Dave Benedict on future of XL Center | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dave Benedict on future of XL Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CT residents complaining about commuting... classic. We aren’t entitled to where they play, it’s in the best interest of the university, coaches, and players - not us. Why rent XL when they have a capable venue for the students that pay tuition to go there?

XL should buy games from UConn until it fixes the place.

For a State and University that prides itself on being “basketball capital of the world” they sure don’t have a venue that stands up to the title.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
CT residents complaining about commuting... classic. We aren’t entitled to where they play, it’s in the best interest of the university, coaches, and players - not us. Why rent XL when they have a capable venue for the students that pay tuition to go there?

XL should buy games from UConn until it fixes the place.

For a State and University that prides itself on being “basketball capital of the world” they sure don’t have a venue that stands up to the title.
This is a great idea and shows how backwards the arraignment is. XL gets all the consessions, parking, a cut of the tix AND UConn pays them. It’s so ass backwards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm surprised they don't play a few more games in Bridgeport. It's a really nice arena, close to the train and most importantly, close to Fairfield County donors/potential donors. If you want those Fairfield County and new influx of former NYC resident dollars, you need to pander to them once in a while.

post covid, I would rather see UConn play several games at the garden against big time ooc opponents on weekends.

Reaction Score
I feel that having half of the home games at the XL center is inconsiderate to the students.
When I was a student (2003-2010) they had shuttle busses to transport students to and from the Hartford games free of charge. Other than an extra hour of time, there is no additional burden on the students (assuming the school still offers free shuttles).

I anticipate someone pointing out that student attendance at the XL Center is worse than at Gampel, indicating that it is indeed inconsiderate to students to hold games in Hartford. I counter that by pointing out that every seat in the student section had a screaming fan standing in front of it for most of the games when we were winning. In other words, just win and the students will find a way to overcome the minor inconvenience.

Reaction Score
Were a big State program and we want all our games in a 10k arena? Nice to see 18k at XL for big games

Reaction Score
I went to a mid-week event there. Took an hour to go from the exit to a parking space.

Neil Young played there maybe 5 years back with Crazy Horse, took my dad, I still have nightmares of trying to get off that exit and back on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not bothered by what Benedict said. He represents the state's flagship university, and not the state itself, and he's putting pressure on the state government to do something about the condition of the arena. That's all his job.

I'm just saying that as long as the Civic Center is comfortable enough that state legislators and their constituents would rather attend basketball games there than drive to UConn, they will continue to be played there.
Fully agree. The pricing on the XL lease has been a net loss to UConn. CDRA needs to stop think of UConn playing there as de facto state aid and start treating us like their prime tenant. If they do that, then playing some games there makes sense. If not, it doesn't.

The bigger issue is how much the state wants to subsidize the facility. The CDRA consistently shows an annual $2M loss. That is after the money that state pays it directly and after the indirect aid it get via the UConn leases for men's and woman's hoops and hockey. (And the rent on the Rent but that's a different issue.) It is a cash hole right now.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Being a season ticket holder for both arenas I have always been torn on this argument. Gampel is hands down the better atmosphere year in and year out. Hartford offers much more in the way or pre/post game activities which helps putting money back in the the economy. I would not be opposed to all games being held at Gampel.

One thing I will never get is the argument about commuting to Storrs, maybe I am biased since I live the same distance to both arenas, but I cannot think of one other university that calls two arenas home for the sake of making it easier for part of the state to commute there. We live in a small state, given densely populated in areas which causes traffic nightmares, but still. Also the argument that playing at Hartford hurts the student attendence is crazy too. I never had any issues when I was a student attending games at either arena and over the last 4-5 years our student attendence at Gampel has been abysmal at times. Maybe getting back to winning will fix that but the students were nowhere to be found in the tough years so you have to rely on attendence from the rest of the state which makes the dumpy XL Center the more lucrative option.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For a dump, it's a remarkably warm concert venue imo. Most performers seem to like it and I have seen literally hundreds of great shows there.

I'm obviously in the minority but I've got nothing but love for the Civic Center. Well, I could do without the stale frying grease smell, and I wish they would sell hard cider, but otherwise I've got no issues.

I love Gampel, too, and I always enjoy a trip back to campus, but these days I am rarely making that trip on a weeknight.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's time for Connecticut and Hartford to do something. Either do a nice renovation or just close it. The conditions get worse every year with the Civic Center and it's not fair for UConn.

Gampel also needs to be redone too. If they keep avoiding renovating Gampel it will be in the same spot as the Civic Center.

UConn should probably just build a new multi purpose arena for basketball and hockey.

Yeah we are just teeming with cash.

gotta spend it somewhere.

Reaction Score
It's time for Connecticut and Hartford to do something. Either do a nice renovation or just close it. The conditions get worse every year with the Civic Center and it's not fair for UConn.

Gampel also needs to be redone too. If they keep avoiding renovating Gampel it will be in the same spot as the Civic Center.

UConn should probably just build a new multi purpose arena for basketball and hockey.
With what money?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
post covid, I would rather see UConn play several games at the garden against big time ooc opponents on weekends.
Agreed. I was thinking more in terms of during the week but yes, games at MSG draw really well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I went to a mid-week event there. Took an hour to go from the exit to a parking space.
I once waited for 2 hours to get out of my space in the parking garage post-event
I went to a concert there two years ago; I am posting this from the parking lot.

I'm surprised they don't play a few more games in Bridgeport. It's a really nice arena, close to the train and most importantly, close to Fairfield County donors/potential donors. If you want those Fairfield County and new influx of former NYC resident dollars, you need to pander to them once in a while.
I saw a few of UConn's games in Bridgeport. It's a worse basketball arena than Hartford and the atmosphere was far more sterile. It's enough that someone in Fairfield County can go to the Civic Center on the weekend in 50 to 70 minutes. You don't need to move games to Bridgeport. But moving all games to Storrs does cut off a portion of the fan base.
the benefit was that it was on the metro north line otherwise the traffic on 95 especially getting off that exit blows.
Neil Young played there maybe 5 years back with Crazy Horse, took my dad, I still have nightmares of trying to get off that exit and back on.
It's a fine venue and the train access is a nice benefit, but the traffic pattern and parking are a nightmare.

The best advice is to park at the Stratford train station and take the train for one stop, during which they don't even have time to check for tickets. If we have to drive there, we now park at shopping center on the other side of the overpass. It's a longer walk, but it saves you the madness of the circuitous route to get out of the parking area and back on the highway.

Reaction Score
Yeah we are just teeming with cash.

gotta spend it somewhere.
With what money?

I mean they are already building a brand new hockey arena for $50 million. Get some more funding from the school/basketball donors to kick in some money. Save themselves money in the long run.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to nicer arenas for sure, but I don’t see the problem with XL. Capacity is good, seats are ok, personal space is ok, sight lines are good.

Location allows for some bars after the game.

I think CT is low on cash. There isn’t NFL type revenue in play here. XL seems adequate.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve been to nicer arenas for sure, but I don’t see the problem with XL. Capacity is good, seats are ok, personal space is ok, sight lines are good.

I think CT is low on cash. There isn’t NFL type revenue in play here. XL seems adequate.

I haven't been there in I don't know how many years, but I don't think it's awful as place to see a game. The deal UConn gets is awful. That should be the gripe. It's a disgrace. Same with the deal at the Rent as I understand it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I went to a concert there two years ago; I am posting this from the parking lot.
[chuckle]

Nicely done.

Reaction Score
Yeah that would suck if all the games were at gampel- Hartford so much easier to get to , less packed in, can pre /post game at bars and restaurants, your cell phone actually works, and u can drink at the games and parking /walk to arena much better.
Yeah id be really p`d off if they stopped playing in hartford. I dont even have to drive anymore. I just hop on the train to and from. Its the best! Im not a fan of driving out to Storrs from Meriden.

Reaction Score
This Gampel vs XL discussion again. I live in Fairfield County and have season tix at XL. Hartford is just the better option for fans down here. I completely understand the play all games at Gampel argument. But less fans from here will make the trip or maybe only a game or two. And then less reason to donate also. I’d be OK with it but will spend my money at MSG.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I mean they are already building a brand new hockey arena for $50 million. Get some more funding from the school/basketball donors to kick in some money. Save themselves money in the long run.

have you seen the recent donor pledge?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Personal space is not adequate. There is very little room between rows, but I don't know if there is anything that can be done about that, due to the steepness of the concrete bowl. It would have to be gutted and rebuilt within the confines of the exterior walls.

Reaction Score
The XL is beneficial to UConn and UConn is beneficial to the XL. Work it out.

And Gampel-only is stupid, particularly over winter break when there's no one on-campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom