Derrick Jones vs Chris Clarke | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones vs Chris Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who would you rather have? Lead for both in the crystal ball.

I actually lean towards Clarke much better handle and can really pass. Jones does have the higher upside but Clarke seems more Physically ready.

Im assuming we cant get both.

Reaction Score
lets-beat-that-horse.jpg

Reaction Score
If any of Jones/Clarke/Beasley committed I'd be thrilled

pj

Reaction Score
They're all great players as is Brandon Ingram. Very happy to get any of those.

Reaction Score
I take Clarke bc he looks like a lock down defender who can be glue guy on a title team. His offensive skills are a work in progress but he makes up for it with his high motor.

Reaction Score
Just curious.... has the OP actually seen either of the guys play to come to determination that Clarke has a "much better handle etc." Or, is this based off of meticulously edited videos and/or random "experts?" I only ask b/c the experts are often (usually) wrong in their assessments. Some classics over the years- Taliek Brown was the best scoring guard in NYC, Kirk King was a Scottie Pippen type 3 man, Jerome Dyson and Roscoe Smith were dead-eye perimeter shooters, and Antric Klaiber was a combo forward.

Reaction Score
Just curious.... has the OP actually seen either of the guys play to come to determination that Clarke has a "much better handle etc." Or, is this based off of meticulously edited videos and/or random "experts?" I only ask b/c the experts are often (usually) wrong in their assessments. Some classics over the years- Taliek Brown was the best scoring guard in NYC, Kirk King was a Scottie Pippen type 3 man, Jerome Dyson and Roscoe Smith were dead-eye perimeter shooters, and Antric Klaiber was a combo forward.
To me looks like he has a high dribble and would get picked easy so the notion to me has a handle is odd. He does look like he has a good feel for the game though.

Reaction Score

Don't know if the OP has seen them, but he is one of the posters on this board who tells it how it is on recruiting. I trust his opinion more than most.

Reaction Score
To me looks like he has a high dribble and would get picked easy so the notion to me has a handle is odd. He does look like he has a good feel for the game though.
I've watched clips of both and saw Clarke in one tournament game on TV. I didn't notice that Clarke had a better handle than Jones. Both recruits have been receiving positive reviews this summer, though Jones has been considered one of the most improved and has wowed many with his athleticism. I probably haven't seen enough of either recruit to make a solid judgement, but Jones' length, athleticism and suction like hands really popped for me. He's the recruit I want most and would love to see him take his high flying act to Storrs for a year or two. He has sort of an Anthony Davis quality to his game. If Jones decides to go elsewhere or draws his recruitment out for too long, I'm fine with KO pulling the trigger on Clarke if he wants to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't know about the OP but I have seen both live; most recently Jones on Saturday.

For starters, neither has great handle. Jones has the higher upside, especially offensively. Clarke is the more complete player, especially defensively. Jones is almost certainly the better NBA prospect given his athleticism but Clarke may be the better college player because he's likely to stay longer.

Jones is as athletic as anyone in the entire class. He has added the outside shot to his game so if you leave him open he will make pay the majority of the time. Still doesn't have much of a mid-range game but his shot is smooth and he can easily add that. His size/strength make him capable of posting low and high alot like DeAndre did. The more I watch him play live and on film the more he reminds me of Rudy Gay, high end potential obviously.

Clarke is a scrapper. His game is all about intangibles; he'll rebound at a high rate, we'll never have to run a play for him and he'll do tons of other things that won't show up in a box score. No one on the court is gonna play harder and I would imagine no one will work harder in practice. He'd bring toughness and effort that will never hurt a team. An attitude very reminiscent of Jeff Adrien (not a style comparison). To me he looks to have the potential to be a Kawhi Leonard type; I have taken to calling him a more athletic/stronger Lasan Kromah.

I personally lean towards Clarke because I don't think we need more scoring but I most certainly will not complain if we land either one.

Reaction Score
He's the recruit I want most and would love to see him take his high flying act to Storrs for a year or two. He has sort of an Anthony Davis quality to his game. If Jones decides to go elsewhere or draws his recruitment out for too long, I'm fine with KO pulling the trigger on Clarke if he wants to be a Husky.

Let me be clear, you are comparing Derrick Jones to Anthony Davis? Please explain further?

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Jones...not sure what was meant by @Burnsbros23 about Clarke having a much better handle than Jones...peep the videos, Jones much more than just high flying dunks, he has an impressive handle for such a tall lanky frame (light years ahead of a guy like DeAndre Daniels has)

Clarke more of a high energy, slashing player. Jones is such a unique talent and would be instant impact...Clarke is very good as well but gimme Jones as option 1 on the wing, I'll take Clarke as option 1A

Reaction Score

Yah coach AAU so have seen Clark a few times. I havent seen Jones as much. For those who think Jones has a good handle Probably have not seen him play in person. It is probably more strength than anything but he tends to struggle if the game is in the half court setting.

for those die hard recruiting guys heres a full video of Clarke.

Reaction Score
Can we stop talking about handle please? You can argue that it is the weakest part of each player's game. Neither is getting recriuted because they can dribble. Luckily, we wouldn't be bringing either in to run the point.

Reaction Score
Whichever player has the best outside shot. There is only so much slashing a 3 can do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can we stop talking about handle please? You can argue that it is the weakest part of each player's game. Neither is getting recriuted because they can dribble. Luckily, we wouldn't be bringing either in to run the point.

I thought Clarke could get to the rim. That requires handle no? (note: I'm not a recruit head)

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Handle aside, I'll take Jones' superior length and athleticism. He is the better prospect and he jumps out at you on the tape, but Clarke seems to be a pitbull type player who gives you max effort all the time.
Jones' upside just seems like it's through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog