Dawn Staley on Paige | The Boneyard

Dawn Staley on Paige

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
from Just Women's Sports:

Quote of the Day​

"I love Paige’s game. For me, I would like for her to take more shots if I’m Geno [Auriemma], because she doesn’t take bad shots. She’s got great court vision, she’s got great court awareness. Paige is going to be an Olympian at some point soon."
Dawn Staley
on UConn superstar Paige Bueckers.​

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Dawn was very complimentary of UConn , Geno, and Paige during her post game presser. She is a hell of a coach, and when Geno retires, she will take over as the goat. I'm actually starting to like her, as she tells it like it is like Geno does. There are no weaknesses with that team, and I would be very surprised if they didn't win it all this year.

Reaction Score
from Just Women's Sports:

Quote of the Day​

"I love Paige’s game. For me, I would like for her to take more shots if I’m Geno [Auriemma], because she doesn’t take bad shots. She’s got great court vision, she’s got great court awareness. Paige is going to be an Olympian at some point soon."
Dawn Staley
on UConn superstar Paige Bueckers.​
See my # 1 entry to "3 things you want to see..."

Reaction Score
Geno and Dawn are right: we need Paige to be our Caitlin or JuJu and throw the team on her back by being more aggressive offensively and taking more shots. She'll then get plenty of opportunities for assists when the opponents try to stop her, and thus everyone else eats! That just might be the tweak this team needs under the circumstances in order to have the best chance to go deep in the tournament. She and Aaliyah need to be consistent double-double machines the rest of the way.

She's such a good teammate and leader that she'd rather share the ball - we all know this about her. But I think there's a difference in sharing the ball, and others score points you could have scored, and performing at such a high level yourself that it inspires and raises the game of your teammates so they do even better. Then the overall team is playing better.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Dawn was very complimentary of UConn , Geno, and Paige during her post game presser. She is a hell of a coach, and when Geno retires, she will take over as the goat. I'm actually starting to like her, as she tells it like it is like Geno does. There are no weaknesses with that team, and I would be very surprised if they didn't win it all this year.
I hesitate to accept the flattery with any enthusiasm. Notice she wasn't so complimentary last year after a hard-fought close game. Many coaches find it easier to heap praise on a team they just drubbed.

Reaction Score
Paige scoring early and often takes the pressure off of the rest of the team. Likely loosens up the others to make good shots. They panic when they are losing and, like Geno says, they try to make it up too quickly. Paige has to get them started. Also Nika has to make sure if Paige is open, she needs to get her the ball. Paige needs to read the game from opening tip. If she has any shot, she needs to take it! Do not pass it! It’s a fine line though, Geno will need to strongly remind the rest they can’t just watch her score the whole game. I still hold out hope that maybe his comments about only playing 7 players the rest of the year will give a last ditch hope that Ines or Amari will step up with a few good minutes! One can hope.

Reaction Score
Geno stops being the goat when he retires? I thought greatest of all time didnt expire until someone actually passed your career?

Reaction Score
A story about Dawn........ When my daughter was a grad assistant at UIW, they went to the dance. The team was put in SC's bracket. My daughter tweeted hoping to meet Dawn. Dawn went out of her way to schedule a meet up. Got pics too. Yup... she's a great coach and I think a better person.

Reaction Score
A story about Dawn........ When my daughter was a grad assistant at UIW, they went to the dance. The team was put in SC's bracket. My daughter tweeted hoping to meet Dawn. Dawn went out of her way to schedule a meet up. Got pics too. Yup... she's a great coach and I think a better person.
She is known for being a kind host to small school visitors.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Paige is being hindered by playing out of character. She is playing the wrong position, the coach altering her way of thinking by wanting her to shoot more and pass less and generally not being able to play her game. Barring more injuries, next season UConn fans will see Paige play AA level basketball. Look at how N. Collier's played after her out of position Junior season.

Reaction Score
Paige is being hindered by playing out of character. She is playing the wrong position, the coach altering her way of thinking by wanting her to shoot more and pass less and generally not being able to play her game. Barring more injuries, next season UConn fans will see Paige play AA level basketball. Look at how N. Collier's played after her out of position Junior season.
Paige definitely needs the ball in her hands more often. Some possessions she doesn’t even touch the ball.

Reaction Score
Paige scoring early and often takes the pressure off of the rest of the team. Likely loosens up the others to make good shots. They panic when they are losing and, like Geno says, they try to make it up too quickly. Paige has to get them started. Also Nika has to make sure if Paige is open, she needs to get her the ball. Paige needs to read the game from opening tip. If she has any shot, she needs to take it! Do not pass it! It’s a fine line though, Geno will need to strongly remind the rest they can’t just watch her score the whole game. I still hold out hope that maybe his comments about only playing 7 players the rest of the year will give a last ditch hope that Ines or Amari will step up with a few good minutes! One can hope.

The opponents are keying on Bueckers from the tap so the pressure is off her teammates anyway. One could almost say that her teammates need to make some shots early to take some of the pressure off of Bueckers.
UConn got good looks all game against SCar. They just missed way too many.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Dawn (along with Tammi Reiss and the Burge twins) is the reason I got into WCBB. I don't like every little thing about her, but she's a really good egg and a helluva coach. Just as with Geno, one of her goals is to grow the game and she's doing a damn good job of it. Going from a largely post-oriented game the past several years to largely guard-oriented this year? Seamlessly accomplished. This is what I've been expecting from one of the best guards ever to play the game.

Reaction Score
Geno stops being the goat when he retires? I thought greatest of all time didnt expire until someone actually passed your career?
Which will probably never happen.

Reaction Score
Dawn (along with Tammi Reiss and the Burge twins) is the reason I got into WCBB. I don't like every little thing about her, but she's a really good egg and a helluva coach. Just as with Geno, one of her goals is to grow the game and she's doing a damn good job of it. Going from a largely post-oriented game the past several years to largely guard-oriented this year? Seamlessly accomplished. This is what I've been expecting from one of the best guards ever to play the game.
But not our own Tonya Cardoza? She was on that team too.

Reaction Score
when Geno retires, she will take over as the goat. When Geno retires, Staley may well be the best coach in WBB. But she's a long way from "Greatest Of All Time." LSU fans might mention that Mulkey has twice the titles Dawn has. Staley will also need to win 30 games per year in every one of the next 17 years to get close to Tara's win total at TVD's age.

Reaction Score
The small line up really impacts two players, Paige and Aaliyah. Ironically the two players I would center my whole roster around if I were Geno.

Reaction Score
when Geno retires, she will take over as the goat. When Geno retires, Staley may well be the best coach in WBB. But she's a long way from "Greatest Of All Time." LSU fans might mention that Mulkey has twice the titles Dawn has. Staley will also need to win 30 games per year in every one of the next 17 years to get close to Tara's win total at TVD's age.
No modern day coach at a top program will challenge Tara or Geno for wins. The chance a coach stays at one place for that long or slim and the competition in most leagues it too good.

Reaction Score
Paige is not fully recovered - physically and mentally. 2 years and some reconditioned parts later and now having to be the go-to, be-all, never-rest team leader is taking its toll. The opposition at the top is much better now than during her freshman year (thanks, portal) and those teams like SC, NC State, Ohio State, ND, etc. are coached to take out the other teams best player. The BE is weak (again, thanks, portal) and we should finish undefeated, then maybe a couple of rounds in the tournament. Since this post is about Paige, we need to hope she stays healthy this year, gets right with body and mind off-season and next year returns to a squad with real shooters (Azzi, Caroline) and one or two real good big people (?) underneath.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It would have been pretty difficult for her to compliment Paige last year.
This retort probably sounded more intelligent in your mind than it actually is. The comment I responded to made reference to UConn and Geno, not just Paige.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom