Dan Hurley Gone ..!!! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Gone ..!!!

Reaction Score
After staying up to 1:15 AM working off a Bourbon Buzz I came to the conclusion that that T deal reminded me of Donny Marshall’s getting dinged for sarcastic applause. GMAG

PS I am retired so I can do crazy stuff after a game like that these days..

Reaction Score
Why can’t you do both?
Haaaaaaaaa! Yeah. Grabbing for straws there. It was fun to read their board last night. Things like "who cares if they won. We are way better". and ""wait till we see what happens on a neutral floor in the BET". Apparently they've never been to a BET with us at MSG. It ain't neutral pal

Reaction Score
Look, I am a proud UConn grad, and a former college basketball player. I bleed Blue and White. I officiated (high school, not college) basketball for 12 years. I do NOT praise or criticize referees lightly. I have found that on this blog there is an inordinate discussion of officiating, be it basketball, football or hockey. Officiating is difficult. In most gyms/arenas/stadiums the decisions we make will likely please 50% of the crowd while alienating the other 50%. It comes with the territory. We must accept that, or we would not subject ourselves to the inevitable criticism. We do it because we love the game, whether or not you believe it.
If you think that second tech on Hurley was warranted then you're clueless.... wouldn't want you reffing any game I'm playing in or watching. One of the biggest conference games of the year for both teams and you toss one of the head coaches for getting the crowd going? He had already moved on from the tech like someone else said earlier in this thread. He laughed with Cole, gave him a high 5 and then got the crowd going. I even saw some Providence fans call BS on the second tech.

Reaction Score
One of the biggest wins of the decade and a poster finds a reason to blame the coach for the refs being partial.
If you think expected a coach to show composure and read the room is asking too much, we won't see eye to eye on many things.

The 2nd tech was a bad call. A composed coach avoids giving the ref the opportunity to be a . We hold Players to that standard all the time.

Reaction Score
More than ok. I'm sure Cooley whispers sonnets into refs ears when he disagrees. Or maybe he sings Taylor Swift like the rest of the fans. So hardcore.

Reaction Score
This will get me a bunch of crap, but my guess is the UConn coaching staff were on an 0-2 count due to the Bouknight debacle a couple days ago. Refs are human after all.
so, to recap recent activity, hurley, got teed up vs. xavier, then criticized the refs after the game, then got teed up twice in the biggest home game in years (yes, the second was not justified) - and, at the same time, had a former player thrown out of a game without any postgame criticism, and an active player, aj, got teed up for dropping the ball on a fallen nova player and another, jh, almost crossed the line for taunting a nova player after a block. and some are wondering why the refs might arrive with a bit of a chip on their shoulder regarding uconn ?? personally, dh's rantings are detracting from my enjoyment of the game and eroding my pride in uconn. i do not understand how he is unable to keep his emotions in check and get his opinions across to the refs without swearing like a madman. he is supposed to be a leader and teacher of young men, yet apparently the lessons that are being received are not good ones. great win in an awesome game - just wish that i could have enjoyed it without cringing. jmho

Reaction Score
so, to recap recent activity, hurley, got teed up vs. xavier, then criticized the refs after the game, then got teed up twice in the biggest home game in years (yes, the second was not justified) - and, at the same time, had a former player thrown out of a game without any postgame criticism, and an active player, aj, got teed up for dropping the ball on a fallen nova player and another, jh, almost crossed the line for taunting a nova player after a block. and some are wondering why the refs might arrive with a bit of a chip on their shoulder regarding uconn ?? personally, dh's rantings are detracting from my enjoyment of the game and eroding my pride in uconn. i do not understand how he is unable to keep his emotions in check and get his opinions across to the refs without swearing like a madman. he is supposed to be a leader and teacher of young men, yet apparently the lessons that are being received are not good ones. great win in an awesome game - just wish that i could have enjoyed it without cringing. jmho
I respect this. Counter point: I'd wager most of us enjoyed this uconn win more than any win in the past 7 years. I could be wrong

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The point is if Hurley didn't get a tech immediately after spewing those words, he didn't deserve it 20 seconds later.

Firing up the crowd is only the proverbial straw for a grudge holding ref who felt shown up.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your interest in UConn men's basketball

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Did you feel the same in the 1986 - 2013 timeframe?

Reaction Score
Live look in at what Hurley thinks of the ejection:

IMG_3452.jpg

Reaction Score
Any footage from the broadcast that shows what Hurley did to warrant the first T? As I rewatch Raftery keeps saying Hurley “slapped the siding.” From the TV broadcast in real time Hurley does nothing to justify even the first T. He’s just standing there & once Breeding crosses half court he gives Hurley T #1.

Reaction Score
Does DH need to reign it in a tad? Sure, but if yelling and swearing at refs are a problem for you, college and pro sports might be a little too much for your nature. I'm guessing you had pride under JC. Newsflash, JC swore like that dude from Deadwood and went ballistic at times to refs and journalists alike. He could make a dockworker blush.

CLAS92

Muttley
Reaction Score
Hurley has established himself as a hothead unable or unwilling to control his emotions. You can argue about the 2nd T all day long, but Hurley’s good will with the refs was gone long before this game.

He needs to study Calhoun’s T technique. He was an intense coach, but used T’s like a pro. He used T’s to motivate his team.

Hurley has a long way to go. His lack of control could’ve cost us the game if Kimani hadn’t stepped up.

Reaction Score
Any footage from the broadcast that shows what Hurley did to warrant the first T? As I rewatch Raftery keeps saying Hurley “slapped the siding.” From the TV broadcast in real time Hurley does nothing to justify even the first T. He’s just standing there & once Breeding crosses half court he gives Hurley T #1.
They showed a different angle during the game as they came back after the under 12 timeout in the 2nd half. He slapped the scorers table while Breeding was on the other end of the court, circled him here behind Polley and the Nova player

2580CF29-F628-402E-94AA-123723300D82.jpeg

I couldn't tell if he was saying anything after, but he was turned away from Breeding watching the play when he got the first T

160A1C85-A807-41C0-993A-82096D5FD4E3.jpeg

Reaction Score
Live look in at what Hurley thinks of the ejection:

View attachment 73665

Greenberg is on the money here. Hurley has a reputation with refs, and it ain't a good one. Calhoun's antics worked because he had the respect of every single ref in the league. DH hasn't quite earned that yet. He can still be demonstrative without crossing the line night in and night out. Personally, I liked the first T. Coach deserved it, but it also riled up the team... I thought it was well-timed. The problem was that his constant berating of the refs every night came back to bite him. He hasn't earned that license yet.

Two things can both be true: 1) The second technical was uncalled for, and 2) Dan Hurley needs to have more control of his emotions on the sideline if we're going to reach our potential as a program.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to learn some self-control. Loved how Kamani comported himself right down to the wire. The line between extreme passion and outright stupidity is pretty thin and one needs to know when the line is crossed. Hurley has managed to develop a counterproductive relationship with the refs, and they are looking for excuses to T him up, and that's not good. Worked out fine, he has to work on this.

Reaction Score
This from the Nova Board:
"what a joke...You can contend for titles or storm the court. You can't do both. Uconn made their choice."
I have no problem with that as long as they keep it on their board. We get good posters and idiots from most adversaries. The Nova fans that come here have been good posters. Plus, they might not understand the nightmare journey to hell and back that we’re completing. That was a several year catharsis in action

Reaction Score
@FriarJ When Hurley was initally T'd up by the ref (Breeding), the latter was not facing him and was located deep in the back court. Additionally, Breeding's view of Hurley was at least partially blocked by a Nova and a UConn player.

Do tell FriarJ, when you purportedly read Hurley's lips precisely what do you think he specifically said? Pretty sure Breeding read Hurley's lips or heard Hurley in a packed loud arena? Just checking. /s

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no problem with that as long as they keep it on their board. We get good posters and idiots from most adversaries. The Nova fans that come here have been good posters. Plus, they might not understand the nightmare journey to hell and back that we’re completing. That was a several year catharsis in action
I just thought it was funny. Uconn and Villanova need each other. Villanova benefits greatly from our inclusion and resurgence in the big east. But..We are a historically better program since the BE began (not by much but still better) and I think right now, as of today, these two teams are pretty even.

Reaction Score
He criticized the refs during the Xavier game for awful/missed calls and up to the point of the first technical last night there were multiple missed calls that nova was getting that UConn wasn't. Martin CLEARLY got fouled and Hurley got mad. As a coach would you rather have Ollie who didn't look like he fought for his players and sat on the bench moping around or would you rather have Hurley who stands up to refs and stands up for his players getting fouled? I agree that he sometimes needs to tone it down but last night was an abomination. Hawkins showed excitement for his block and the ref was right there.. if he wanted to T him up he would've IF it was bad enough. Andre let the ball go on the guy (mistake) but the nova guy threw it right back to him. Double Tech... its called attitude and its good to play with some.

In regards to Hurley swearing... you clearly never heard Coach Calhoun at a game. Also.. here is a little excerpt from a NYP article that Ian O Connor wrote about the illustrious coach K.

"The first time I sat directly behind the Duke bench, I could not believe what I heard. Mike Krzyzewski was already an all-time great college basketball coach, but I had no idea he was a world-class curser too. Even a drunken sailor would have insisted that he be ejected from the game.

Coach K’s profanity knew no bounds. Refs, players, assistants, you name it — nobody was spared. I remember thinking to myself, “There are a lot of grandmothers across America who adore this guy who would be mortified if they sat within 15 rows of him.”

Hurley isn't the first nor the last coach to use some colorful language.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom