Detailed Azzi Fudd Article in the Athletic | The Boneyard

Detailed Azzi Fudd Article in the Athletic

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Alot of new stuff with some eye opening quotes about how she handled last year's final loss and
how our alumnae talked to her after the game.

After UConn bowed to South Carolina in the national title game, Fudd, who played just 16 minutes because of stomach flu, returned to the team hotel, desperate to hide from the former players who gathered there. “I’m not going to lie. There were points last year when I thought, ‘Are we the worst UConn team?’” she says. “I felt like we let everyone down. I did not want to see anyone.’’

Instead, a collection of former players, headed by Sue Bird, pulled Fudd and her teammates aside. They told them that they should be proud of what they’d accomplished considering all they had to overcome. More, they challenged the Huskies to disregard the banners and trophies that everyone else considers their measuring sticks and establish their own. “They told us to create our own legacy,’’ Fudd says. “That stuck with me because people are always asking me, do you look up to this person, or compare yourself to that team? And I definitely did. But hearing them say that, that was an eye-opener. They created an incredible set of standards and goals, but this is our team. It’s our team.’’

Reaction Score

Alot of new stuff with some eye opening quotes about how she handled last year's final loss and

After UConn bowed to South Carolina in the national title game, Fudd, who played just 16 minutes because of stomach flu, returned to the team hotel, desperate to hide from the former players who gathered there. “I’m not going to lie. There were points last year when I thought, ‘Are we the worst UConn team?’” she says. “I felt like we let everyone down. I did not want to see anyone.’’

Instead, a collection of former players, headed by Sue Bird, pulled Fudd and her teammates aside. They told them that they should be proud of what they’d accomplished considering all they had to overcome. More, they challenged the Huskies to disregard the banners and trophies that everyone else considers their measuring sticks and establish their own. “They told us to create our own legacy,’’ Fudd says. “That stuck with me because people are always asking me, do you look up to this person, or compare yourself to that team? And I definitely did. But hearing them say that, that was an eye-opener. They created an incredible set of standards and goals, but this is our team. It’s our team.’’
Feeling really good about this team. Yes, UConn has had great teams these past 5 years and didn't win it all for one reason or another, but I think this year's team is going to become a real juggernaut. Once the newest members get acclimated and the team starts to gel, they will have all the parts- potent offense, good defense and rebounding, plus barring further injuries they will be competing at full strength. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
Really good article. Great to hear that one of her goals this year is to be a leader of the team. She went through a lot last year, capped off by the flu in the NC game. We always have to remember that there is tremendous pressure at all times on our players to win a NC.

Reaction Score

History is just that---HISTORY.---History now is what you create, not what Sue, DT, Maya has done. You don't lead them, you lead this team---my lecture to this entire team. You are Uconn current Greatest Generation.
Taking over the reins from a current legend, is difficult. ONLY a special person can do that and AZZI is that person with the help of 9 other top talent and legends in the making.s

Reaction Score
this foot injury gives me anxiety.
A lot of optimistic comments in the article but the remarks about her foot are a cause for concern. She says that she is managing the pain but that surgery is contemplated for after the season. It makes you wonder how her foot will hold up to the pounding of 35 or so games in the next 5 months. One thing is certain; everyone here on the BY will be rooting for Azzi to play a complete season without any significant down time due to injury. The success of the team and our sanity depend on it.

Reaction Score
Magnificent article. We'll see what Azzi has in store. A unique personality, Ms. Fudd brings a new persona to Uconn. She is not like anyone else in memory. Not like Sue Bird, Rizzotti, DT, Maya, Breanna or Paige. I hope that it is a championship persona, yet I'm not sure. She has a different kind of fire and we're in for a different kind of ride. Maybe we will reach a wbb national championship from a new angle.

Reaction Score
A lot of optimistic comments in the article but the remarks about her foot are a cause for concern. She says that she is managing the pain but that surgery is contemplated for after the season. It makes you wonder how her foot will hold up to the pounding of 35 or so games in the next 5 months. One thing is certain; everyone here on the BY will be rooting for Azzi to play a complete season without any significant down time due to injury. The success of the team and our sanity depend on it.

A big "Yes" to your thoughts... and I'm thinking the addition of Lou to the roster is becoming more valuable by the day...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is not good!?
"Fudd’s foot is not healed. “We’re doing some things to help with the pain and I’m managing it,’’ she says. “It’s a problem that will be fixed after the season.’’ Her mindset, however, is reset."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fingers crossed for my local girl Azzi. I didn’t know the foot was being managed but not repaired.

Reaction Score
I know nothing specific about Azzi's foot injury.

My daughter had a stress fracture in one of the bones in her foot, probably based on some inherent orthopedic issues and the result of high impact exercise routines that she loved. Since she is on her feet a lot as a nurse, she had to figure out a way to manage the pain and still work. Since she was not an athlete, she opted for a long term treatment approach that consisted of the use of orthotics to better distribute the load in the bones in her feet and cutting out high impact workouts rather than surgery. Took the better part of a year before she was pain free. She will continue to use orthotics as the alternative to foot surgery to address the structural issues in her foot anatomy.

I am not saying that Azzi has the same problem at all. Rather, this is an example of how one might deal with foot issues and what treatment options may be on the table for Azzi moving forward. It seems like that whatever her foot problem is, simple rest and rehabilitation will not correct it so she is faced with the prospect of surgery now and missing the season or managing the pain through the season and having the surgery to correct whatever the problem is in the offseason.

It may be wise to temper our expectations for her this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom