Dawn Staley to Call Parents. | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley to Call Parents.

Reaction Score
If folks have a working phone. As long as coaches are being up front with the players and parents during the recruiting process and there is a good line of communication between players, parents & coach, phone calls will work. Communication is key.

Reaction Score
I worry a little about Feagan. The situation changed after she signed with us because of the addition of Cardosa. Feagan now has three bigs ahead of her instead of two.

Reaction Score
just hope the girls don't lose their confidence even if they hit the bench. I don't worry about this team tho with selfishness, they're a team that support each other no matter who starts.

Reaction Score
For me, if the players don't want to wait and think they have better opportunities elsewhere, I have nothing but support for them.

But at the end of the day, the team has to play the best players and do what they need to do to win.

That is the one place where the incredibly difficult schedule bothers me slightly. This team could have used more playing time opportunities for reserves.

But I love schedule like this so I prefer it this way.

Reaction Score
This isn't something new that Dawn does and she does it a few times a year. This is a family commitment and she's very upfront with all of them during recruiting. As for Feagin, Aliyah has really taken her under her wing. I think she will be fine. Feagin wasn't the only one impacted by Kamilla. Amihere is going to feel the most impact I think.

Reaction Score
I’m betting that Coach Geno has an open “line” policy with his player’s family’s all year round.
Much better to have communication 24/7/365 than to have pick up the phone now.
I’m sure his players parents know the deal- and that policy was set forth during recruiting, not a day/week/month before the first game.
Of course the way to avoid that situation is to enroll at ND, Syracuse or UCLA (little dig there).

Reaction Score
I’m betting that Coach Geno has an open “line” policy with his player’s family’s all year round.
I’m sure his players parents know the deal- and that policy was set forth during recruiting, not a day/week/month before the first game.
Of course the way to avoid that situation is to enroll at ND, Syracuse or UCLA (little dig there).
Now, now, now. No criticism of individual prospect choices.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This isn't something new that Dawn does and she does it a few times a year. This is a family commitment and she's very upfront with all of them during recruiting. As for Feagin, Aliyah has really taken her under her wing. I think she will be fine. Feagin wasn't the only one impacted by Kamilla. Amihere is going to feel the most impact I think.
Not trying to get all in SC business here but... Has this ever really been a problem for Dawn prior to this season? There are 16 players on the roster because of the COVID rule. Even when A'Ja Wilson and Alaina Coates were coming off the bench and you high level recruits such as Jatarie White also sitting Dawn found a way to find minutes for all of them.
One other question: Do you believe a healthy redshirt year is being considered as part of managing the SC roster this season?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nah. .. That's not the way Geno runs this program. A conversation with a parent regarding any player's playing time or standing on the team would be an entirely foreign concept for Geno and the UCONN WBB staff.

Reaction Score
Nah. .. That's not the way Geno runs this program. A conversation with a parent regarding any player's playing time or standing on the team would be an entirely foreign concept for Geno and the UCONN WBB staff.

You’re definitely hearing something different that I am from that clip.
I hear that he can trace players wanting to be good teammates back to the parents.
And for that reason, any communication with parents does not touch on minutes/starting- only on the daughters dynamic within the team framework.
That as well as their academic and athletic progress.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it has to be 24/7, but communicating with the parents doesn't hurt in my opinion. I recall on a podcast, Coach Staley said she found this important because the players can still have moments of immaturity depending on the situation.

She referenced the KiKi Harrigan transfer situation as her example. Between a conversation with Harrigan's AAU coach and eventually the family, they were able to straighten things out.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it has to be 24/7, but communicating with the parents doesn't hurt in my opinion. I recall on a podcast, Coach Staley said she found this important because the players can still have moments of immaturity depending on the situation.

She referenced the KiKi Harrigan transfer situation as her example. Between a conversation with Harrigan's AAU coach and eventually the family, they were able to straighten things out.
She's mentioned on numerous occasions that family is just as important as the players themselves. I think she said something along the lines that she wouldn't take in a player who doesn't have respect for their parents. Honestly I don't know if this was worth an article because she's stated similar claims before.

Reaction Score
By that I meant open lines of communication.
I would also guess that the parents of current top flight recruits check in with several parents of current or recent players if they Feel the need to put their minds at ease.
After 15-17 years of nurturing, why not check that box ( if they feel they need to).

Reaction Score
She's mentioned on numerous occasions that family is just as important as the players themselves. I think she said something along the lines that she wouldn't take in a player who doesn't have respect for their parents. Honestly I don't know if this was worth an article because she's stated similar claims before.
Good point. Maybe the reporter thought playing time with this roster was a story and thought this was the angle. I don't see the harm in an article like this. Casual fans may not be as aware as to how Coach Staley operates.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We are not talking about the same things here. Of course any good coach has open ( two way) lines of communication with the parents regarding general things like how a player is adjusting to college etc. Dawn has that and Geno and the staff does as well. That is not the type of communication that this article is talking about and there is nothing in the article to indicate that the communication will be two way. Dawn is calling these parents ahead of a big game specifically to tell parents that some of the players will not be getting the playing time that they are used to or expecting:

From the Article:
“We’ll call them … just let them know, ‘Your daughter is going to go through a major change of playing a lot, not playing or playing a little,’ ” Staley said.

I could never envision a scenario where Geno would do this same thing. That's not saying Dawn is wrong for doing it or hasn't done it in the past. I'm just sayin that in general Geno runs UCONN's program with minimum parental involvement in basketball related matters. The depth chart, playing time and individual player standings are basketball/program relates matters in Geno's mind.
That minimum parental involvement starts in the recruiting process because Geno wants the decision to come to UCONN to be the players. Geno has moved away from several recruits because of overly involved parents. Players that decide to leave have to walk into his office and tell them himself that they are leaving.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We are not talking about the same things here. Of course any good coach has open ( two way) lines of communication with the parents regarding general things like how a player is adjusting to college etc. Dawn has that and Geno and the staff does as well. That is not the type of communication that this article is talking about and there is nothing in the article to indicate that the communication will be two way. Dawn is calling these parents ahead of a big game specifically to tell parents that some of the players will not be getting the playing time that they are used to or expecting:

From the Article:
“We’ll call them … just let them know, ‘Your daughter is going to go through a major change of playing a lot, not playing or playing a little,’ ” Staley said.

I could never envision a scenario where Geno would do this same thing. That's not saying Dawn is wrong for doing it or hasn't done it in the past. I'm just sayin that in general Geno runs UCONN's program with minimum parental involvement in basketball related matters. The depth chart, playing time and individual player standings are basketball/program relates matters in Geno's mind.
That minimum parental involvement starts in the recruiting process because Geno wants the decision to come to UCONN to be the players. Geno has moved away from several recruits because of overly involved parents. Players that decide to leave have to walk into his office and tell them himself that they are leaving.

But I am Guessing Geno has a hot line with Tim Fudd to get shooting mechanics feedback ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But I am Guessing Geno has a hot line with Tim Fudd to get shooting mechanics feedback ;)
Nah.... That shooting stroke is Katie 100%.
2PDEEJQX6EI6RNUBFVGUMKQZEE.jpg

Reaction Score
I think some of you are putting your own spin on a one line comment that doesn’t tell a whole story. Dawn has a great relationship with her parents. The convo is more along the lines of “this is the start of the season and at some point your daughter may get frustrated about PT, along with a lot of things.“. Once the season starts it’s going to be hard on everybody, but the freshmen are going to be the ones who are going to be impacted the most because they havent been through it yet. Every coach is different. She obviously has a great relationship with her players and their parents. This isn’t Dawn doing the calling either. Its the staff and it’s something that is done at certain times during the year every year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s just another spin on the story about South Carolina’s incredible depth this year. That’s the take away.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC has a tremendous basketball program, but first and foremost kids want to play. Dawn's calls to parents are preemptive in nature. Perhaps Dawn has heard some grumbling from a player or players and/or their parents. Some very talented kids, that could start for many teams in the country, aren't going to be getting much PT. The fall semester is going to end in a month or so and players can transfer and be immediately eligible.

For a kid like Amihere, she's looking at 2 more years behind Boston & 3 more years behind Cardoso. She may never crack the starting lineup at SC. I doubt that was her assumption when she decided to attend SC.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not trying to get all in SC business here but... Has this ever really been a problem for Dawn prior to this season? There are 16 players on the roster because of the COVID rule. Even when A'Ja Wilson and Alaina Coates were coming off the bench and you high level recruits such as Jatarie White also sitting Dawn found a way to find minutes for all of them.
One other question: Do you believe a healthy redshirt year is being considered as part of managing the SC roster this season?
Jatarie White transferred from SC to TX after her sophomore season.

Reaction Score
I think some of you are putting your own spin on a one line comment that doesn’t tell a whole story. Dawn has a great relationship with her parents. The convo is more along the lines of “this is the start of the season and at some point your daughter may get frustrated about PT, along with a lot of things.“. Once the season starts it’s going to be hard on everybody, but the freshmen are going to be the ones who are going to be impacted the most because they havent been through it yet. Every coach is different. She obviously has a great relationship with her players and their parents. This isn’t Dawn doing the calling either. Its the staff and it’s something that is done at certain times during the year every year.
So Ms Staley
So Coach Staley tracks them for several years, meets with them and their parents (multiple times?), signs them, coaches and mentors them—then delegates these sensitive calls to staff?
Don’t think so.
Only 16-17 players on scholarship.
I’m sure she finds the time to do this-throughout the academic year.
While I personally disagree with Dawn’s “shtick” regularly ( not that that matters),
I have the upmost respect for her coaching ability and accomplishments.
I just don’t believe she delegates these calls to underlings.
JMHO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom