku threads.

I also wonder if it's possible that this has been a 'hidden' preferred pronunciation (even going back to his brother), along the lines of learning that Niels did not pronounce his name to rhyme with that if Ken Griffey. Unlikely, or maybe?

The transformation from seemingly nowhere to his current well-rounded, reliable play has been mid-season 2020 Whaley-like. Who saw that for either?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HD has the best defensive hands on the team. Quick and accurate. He gets so many clean steals that didn’t seem possible from his positioning. He’s the guy that makes announcers say “that’s why big guys need to keep the ball up high.” He anticipates where the offensive player is going to put the ball.

He’s playing with much better control on the offensive side. He seems to have a plan with his drives, rather than just seeing what happens. And his 3 point shot is solid when he’s open and set. He’s outplaying transfers Alleyne and Floyd by a mile just as a comparison.
His tiny pump for 3 and drive was divine last night.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Deserves all the praise - what an improvement from last year. Not turning the ball over half as much and offensively turning it on. Great story so far!

Reaction Score
Deserves all the praise - what an improvement from last year. Not turning the ball over half as much and offensively turning it on. Great story so far!
Diarra = money

Guy has clearly worked his ass off at line and 3 pointers. A joy to watch

Reaction Score
Hass is rock solid for the second unit. Timely buckets/tough D/passing greatly improved. Has been reliable at crunch time when needed. One of the X factors on the team in last three wins.

Reaction Score
Somebody in the chat referred to him as Hassan California in that second half stretch. A guy deserves his own nickname, but that was a nice compliment that captured his impact.

Steph called him Hasbula on ig which I thought was great

Reaction Score
Steph called him Hasbula on ig which I thought was great
200w (1).gif

Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I cringed when he took the second three but he made me look dumb. He's been absolutely fantastic.

Reaction Score
Without starting another thread I like that Stewart is seeing some minutes and improving because the 4 is the one position that we are venerable especially if Alex is hurt or in foul trouble. This team could really be dominant by seasons end if Donovan comes back healthy

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Just think, come March we should have a second unit with Jarra, Samson and Ball coming in fresh. Gonna wreak havoc.

Reaction Score
Diarra was awful from 3 last season, but his sophomore year he shot almost 33% on 2.6 attempts per game which is decent volume. So I don't think it's huge aberration that he is shooting well this season, although he has clearly put a lot of work into improving his shot. If anything, it was last season (when he shot a dismal 19% from 3) that was the big outlier.

Reaction Score
Well, despite my whiteness, i'm going to pronounce it the way the young man pronounces it, and not assume i know more about how to pronounce his name than he does.
But you go ahead and tell him he's wrong when he says it.

caw

Reaction Score
When Diarra takes open set threes he hits a very, very high percentage. A lot of his threes the past year and a half were last second heaves, or defended shots. He was trying too hard to be Jordan, or (more likely) Joey. That wasn't his shot and he seems to have corrected the type of three he takes over the past 6-8 games. I haven't seen any last second heaves, or really any rushed shots at all. Everything is set and open from three for him recently.

Reaction Score
Some long time Husky fans remember how Calhoun often had an instant offense guy come off the bench who would instill energy, notably the Microwave, John Gwynn. His role, as that of others, was to come in for a few minutes and knock down shots. Gwynn's D was not very good from what I remember.

Now in the case with Diarra, he's becoming an all around solid rotation player contributing on both ends within the team's offense and defensive schemes. He's getting better each game. Although he's undersized (height & weight) he makes up for it with effort, quick feet and hands, solid instincts, passing, driving and shooting. He keeps on improving and making the most of his opportunities. He reminds me a little of Ryan Boatright, but is a much better defender and decision maker. Diarra seems to have learned how to play fast and safe. He's going to make an occasional bad play, but he's been making a lot more good ones on both ends of the floor the past 3 games (14, 9, 12 points, and a mix of rebounds and positive defensive plays) .

He's clearly been a factor helping win some games this sesson. Even earlier in the season he filled the box score in the wins over UNC and the Zags. I think we'll be seeing more of him, giving Newton and Spencer some needed rest to keep the fresh, not to mention instill some intensity on the defense end of the floor disrupting their opponents offense.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Actually I was concerned when we lost Alleyne and didn’t know if Diarra was up to task.
Hassan may not have Alleyne's textbook form on his jumper, but he is much more creative and opportunistic.
In almost every game, he finds an opening to a completely unmolested layup. Just drives through a gap in the exterior D to an unguarded hoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom