Defense is a problem | The Boneyard

Defense is a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We certainly have offensive issues, but our defense is an issue also. I am tired of seeing us have to double team other teams big men. The only teams we faced this year where we should have to double the big would have been Duke and maybe Stanford.
We keep doubling up on Nichols and Goodwin either leaving the other big open for an easy shot or our guard drops down and leaves a shooter wide open for a three.
Why do we feel the need to double these guys. I'm sorry if Brimah can't guard Nichols or Goodwin down low one on one then we have problems. I'm tired of seeing the other team get wide open 3's because we are doubling down.
I don't get what the philosophy is on defense.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We double to try to protect Brimah from foul trouble. We try to protect Brimah from foul trouble because against good teams, our defense goes to complete s*** without him.

We have trouble recovering from doubles because our rotations are slow - common for an inexperienced team. Kentan (who I love) and Omar (who I'm trying hard to like) are particularly bad with their recoveries, though the truth is that everybody on the team except for Phil could use work in that department.

More than anything else, this is what KO has to address in the offseason. It starts with a weight plan that gives Amida a stronger base (hips & core) so that he can better hold his own on the block and won't pick up so many fouls after taking a shoulder in the chest. It extends to some pretty serious film study for everyone else.

The raw materials to be an elite defensive team is there, but their execution & recognition has been painful.

Reaction Score
It's been years of helping out to leave shooters open. Help out to close out, but the guards aren't recovering well and aren't disrupting the outlet pass. Playing the percentages on shots. Our issue with that strategy has been defensive rebounding. When teams miss the jumper we can't seem to keep any girl scout troop off the o-boards.

Reaction Score
We double to try to protect Brimah from foul trouble. We try to protect Brimah from foul trouble because against good teams, our defense goes to complete s*** without him.

We have trouble recovering from doubles because our rotations are slow - common for an inexperienced team. Kentan (who I love) and Omar (who I'm trying hard to like) are particularly bad with their recoveries, though the truth is that everybody on the team except for Phil could use work in that department.

More than anything else, this is what KO has to address in the offseason. It starts with a weight plan that gives Amida a stronger base (hips & core) so that he can better hold his own on the block and won't pick up so many fouls after taking a shoulder in the chest. It extends to some pretty serious film study for everyone else.

The raw materials to be an elite defensive team is there, but their execution & recognition has been painful.
What do you love about Facey's game, what does he do well?

Reaction Score
It's been years of helping out to leave shooters open. Help out to close out, but the guards aren't recovering well and aren't disrupting the outlet pass. Playing the percentages on shots. Our issue with that strategy has been defensive rebounding. When teams miss the jumper we can't seem to keep any girl scout troop off the o-boards.
We have no rebounders. Hamilton helps out, but in the past we had guys like Nappier who could help and we aren't getting that from Purvis who should be a better rebounder with his size.
And it's another open 3 for Memphis.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
What do you love about Facey's game, what does he do well?
Rebounds & shoots a high percentage from the floor. Given his shooting stroke I think he's got range he can extend to the three-point line, but doesn't have the confidence (in himself or of the coaches) to do it with any sort of regularity.

He has all the pieces to be a really, really good college player. I don't think he's had the reps to actually make it work in high-level game situations, which is why there are a lot of WTF moments from him (and Brimah). But given his Freshman-to-Sophomore year improvement curve, I'm expecting him to up his production and cut down his mistakes next year.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is pretty shocking how bad their defense can be against a not too wonderful team. Perplexing.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
That's cause Memphis is shooting like 60%
We have 12 offensive rebounds. They have 13 defensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Making another poor shooting team look good. Just shows when your wide open shots will go down.

Reaction Score
Rebounds & shoots a high percentage from the floor. Given his shooting stroke I think he's got range he can extend to the three-point line, but doesn't have the confidence (in himself or of the coaches) to do it with any sort of regularity.

He has all the pieces to be a really, really good college player. I don't think he's had the reps to actually make it work in high-level game situations, which is why there are a lot of WTF moments from him (and Brimah). But given his Freshman-to-Sophomore year improvement curve, I'm expecting him to up his production and cut down his mistakes next year.
I look at him and see somebody who should be a very good player. He has length, athleticism, shooting touch. What I'm seeing though is a big fat zero from him. He is like a ghost on the floor, plays with no passion. He looked good earlier in the season and was great in the Duke game but since then he has regressed to the point of being nonexistent. I'm shocked at how much this entire team has regressed, Ollie better fix this before next season.

Reaction Score

I just saw him miss from 3 feet away. What is his shooting percentage?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I look at him and see somebody who should be a very good player. He has length, athleticism, shooting touch. What I'm seeing though is a big fat zero from him. He is like a ghost on the floor, plays with no passion. He looked good earlier in the season and was great in the Duke game but since then he has regressed to the point of being nonexistent. I'm shocked at how much this entire team has regressed, Ollie better fix this before next season.
I agree. It seems like the entire team is suffering through the same kind of slump that DD had last January/early Feb. I don't have a great explanation for it, and am just trying to remember how frustrating our other young, NIT teams have been.

And on cue Hamiton blows a fast-break lay-up. Sigh.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I just saw him miss from 3 feet away. What is his shooting percentage?
He shoots 57% from the floor & 68% from the line.

Reaction Score
We have 12 offensive rebounds. They have 13 defensive rebounds.
Missed free throw no rebound, missed 3 pointer finally no rebound then an easy layup. When we need the rebound the most we just don't get it.

Reaction Score
Facey and Brimah are huge liabilities on defense. besides blocked shots they are fairly clueless and continue to show little improvement. Sam for whatever reason in the first half joined them. It was really not Conn-Like defense in the first half at all, discouraging.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Little joy in their making it close at the end. So bummed with how this year turned out. I never expected a NC or a FF year. But this has been no fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Little joy in their making it close at the end. So bummed with how this year turned out. I never expected a NC or a FF year. But this has been no fun to watch.

Yeah pretty much sums up my feelings too David. Strange bit now it doesn't even bother me and that's not good because believe it or not I am passionate about these guys :oops:......it's past painful and now just waiting for the AAC tourney. Tough year but hey, unlike 999 I feel pretty lucky to be a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom