Dee Kantner as a ref... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dee Kantner as a ref...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Sorry; BUT, that is a rubbish analysis and comment...

Kanter is one of the best Refs in the Women's game. And, rightfully gets most of the big games.

As to her being fired by the NBA. Each year nba refs are evaluated twice (mid and end) and she was ranked lowest in her 5 years. Well what a surprise - the NBA a male dominated game all around and I would be shocked if she was ranked above any of the men in the panel.

Sooooo - rubbish....

Reaction Score
I may be wrong, but I think I remember that women's refs get to choose their regular-season games based on a seniority system. Since Dee is one of the longest-serving refs, she can choose the big-time games. Like I said, I can't document this right now, but I believe I remember reading that was the system.

That is absolutely NOT the system. Refs can choose to decline assignments but they don't get to choose them.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
That is absolutely NOT the system. Refs can choose to decline assignments but they don't get to choose them.
I absolutely understand that now. When I thought about it after people responded, I realized it really was a boneheaded thought. I was very embarrassed until I remembered this is The Boneyard. What better place for a boneheaded comment?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
The 3 final four games were officiating disasters, embarrassing for women's basketball.
The most truthful thing said in this thread. ND was gifted a championship and we were robbed of one. We were the best team that year, period. When we were robbed, MSU was the best team left. Then they were robbed. There is a common thread here but no one will speak of it. The data is there. There is no way to PROVE it isn't coincidental but any sane person can see that it isn't. You just have to be willing to see it.

Reaction Score
Sorry; BUT, that is a rubbish analysis and comment...

Kanter is one of the best Refs in the Women's game. And, rightfully gets most of the big games.

As to her being fired by the NBA. Each year nba refs are evaluated twice (mid and end) and she was ranked lowest in her 5 years. Well what a surprise - the NBA a male dominated game all around and I would be shocked if she was ranked above any of the men in the panel.

Sooooo - rubbish....
So, the NBA, who lives in fear of tarnishing its image, fired a female ref because of systemic sexism? Sure.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The most truthful thing said in this thread. ND was gifted a championship and we were robbed of one. We were the best team that year, period. When we were robbed, MSU was the best team left. Then they were robbed. There is a common thread here but no one will speak of it. The data is there. There is no way to PROVE it isn't coincidental but any sane person can see that it isn't. You just have to be willing to see it.
Thank you, some said it on the air at the time, but were silenced.

Reaction Score
When she ref’d in the NBA, she annually graded out among the league’s worst refs. Every single year. Wanting women refs, they did everything under the sun to improve her abilities. They failed. She is still bad at her job.
Just curious how a NBA official would grade out if they actually enforced the rules of basketball?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
So, the NBA, who lives in fear of tarnishing its image, fired a female ref because of systemic sexism? Sure.

What, you disagree?

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver addressed the lack of women referees this way “It’s an area, frankly, where I’ve acknowledged that I'm not sure how it was that it remained so male-dominated for so long,”

The "for so long" was 51 years (1946 - 1997)

Silver was not sure...

Sooo in 1997, Dee Kantner and Violet Palmer became the league's first full-time female referees. Kantner was fired in 2002, leaving Palmer as the lone female referee for the next 12 seasons.

12 years later and Silver was still not sure...

He (Silver) now says that about half of the new referees that the league hires should be women.

Sooo @Scud - want to take another whack at this....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What, you disagree?

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver addressed the lack of women referees this way “It’s an area, frankly, where I’ve acknowledged that I'm not sure how it was that it remained so male-dominated for so long,”

The "for so long" was 51 years (1946 - 1997)

Silver was not sure...

Sooo in 1997, Dee Kantner and Violet Palmer became the league's first full-time female referees. Kantner was fired in 2002, leaving Palmer as the lone female referee for the next 12 seasons.

12 years later and Silver was still not sure...

He (Silver) now says that about half of the new referees that the league hires should be women.

Sooo @Scud - want to take another whack at this....
Yeah, I am sure there were a ton of women, who reffed basketball and reffed it well in 1946...or 1956...or 1966...or 1976. Adam Silver is virtue signaling to folks like you. You disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom