Defensive play - Nika | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Defensive play - Nika

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yup. My Dad was a track guy at North Carolina and his brother lived in Mexico City, so a lot of interest, and opportunity. Back then TV didn't control the schedule, so all the track & field finals were basically on the same day. Saw the Tommie Smith/John Carlos Black Power salute on the medal stand, saw Jim Ryan unexpectedly lose the 1500 meters, etc.
A neighborhood friend Marty Liquori, still in college also ran in the 1500. In pick up football games, it was always Marty go long.

Reaction Score
A neighborhood friend Marty Liquori, still in college also ran in the 1500. In pick up football games, it was always Marty go long.
I was attending nearby St. Benedict's Prep when he broke the 4 minute mile while in high school at Essex Catholic in Newark. It was a cataclysmic event. He had a great collegiate career and was NCAA champ in the mile in 1969 and 1971. It was always him against Jim Ryun. I knew he was the youngest runner ever to compete in the Olympic 1500 meter finals in 1968 but I didn't know he had a stress fracture and still finished 12th. In 1975 he ran the mile in 3:52.2 but lost the race to a new world record of 3:51.

Reaction Score
As a further mea culpa for you, I calculated Nika's 3FG% for her last 10 games and then some. The spreadsheet shows her running 3FG% and a 10 game moving 3FG%. Currently she is shooting 34.8% for 3FGs. For her last 10 games she is averaging 35.3% for 3FGs. Not much difference. I graphed them. It looks like for this season her 3FG% will fluctuate between 30% and 35%. Hopefully she has an epiphany and averages between 40% and 45% during the NCAA tourney. Big request since she has never approximated 40% this season. Nika better practice all summer long since there will be three new gunslingers in town next season. Hear tell Azzi the Kid is a distant relative of Annie Oakley. Might need more than grit next season. But hey, no worries. You are Geno's slime!
View attachment 65572
View attachment 65571
Nice!

Reaction Score
My nickname for Nika is "The Pest". She's all moving feet and poking hands for whoever she's guarding. They must already hate it. If not, they will. Her attitude and intensity remind me a lot of Kia Nurse or Kelly Faris.

I don't know if there's a stat kept for poking away the ball for an easy steal and layup but if there is Nika will probably hold the NCAA record by the time she graduates. Geno & Chris struck gold on this one.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Why I'm really liking Nika at point.
1) The other 4 player can move and will be getting the ball moving into a scoring position.

1b) when, Page, E, Ono, Anna get the ball moving into scoring position and there is a better option presenting it's self they can hit that player.

2) Opposing points have to devote part of their concentration on Nika and miss opportunities to score.

3) Perhaps, this should be 1st. As Page being Page causing all her teammates to raise their offensive mindsets. Nika being Nika cause all her teammates to become stronger on the defensive side.

4) Last, but just as important is the improvement in her willingness to shoot and the steady increase in efficiency. When opponents try playing 5 on 4, Nika punishes them by knocking down the open shot. Yes!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I also think that Nika has learned to position herself so that if her opposing player does get around her, she is forced in a direction where they then have to contend with Liv or Aaliyah where as earlier in the season when she got beat there was no help. All a part of learning to operate in the context of "team defense" that has improved so much from the Arkansas game.
Also interesting to note that Dennis Rodman is one of Nika's favorite players...
That the thing that mostly getting lost in this celebration. Nika improved defense is the result of a dramatic improvement in defensive techniques. She is taking the right angles, if she find herself in trail position she is locked in on strong hip of the defender and she not getting caught up on screens. She is over playing the passing lanes with the correct hand. When switching she is decisive. None of these techniques were present during the early part of the season. The one thing I'm anxious to see during tournament play is how the refs will call the the reach in swipes by Nika in the open court where it is just her and the ball handler. During BE play that was rarely called as a foul but I suspect come NCAA tournament time it will be called more closely.

Reaction Score
That the thing that mostly getting lost in this celebration. Nika improved defense is the result of a dramatic improvement in defensive techniques. She is taking the right angles, if she find herself in trail position she is locked in on strong hip of the defender and she not getting caught up on screens. She is over playing the passing lanes with the correct hand. When switching she is decisive. None of these techniques were present during the early part of the season. The one thing I'm anxious to see during tournament play is how the refs will call the the reach in swipes by Nika in the open court where it is just her and the ball handler. During BE play that was rarely called as a foul but I suspect come NCAA tournament time it will be called more closely.
100%
I think the entire team has improved in all aspects of team defense. On-ball pressure is where it starts and we have Nika in that spot sparking the whole team. I actually think the points you make about Nika apply to everyone.
I agree with you about the swipe. I think we'll adjust with whatever happens but I'm not sure she's touching the ball handler. She's just laying for that crossover. (switching hands)
Is Nika like the boxer that does not have the superior foot speed, but has the skill and technique to crowd that player in order to take away their advantage? You can't move if you're being crowded. How about Duran vs Leonard. Duran keeps coming forward and traps the faster fighter.

Reaction Score
True but these are things that all freshman struggle with, and to be fair, many players struggle with through their entire career. What you could see though early on, is that she had a lot of 'want to' and despite the injury, she had some good movement skills and more importantly, she had very good anticipation and recognition of screens and where she was on the court and what was going on around her, etc. This is what really impressed me and the reason why I thought she would be at least a good defender.

Her aggressiveness at 35 ft from the basket might need to be reeled in against some whistle-happy refs. She has a tendency to bump a bit which could be called a foul. Her swipes are clean but I worry more that against better players. NM is a river-boat gambler and can get a little 'swipe-happy' and if doesn't work ,and as a result, she loses leverage on the player, she can get beat to the hoop. That has happened a couple times. This makes her look slow of foot as well, although I don't think that is the case.

Good to see your positive vibes concerning NM though!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My nickname for Nika is "The Pest". She's all moving feet and poking hands for whoever she's guarding. They must already hate it. If not, they will. Her attitude and intensity remind me a lot of Kia Nurse or Kelly Faris.

I don't know if there's a stat kept for poking away the ball for an easy steal and layup but if there is Nika will probably hold the NCAA record by the time she graduates. Geno & Chris struck gold on this one.
Hey, I've been calling her that all year....You can't steal that from me!

Just messing with ya Veteran... I am so happy the Boneyard is in love with NM. What a great player and a great story she is and will continue to be at UConn!!! We have over thee years to enjoy this kid!!

Reaction Score
According to Wikipedia, he was a champion high jumper and jumped 6'9 1/2" without the Fosbury Flop ( came about in 1978) which changed the event and led to all the new records. He also ran the 440. He averaged 22.5 rebounds per game for his NBA career. John Wooden said he was the greatest defensive player he ever saw. I also thought he was the best and most astute TV commentator ever on basketball, with Hubie Brown being a close second.
Absolutely agree: Bill Russell was the greatest defensive player ever and also an excellent color analyst--I put him right up there with my all-time favorite, Hubie Brown...

Reaction Score

Just messing with ya Veteran... I am so happy the Boneyard is in love with NM. What a great player and a great story she is and will continue to be at UConn!!! We have over thee years to enjoy this kid!!
Just think about it. The greatest women's coach in history is in your face so bad that your are a sobbing mess in front of a TV audience with no family members near to console you. Next thing you know you are the starting PG on the #1 team in America. I wonder if she pinches herself sometimes. We all know if she does, she will feel no pain or just ignore it if she does.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree: Bill Russell was the greatest defensive player ever and also an excellent color analyst--I put him right up there with my all-time favorite, Hubie Brown...
I would love to hear Hubie do a UCONN game. He would get it right away. To him it would be like the 1969 Knicks.

Reaction Score
Just think about it. The greatest women's coach in history is in your face so bad that your are a sobbing mess in front of a TV audience with no family members near to console you. Next thing you know you are the starting PG on the #1 team in America. I wonder if she pinches herself sometimes. We all know if she does, she will feel no pain or just ignore it if she does.
Terrific observation BBallF. I never quite thought of it that way.

I bet she never, not even for a split second thought of packing it in and going home or transferring anywhere else. Through those tears, she probably thought 'I'm gonna show you, you damn SOB!' :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you look at videos from her play in Europe, stealing the ball from a fribbling point guard has been a part of her game for years.
Dribbling. Stupid spell check

Reaction Score

Sorry, Jazz. I acknowledge your original ownership. Maybe it's just a case of great minds thinking alike.

Is there such a thing as a Croatian All American? I think we will find out in the next 3 years.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If that's so then UCF will have at least 3 players foul out because they do more than just reach they grab.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Dribbling. Stupid spell check
I liked the "fribbling point guard". Sounds like they are about to fribble it away when Nika closes in!

Reaction Score
She doesn't seem quick or fast enough to that impactful, but she is. Definitely no MoJeff. I think it's a combo of quick hands and great anticipation. Being tough as a dollar steak and super-aggressive doesn't hurt.
When Nika grabs a rebound and explodes upcourt with the ball, she's as fast as anyone i've seen do that...

Reaction Score
Sorry, Jazz. I acknowledge your original ownership. Maybe it's just a case of great minds thinking alike.

Is there such a thing as a Croatian All American? I think we will find out in the next 3 years.
I feel honored to be in the company of your great mind Veteran!

I hope NM achieves everything she possibly can. I do know that she will work her a** off to do it and will take to coaching so the arrow will always be pointing up for her. It doesn't hurt to be GA's first slime either.

I also know that I have rarely seen somebody so happy in my life. She is truly living the dream.

Reaction Score
I feel honored to be in the company of your great mind Veteran!

I hope NM achieves everything she possibly can. I do know that she will work her a** off to do it and will take to coaching so the arrow will always be pointing up for her. It doesn't hurt to be GA's first slime either.

I also know that I have rarely seen somebody so happy in my life. She is truly living the dream.
All true about Nika, Jazz. You couldn't have said it better! I can't wait for the tourney to begin.

Reaction Score
Terrific observation BBallF. I never quite thought of it that way.

I bet she never, not even for a split second thought of packing it in and going home or transferring anywhere else. Through those tears, she probably thought 'I'm gonna show you, you damn SOB!' :)
And guess who knew exactly what he was doing when he got in her face and then prodded her?

Reaction Score
I saw at least one player in each of the last couple games that looked like they wanted to punch Nika. I think one look at that black eye changed their mind! You don't punch the tough guy :D. As Geno said earlier in the season "she is as stubborn as a Mühl!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom