Defense Heavy?? | The Boneyard

Defense Heavy??

Reaction Score
"Welcome Reggie

Going defense heavy this cycle I see"

Quote from Dr Who85 on Reggies welcome post. I noted this as well somewhere. Wondering about it.

1. Are we that solid on the offensive side?
2. Did we have great needs on the defensive side?
3. Are waiting for the right combo of guys on the offensive side to commit?

something to talk about in post Christmas lull before hoops resumes and fb athletes get on campus

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"Welcome Reggie

Quote from Dr Who85 on Reggies welcome post. I noted this as well somewhere. Wondering about it.

something to talk about in post Christmas lull before hoops resumes and fb athletes get on campus

1. Heaven's no. We are weak across skill positions and offensive line and QB. Need upgrades all across the offense (Including coaches identifying talent for the two-deep and play calling).
3. I sure hope they aren't waiting but rather the timing isn't there yet.

Reaction Score
Still time for other dominoes to fall/dust to settle: 2024 UConn Commit List Only.11 Defense/11 Offense (incl. PWO OL) & 1 Punter.

The first transfer portal window is still open until January 2nd (the players on teams participating in CFP Championship Game get an additional 5 days after the January 8th game to enter this cycle). JUCO can sign till 1/15/24.

Second window is open April 15th-30th 2024.

Reaction Score
I think we'll see a fair amount of new transfer portal players coming in to the program after the spring football game. As our existing players who don't make the two deep on the depth chart likely transfer out. As other programs finish up their spring practices and the rosters get reshuffled we will likely be bringing in additional players.

Reaction Score
1. Heaven's no. We are weak across skill positions and offensive line and QB. Need upgrades all across the offense (Including coaches identifying talent for the two-deep and play calling).
3. I sure hope they aren't waiting but rather the timing isn't there yet.

We did not need an upgrade on the offensive line. We need to replace some very good good players which were lost to graduation. Hopefully the coaches have identified guys who can move up. We have brought in both transfers and freshman over the past two years that have great potential. We also have a very good offensive line coach. If he has players in the system he believes in we should be in good shape - with some expected growing pains.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in another post. Sort last year’s roster by class. There are 40 freshman.

Maybe they are happy with all the red shirts.

Lots of unknowns. 40 it seems.

Reaction Score
Who's our kicker next year? Isn't there a kicker on the roster from Rhode Island signed a year or two ago?

Reaction Score
Who's our kicker next year? Isn't there a kicker on the roster from Rhode Island signed a year or two ago?
Noah Iden graduated a few years ago (?2021/2022)

The only kicker currently on the roster is Punter Seth Turner.

Reaction Score
"Welcome Reggie

We've a pretty good amount of hog mollies on OL... we just need Center depth there IMO (maybe the coaching staff likes what we have at the other spots...

BUT, we still need another QB (a PWO doesn't count here.. we need another scholly QB plain and simple... potential injury alone warrants it)... we should grab a few more RBs too, along with an IMPACT WR (or 2)... there are still a few out there in the portal with pretty decent P5/P4/G5 playing level experience... Thank God we've got a few cycles left until Fall camp starts...

Reaction Score
There is ton of player in the portal that are not committed. After the power conference teams have made their decisions as to who they want there may be some decent transfers for us to land.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We did not need an upgrade on the offensive line. We need to replace some very good good players which were lost to graduation. Hopefully the coaches have identified guys who can move up. We have brought in both transfers and freshman over the past two years that have great potential. We also have a very good offensive line coach. If he has players in the system he believes in we should be in good shape - with some expected growing pains.

We need a center and two guards plus depth everywhere. Even Senn or Lundt shouldn't be safe from a challenge.

I could care less what any metrics say. Only Haynes was above average.

Reaction Score
Without even looking towards JUCO - there are 30+ kickers in the portal (including Ruelas & McFadden) and more entering every day. One position that is not critical to getting the player on campus for early enrollment/learning schemes.

Reaction Score
Seems like having NIL bags(s) in your pocket might find you able to buy some gems coming out of spring practice . Especially if our "depth" #'s are ok. That WR with speed is the one attractive to me.

Reaction Score
I’m really impressed at how well NMSU did this year. I think they were independent until this year and were pretty much even worse than UConn. Lost first game at home to UMass. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I’m really impressed at how well NMSU did this year. I think they were independent until this year and were pretty much even worse than UConn. Lost first game at home to UMass. Go Huskies!
Actually mind blowing. If them, why not us?(minus the loss to UMass thank you)

Reaction Score
Actually mind blowing. If them, why not us?(minus the loss to UMass thank you)
We lost momentum, and nobody with O skill is coming to play for a team that struggles to put up 14 a game. This is going to be hit or miss until we get some solid winning direction. Critical year for Mora to show he can put together a decent squad.

Reaction Score
So looking at our outgoing portal list, who of the uncommitted would you rerecruit? Put personal feelings aside(animosity towards athlete leaving team midseason)

Reaction Score
We lost momentum, and nobody with O skill is coming to play for a team that struggles to put up 14 a game. This is going to be hit or miss until we get some solid winning direction. Critical year for Mora to show he can put together a decent squad.
At least there won't be any realignment delusions to worry about ... unless of course there are.

Reaction Score
Not sure about transfers.

Freshman Class has:

10WR/TE
5 DB
4 LB
10 OL/DL Many over 300lb
2RB
To my knowledge those kids did not play.

What do we know about last year’s recruiting class. Diamonds in the rough?

Spring practice will tell us I suppose.

Happy NewYear

Reaction Score
Man credited with a whole thread from a simple comment welcoming a recruit. I'm honored.
didn't want to rain on recruits welcome parade with a tedious discussion about recruiting philosophy

you did spark the conversation though:)

Reaction Score
To me, this is exactly why they WOULD come here. Lots of playing opportunity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom