Defense Heavy?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Defense Heavy??

Reaction Score
@Exit 4 what is your best guess for the number of openings we have left (or will have)? Thanks in advance. I am wondering if the staff is hoping to acquire additional offensive players via the portal after spring practice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We lost momentum, and nobody with O skill is coming to play for a team that struggles to put up 14 a game. This is going to be hit or miss until we get some solid winning direction. Critical year for Mora to show he can put together a decent squad.
To me, this is exactly why they WOULD come here. Lots of playing opportunity.

It is a bit of a chicken and egg dilemma. In order to attract play makers you need an exciting offense. In order to have an exciting offense you need playmakers.

This I know. Any offensive skill player coming to UConn is someone who got bumped down in the depth charts at another school. On the flip side, even FCS and D2 kids who do great will get offers better than UConn.

What's the definition of insanity???

Reaction Score
It is a bit of a chicken and egg dilemma. In order to attract play makers you need an exciting offense. In order to have an exciting offense you need playmakers.

This I know. Any offensive skill player coming to UConn is someone who got bumped down in the depth charts at another school. On the flip side, even FCS and D2 kids who do great will get offers better than UConn.

What's the definition of insanity???
I'm hoping we get the overlooked kids that are ready to shine.

Reaction Score
We found a bunch of them 15-20 years ago.
Yes, like Scott Lutrus. You hope for Scott, but if you recruit 100 kids with his stats, maybe 5-10 perform like him. Not sustainable, need those next level kids. Hopefully Cole Welliver

Reaction Score
But UConn was recruiting to a big time conference back them. Not this Indy crap.
Exactly. Miami, VA Tech, West Virginia, Universities of Flutie, Tony Dorsett and Jim Brown all were players of some magnitude ranging from National Champs to perennially ranked programs. Rutgers was the runt of the litter, and look where they are now.

Reaction Score
But UConn was recruiting to a big time conference back them. Not this Indy crap.
I get that it is much harder now, but the pool is bigger too. Good coaches, great facilities, and top notch school could attract some diamonds in the rough.

Reaction Score
I get that it is much harder now, but the pool is bigger too. Good coaches, great facilities, and top notch school could attract some diamonds in the rough.
Absolutely could and should, but players with Wellivers stats/rankings have to become the backbone of the program before we can expect to compete for the top 50 consistently

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that it’s a bit comcerning that we had 10 skills players leave for the portal but only picked up 2? Our high school recruiting class doesn’t have many it’s not like we don’t need them. I feel like that’s a slight indictment of Charlton.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that it’s a bit comcerning that we had 10 skills players leave for the portal but only picked up 2? Our high school recruiting class doesn’t have many it’s not like we don’t need them. I feel like that’s an slight indictment of Charlton.
FIFY

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think that it’s a bit comcerning that we had 10 skills players leave for the portal but only picked up 2? Our high school recruiting class doesn’t have many it’s not like we don’t need them. I feel like that’s a slight indictment of Charlton.
I’m guessing you counted the PWO players in the 10 outbound skill players?
  1. RB Brian Brewton > Middle Tennessee
  2. RB Devontae Houston
  3. WR James Burns
  4. QB Zion Turner
  5. RB Jalen Mitchell
  6. TE Justin Joly > North Carolina State
  7. WR Keven Clercuis
  8. WR Zach Madison (PWO)
  9. RB Hunter Clark (PWO)
  10. WR Jacob Flynn
Skill players inbound w/ Portal still active, JUCO period ongoing till 1/15/24 and next signing day in February:
  1. Cole Welliver (QB) - Liberty Christian High School, Argyle Texas (UConn Commit 6/15/24)
  2. Clemens Richter (WR/TE) - Dresden Germany > Berkshire School, Sheffield MA (UConn Commit 6/15/23)
  3. Brock Montgomery (WR) - Riverdale High School, Murfreesboro Tennessee (Miami Ohio Commit (4/29/23) > Decommit > UConn Commit 6/24/23)
  4. Terrence Smith Jr (WR/QB/ATH) - South Aiken High School, Aiken South Carolina (UConn Commit 7/15/23)
  5. Oliver Lundberg Coleman (RB) - RIG Academy, Uppsala, Sweden (UConn Commit 7/31/23)
  6. Dominic Toy (TE) - Chester High School, Chester PA (UConn Commit 8/5/23)
  7. Jayden Brown (RB) - Lithonia, Georgia > Gardner-Webb (UConn Commit 12/19/23) (Transfer Portal)
My sense is the jury is still out…

Reaction Score
  2. RB Devontae Houston
  3. WR James Burns
  4. QB Zion Turner
  5. RB Jalen Mitchell
  7. WR Keven Clercuis
  8. WR Zach Madison (PWO)
  9. RB Hunter Clark (PWO)
  10. WR Jacob Flynn
Skill players inbound w/ Portal still active, JUCO period ongoing till 1/15/24 and next signing day in February:
  1. Cole Welliver (QB) - Liberty Christian High School, Argyle Texas (UConn Commit 6/15/24)
  2. Clemens Richter (WR/TE) - Dresden Germany > Berkshire School, Sheffield MA (UConn Commit 6/15/23)
  3. Brock Montgomery (WR) - Riverdale High School, Murfreesboro Tennessee (Miami Ohio Commit (4/29/23) > Decommit > UConn Commit 6/24/23)
  4. Terrence Smith Jr (WR/QB/ATH) - South Aiken High School, Aiken South Carolina (UConn Commit 7/15/23)
  5. Oliver Lundberg Coleman (RB) - RIG Academy, Uppsala, Sweden (UConn Commit 7/31/23)
  7. Jayden Brown (RB) - Lithonia, Georgia > Gardner-Webb (UConn Commit 12/19/23) (Transfer Portal)
We had 40 Freshmen on the roster last year. Most red shirted. Progress will depend on how well we recruited and developed last years class.

Reaction Score
We had a pile of Freshmen and red shirts . Maybe they are ready to step up.

Reaction Score
We had a pile of Freshmen and red shirts . Maybe they are ready to step up.
For the first time in idk how many years, we've had a fairly consistent coaching staff across the board. The team played hard last year despite the results on the field and I think Mora is a motivator and a great coach which will lead to more wins come next year.

Reaction Score
  2. RB Devontae Houston
  3. WR James Burns
  4. QB Zion Turner
  5. RB Jalen Mitchell
  7. WR Keven Clercuis
  8. WR Zach Madison (PWO)
  9. RB Hunter Clark (PWO)
  10. WR Jacob Flynn
I'm only concerned with replacing Joly and Clercuis. They both had their moments.

Reaction Score
Misplaced this is the 2024's thread (sorry Medic) but where are the LB's ?

Seems like a major depth problem right now. The only LB I see returning with any PT is Tui Faumuina-Brown who had 61 tackles.

Hope Reid Pulliam works out because it looks like JM will need to find 2 starters and some 2 deeps, from him & the 3 or 4 guys who've never played (other than ST's) that might come back( Chea, Dimonde, Renwick ???) And the 3 2024 LB's that'll need a redshirt year and 25lbs + to even get on the field. Am I missing anyone ?

Reaction Score

Seems like a major depth problem right now. The only LB I see returning with any PT is Tui Faumuina-Brown who had 61 tackles.

Hope Reid Pulliam works out because it looks like JM will need to find 2 starters and some 2 deeps, from him & the 3 or 4 guys who've never played (other than ST's) that might come back( Chea, Dimonde, Renwick ???) And the 3 2024 LB's that'll need a redshirt year and 25lbs + to even get on the field. Am I missing anyone ?
I agree. Unless the underclassmen that played sparingly last year are ready to start, UConn needs 2 more LBs from the portal.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree. Unless the underclassmen that played sparingly last year are ready to start, UConn needs 2 more LBs from the portal.
Shouldn't we expect someone already here to step into a starting role? Just because the portal is a thing, we should still expect results from "the old fashioned way", development of recruits

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we expect someone already here to step into a starting role? Just because the portal is a thing, we should still expect results from "the old fashioned way", development of recruits
True, though the cupboard seems pretty bare and undersized on possible returnees, 2 who came from the portal. (5 or 6 schollie LB's) . Don't know much on Villanueva who started his career at Illinois and got limited run at LA Tech, He didn't seem to make the field last year ( was he injured ?) along with Bechtle a former PWO. Otherwise there's a couple of former safeties who did get on the 2 deep * as LB's. Chea (4 tackles)& Renwick who showed as only playing 4 games.

1704732984835.jpeg

Reaction Score
Became concerned in the 2022 season when Nilay Upadhyayula came in to back up Ian Swenson when he got hurt against Ball State and again later in the year. Hardy played some last year, dont remember if it was at DE or LB but both wheels were damaged earlier.

Reaction Score

Yep, I didn't trust his "commitment" seeing he had nothing about Uconn and one on his twitter account recently, SMH !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom