DePaul Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Do you think Aaliyah was pumped for the matchup with Morrow tonight? It wasn’t quite Chamberlain vs Russell, but man was it one hell of a physical battle. Morrow is a heck of a player, but I am absolutely delighted that we have Aaliyah on our team. For the coaches and sportswriter who vote for AA teams, it was pretty obvious who the best player on the court was tonight.
  • 20 games into the season, I have become conditioned to the fact that whenever UConn really needs a basket, Lou delivers one. Whether she drains a 3, pulls up and hits a midrange jumper, or makes a backdoor cut for a layup, Lou is absolutely MONEY for the Huskies this season.
  • Aubrey plays like an athletic vacuum cleaner sucking up basketballs when opponents attempt to get a pass by her.
  • I felt that rebounding would be a key in this game. To a large degree it was, as UConn dominated DePaul on the boards 59 to 33.
  • Has everyone noticed that in each of the last few games, Dorka has delivered some serious, chest-bumping REJECTIONS on defense?
  • Nika was the only Husky who didn't score tonight. But I'm perfectly happy with 10 assists, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks night.
  • I really love what I saw from our 3-player bench tonight: Amari with some tough post D on Morrow, Ines with a heads-up tip to Nika and fast break basket and Ayanna on a pure hustle play to defend a breakaway layup.
  • Finally, a BIG Boneyard welcome to Jana El Alfy. While it will be a while before we get to see her play in a game, it’s exciting that she came all the way from Egypt to the Basketball Capital of the World to work on her game in preparation to make an impact next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The recent starting five has played so much together that chemistry and trust have developed.

I would take Aaliyah over Morrow every day. Morrow struggles defensively against bigger players. Dorka and Edwards both gave her problems.

I was not real impressed with Morrow’s “physical” play.

Aubrey had 5 offensive rebounds in the first half. The Huskies took advantage of their size and owned the boards.

DePaul tries to play uptempo with UConn. I know it is their style but when you have that much of a talent disadvantage the result is not going to be pretty.

Aubrey is example of what Anthony Bozzella is talking about. The hesitancy that plagued early in her career is gone. She is no longer a great athlete. She has developed into a really good player.

Hall of Fame Coach Bruno is now 0-22 against his friend Geno.

A much needed easy game before going to Tennessee. I probably will jinx it but I have watched the Vols several times and am not impressed.

Reaction Score
UConn (mostly Edwards but others) demoralized Morrow. Stopped running, reduced intensity after about 3 minutes into the second half. Her pushing, shoving, elbows & shoulders became half-hearted. Words that HuskyNan won't let me use here.

I was going to say UConn de-morrowized DePaul, but I would obviously never try to be so cutesy.

Mostly because of intangibles way beyond the stat sheet, Edwards just played one of the best college basketball games I have ever seen.

Good bench minutes, again badly needed for moving forward (I'm a broken record on this, I know). I think Geno will accept the mistakes, bad ones, if he can also get the solid length of intelligence & effort.

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 6.59.45 PM.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Smackdown from start to finish. Couldn't be more happy with how the team played.
  • Aaliyah and Aubrey with double-doubles. And Liya outplayed Morrow by a lot. AA!!!
  • Lou - the only player who hit a 3-pointer. LOVE LOVE LOVE her.
  • Dorka 1 board away from a double-double
  • Nika back to her double digit assists (had 4 TO's sin Q1 but cleaned it up nicely by the end of the game)
  • This is the kind of game i'd like to see from Aubrey every time out. She CAN play great defense AND score. She is SPECIAL!
  • Who was that new kid? Ayanna Patterson - we missed you!! What a nice up and under!
  • Some solid play by DeBerry and Bettencourt
And OMG welcome Jana!

Hope this team brings a lot of what we saw to Knoxville for a Thursday night smackdown...!!!

Reaction Score
Edwards is just remarkable and the way that Dorka and Edwards controlled Morrow was just great!. I like the way that the bench played really bringing something and playing very well with solid contributions. Here's hoping that this team playing will continue with their game against Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Aneesah Morrow is a wonderful BB player and I wish we had her on our team. But as good as she is, DE Paul still has 10 losses. When it comes to any team in our conference there is nobody I fear. After TENN on Thursday , we play Villanova, the last great hope of a UCONN loss. When this remarkable starting five gets done showing Villanova who is the top dog in the Big East, it's smooth sailing into the NCAA Tournament. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
It's becoming evident that the team is establishing chemistry with the players they have available. Edwards, Senechal, Juhasz, and Griffin have all stepped up at capable, efficient, and consistent scorers. With Muhl dropping dimes. They may not be super flashy but they play together, play hard, and play great team basketball. And that is on both ends of the floor. Really great group of players to root for.

It was great to see Patterson return to the lineup, having eight players available was refreshing. It was nice that the subs were able to allow extra rest for Edwards and Senechal for our upcoming game with Tennessee.

Selfishly, I can't wait for Ducharme to get back since she is my favorite player. I think she provides an additional shooter that we desperately need. But she had ear plugs in on the bench, so concussion protocol continues.

For now, really enjoying watching these players, many of whom have traditionally been role players, emerge and prove how talented they are. This season has really made me appreciate the sustained excellence of this program. Riddled by injuries and they continue to impress!

Reaction Score
Before anyone jumps on me, I know SC is Feb 5th and I will address that game just before game time.

Reaction Score
The first half was one of the most exciting games I have seen. Aaliyah was amazing, battling Morrow in the paint and scoring when we needed it. Lou is probably my favorite player now, if I had to choose. Aubrey Griffin is everywhere, she was cooking tonight. The whole team played hard, but I thought Ayanna hit an extra gear in the fourth quarter. Great game.

Reaction Score
Aneesah Morrow is a wonderful BB player and I wish we had her on our team. But as good as she is, DE Paul still has 10 losses. When it comes to any team in our conference there is nobody I fear. After TENN on Thursday , we play Villanova, the last great hope of a UCONN loss. When this remarkable starting five gets done showing Villanova who is the top dog in the Big East, it's smooth sailing into the NCAA Tournament. GO HUSKIES!!!
it seems with this year's UConn team there's never smooth sailing.........more like they are hanging on while being hit with rather large waves........the good news is every game they win they get closer to shore.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom