Dawn Staley on Phee's Olympic Team Selection | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley on Phee's Olympic Team Selection

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I’ve been around them a great deal through these training camps, and I’ve actually coached Napheesa in U18 and U19,” Staley said. “I feel like both of them carved out a space in which we need: Younger legs, great basketball decision-makers on both sides of the ball.

“I think they just separated themselves from the rest of the younger group by doing the little things. It’s hard when you’re that young, you have a tendency to let some of those older, experienced players do their thing, and you tend to just kind of fall back. They fell back, but they also made an impact quietly, and they’re the perfect younger players to be on a team like this because they’re just going to do what they’re asked to do and do it at a really high level.”

And Pheesa:
“It’s awesome to see how many UConn players are on the team and how many have been a part of USA Basketball,” Collier said. “I think it’s a huge tip of the hat to the staff at UConn, Coach [Auriemma] and [Chris Dailey] and everyone that was there. They’ve obviously done a great job in making future Olympians, so I’m really honored to be part of that legacy.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
“I’ve been around them a great deal through these training camps, and I’ve actually coached Napheesa in U18 and U19,” Staley said. “I feel like both of them carved out a space in which we need: Younger legs, great basketball decision-makers on both sides of the ball.

“I think they just separated themselves from the rest of the younger group by doing the little things. It’s hard when you’re that young, you have a tendency to let some of those older, experienced players do their thing, and you tend to just kind of fall back. They fell back, but they also made an impact quietly, and they’re the perfect younger players to be on a team like this because they’re just going to do what they’re asked to do and do it at a really high level.”

And Pheesa:
“It’s awesome to see how many UConn players are on the team and how many have been a part of USA Basketball,” Collier said. “I think it’s a huge tip of the hat to the staff at UConn, Coach [Auriemma] and [Chris Dailey] and everyone that was there. They’ve obviously done a great job in making future Olympians, so I’m really honored to be part of that legacy.”

Who is the second of the "2" younger legs. Aja I guess.

And Dawn's love of Napheesa is well known.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Phee is so versatile she could be drafted by Chaim Bloom!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is really a terrific article. Love anything that gives insight into our great players, past and present.

I know the article doesn't do anything to address Nneka being left off the team, and that is being discussed ad nauseum not only in other threads, but all over social media. So let me just say again...

Congrats of course to the entire US National Team for being honored and selected, but also congrats to Pheesa and Ariel. I know Pheesa was tabbed for the US National Senior team some time ago in that it was expected she'd eventually make the team at some point, but I'm not sure anyone ever thought Ariel would be on Team USA.

Also congrats to the other 1st timers Jewell, Skylar and Chelsea. Jewell has been impressing over the past several years in the W and this season is no exception.

Chelsea is such an odd "looking" player - not so much physically, but you watch her with the ball - she dribbles high and seems to just float about on the court, then you watch her make some incredible plays, passes, or shots and say "oh wow she's really good". She reminds me a bit of Whalen - NOT in their style of play, but in that her style is so different from Sue's, and I think it will be a good complement to get different styles of PG's leading the team.

Skyler - not one of my favorite players historically, but I mentioned in another thread - listened to her get interviewed a few times and came away really impressed. Her B.B.I.Q. as well as her analysis of the team's play, what she needs to do in the absence of Diana, and how to help her teammates just be better - she's well spoken and insightful. She's obviously very talented - but her smarts and attitude really won me over.

Back to Pheesa - so incredibly deserving, so proud of her, and so happy for her. She totally nailed it with “I think it’s a huge tip of the hat to the staff at UConn, Coach [Auriemma] and [Chris Dailey] and everyone that was there. They’ve obviously done a great job in making future Olympians, so I’m really honored to be part of that legacy.”

All future recruits, take huge notice of that please. There's a reason why UCONN has almost 50% representation of the 16 total players between the 3x3 and 5x5. UCONN is THE path for future Team USA success. There is no other program that is even close.

Reaction Score
As well rounded a basketball player that exists in the game today. Just an incredible role model as to how to play the game! Just hate what the game has become....selfish play, 3 point bombs and missed lay ups!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom