Devin Carter is the Big East Player of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Devin Carter is the Big East Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This conference can't get out of it's own way with dumb stuff like this. Providence is 19-12. Tristen is going to be first team all-American and his own conference doesn't recognize him.
In many ways it is still a small-time regional conference that props up small-time regional programs like Providence (where its headquarters still is for some unfathomable reason).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Could see this coming. Someone on twitter pointed out PC only won 4 games over opponents that weren’t DePaul and Georgetown after Hopkins went down. Carter didn’t exceed expectations, they would have sucked worse without him.

Reaction Score
It’s a joke for a player on a middling team to win this award. Take UConn players out of it and it still makes no sense. Give it to schierman if too many husky’s were bunched up to pick one.

Reaction Score
Carter is fearsome and was great the first 5 minutes of Saturday's game. He'd probably start for UConn, but not 100% sure of that and he'd most likely play 25-30 minutes. He COMPLETELY ran out of gas after the first 5 minutes on Saturday night (was visibly winded, never recovered) and didn't stand out vs other guys on the court after that.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
He's a great player and had a great season. This makes a lot of sense if you turned off the UConn/Providence game 20 minutes in
This...

Plus, especially if you watch the second half of the UConn at Providence game, there were bushel baskets full of quit across the Providence team. Not one gram of it within him.

It is a very defensible selection.

Reaction Score
So there’s an AP Big East POY that Newton won and a Big East POY that Carter won? What’s the difference?

Edit: the coaches vote for BE POY. They probably are just jealous of all the recognition we are getting this year.

Reaction Score
Carter is excellent. Newton deserved this award, especially with how coaches have voted for it in recent history.

Gillespie won it twice as the veteran pg and clutch player of the best team in the conference. I guess those qualities don’t apply to Newton?
Gillespie winning it was always bothersome because of all the favorable calls he got, especially backing in and so aggressively banging his shoulder into the defender's chest and never being called for a offensive foul.
I always wondered if the defenders would get called if they timed a quick move away from him as he was about to bump them and, as a result, he would fall hard to the floor...........

Reaction Score
The problem is this conference changes the rules whenever they feel like it. Last year Sanogo deserved to win, but it went to Kolek because he was the best player on the best team in the league. So then this year we have the best team and…? Different set of rules. I’d be shocked if anyone on this board would take Carter over Newton on their team if given the choice. I certainly wouldn’t.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
This...

Plus, especially if you watch the second half of the UConn at Providence game, there were bushel baskets full of quit across the Providence team. Not one gram of it within him.

It is a very defensible selection.

Annalynne Mccord Comedy GIF by Pop TV

Reaction Score
So what was Danny saying to Carter during that long hug after the Providence game? Maybe, "You have my vote for POY."

How do you get the final result? Here's one way you might get it:

English votes for Scheierman.
McDermott votes for Carter.
Hurley votes for Carter.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
The problem is this conference changes the rules whenever they feel like it. Last year Sanogo deserved to win, but it went to Kolek because he was the best player on the best team in the league. So then this year we have the best team and…? Different set of rules. I’d be shocked if anyone on this board would take Carter over Newton on their team if given the choice. I certainly wouldn’t.
Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They gave it to a dude who is about to be playing in the NIT?? What an absolute joke
Who cares? It's an individual award. He's as good as Newton offensively and much better defensively. The only point in Newton's favor is the rebounding. But I can see them saying Carter had the best season. Team success shouldn't be a major factor. You can argue that PC being as good as it was despite losing Hopkins is a pretty major endorsement for Carter.

Reaction Score
Just remember, Newton wasn't even a unanimous selection on the 1st team this week. So one or two coaches don't think he's as good as he really is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
@
I believe this is the first time BE player of the year has come from a team that finished lower than 4th at the end of the year... Might need a fact check on that.
The first Big East POY came from a team that came in second from last.

Reaction Score
So what was Danny saying to Carter during that long hug after the Providence game? Maybe, "You have my vote for POY."

How do you get the final result? Here's one way you might get it:

English votes for Scheierman.
McDermott votes for Carter.
Hurley votes for Carter.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Coaches with players in the mix for the PoY Award would vote for one of the dark horse candidates to give their player a better chance of winning. If each one does that, the dark horse wins. That's how Carter beats Newton, Scheierman and Kolek.

Just a theory by a cynical guy with no faith in the system.

Reaction Score
Gillespie winning it was always bothersome because of all the favorable calls he got, especially backing in and so aggressively banging his shoulder into the defender's chest and never being called for a offensive foul.
I always wondered if the defenders would get called if they timed a quick move away from him as he was about to bump them and, as a result, he would fall hard to the floor...........
not just his shoulder, but his elbows, too.

Reaction Score
The only point in Newton's favor is the rebounding.
Actually no. Carter averaged more rebounds per game than Newton.

Carter, a 6-3 junior guard, is the BIG EAST scoring champion with a 21.4 average in league games. Overall, he ranks second in scoring at 19.4, third in rebounding at 8.6, fourth in 3-point shooting, making 38.5 percent and fourth in steals at 1.9.

Reaction Score
As much as I wanted it to be Tristan Newton, you have to look at everything included, this is voted on by the coaches, Tristan Newton, a lot of people say is our best player, but does Uconn actually have a best player? Anyone can step up on a given night and that has happened literally every game this season, Newton has probably been the most consistent on the team. That being said you have to look at Devin Carter statistics, and he is the best player on his team.

"Overall, he ranks second in scoring at 19.4, third in rebounding at 8.6, fourth in 3-point shooting, making 38.5 percent and fourth in steals at 1.9. He has posted 12 double-doubles this season, which ranks third in the league."

I still think Newton's two triple-doubles this season is more impressive than 12 double doubles, but I will say that Devin Carter does deserve this acknowledgment and I am happy for him, he's a hell of a player.

Reaction Score
Who cares? It's an individual award. He's as good as Newton offensively and much better defensively. The only point in Newton's favor is the rebounding. But I can see them saying Carter had the best season. Team success shouldn't be a major factor. You can argue that PC being as good as it was despite losing Hopkins is a pretty major endorsement for Carter.
Just an awful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak