Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Next week: “why UConn should go to the B10.”

From their series: “ Conferences that have not expressed any interest in inviting UConn.”

I would be in favor of UConn joining the big 10

Reaction Score
Uconn is gonna struggle to find games. UConn and umass the only schools as real indepdents?

Army, Liberty, BYU all locked in.

New Mexico State got thrown out. I think UConn is going to have to find a way to get its football program into a league or at least affiliated with a league.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As long as the basketball teams continue to win, AD David Benedict can hide behind that fact and continue to allow football to spiral into oblivion.
Didn't like the guy when he first got here and despise him more now
BTW - UConn would be in the NBE now even if he never stepped onto the UConn campus.
The NBE begged for UConn to rejoin and he took the victory lap.

Reaction Score
I think we should join the Sun Belt for football only. I don’t think the MAC will take us for football only.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That’s better than the bowls we would get invited to now. Actually we have zero bowl tie ins.

You guys don’t get it. What we have right now is pretty garbage.
The bowl thing is a nothing burger. MAC and CUSA bowls are no better than the overflow bowl we get if we win six games as a independent. I can see players wanting to play for conference titles and honors but don't give me the bowl nonsense. That is truly a nothing burger.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I think we should join the Sun Belt for football only. I don’t think the MAC will take us for football only.
The Sun Belt won't have us, and I have no interest in playing about 11 or 12 of their programs.

Reaction Score
It might be our only option unless the AAC or MWC would take us. We will have to drop to FCS if we can’t get into a conference

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It might be our only option unless the AAC or MWC would take us. We will have to drop to FCS if we can’t get into a conference
No, we don't. We have proven to be able to schedule and get a TV contract as independent and pay coaches at a higher level than most G5 teams. Just need to finish games.

Reaction Score
I support the move. Let's go to the MAC for football only.
This will cost me dropping seasons tickets from the day we (UConn) went there. Just me, not attacking anyone who still would have interest.
Party of four that I get the tickets, organize the tailgates etc. Interest is in D1 football.
Fan attendance is a secondary issue. Getting into a real conference is the primary issue.
Fan attendance and interest is the number one issue, that would lead to getting into a football conference. I have to politely disagree with you on this one. No school moves up without attendance or fans showing interest.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That would be 300,000 for all sports. We wouldn't get that as a partial member. But let's say that we did does giving up 200,000 a year sound like a winning play to you? If you are going to say say well will make so much more down the road, be prepared to explain how that will happen.

Yeah, he conveniently ignores facts presented to him, to come up with his next biiiiig mean word like dufus.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
His premise is somewhat sound.

If we continued to apply our current resources into a conference like the MAC one would think we would be very strong in that conference. Almost like a Gonzaga model.

The only issue I have is that we should have already done this when we were in the AAC.

That was our chance to distinguish ourselves but instead we fumbled the football.
If we hired Lashee as HC instead of OC we’d be in the Big12 right now

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This will cost me dropping seasons tickets from the day we (UConn) went there. Just me, not attacking anyone who still would have interest.
Party of four that I get the tickets, organize the tailgates etc. Interest is in D1 football.

Fan attendance and interest is the number one issue, that would lead to getting into a football conference. I have to politely disagree with you on this one. No school moves up without attendance or fans showing interest.
MAC is D1. FBS even!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The bowl thing is a nothing burger. MAC and CUSA bowls are no better than the overflow bowl we get if we win six games as a independent. I can see players wanting to play for conference titles and honors but don't give me the bowl nonsense. That is truly a nothing burger.
Nothing for you, perhaps, but you are not a player. It matters. Why would a recruit want to come to one of two independent schools, both terrible at football, with nothing to play for?

Reaction Score
That would be 300,000 for all sports. We wouldn't get that as a partial member. But let's say that we did does giving up 200,000 a year sound like a winning play to you? If you are going to say say well will make so much more down the road, be prepared to explain how that will happen.

Who cares?

This department used to lose $40M a year and you are worried about losing the pocket change that CBS gives us?

You can’t make up how stupid you sound.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who cares?

This department used to lose $40M a year and you are worried about losing the pocket change that CBS gives us?

You can’t make up how stupid you sound.
I guess. On the other hand, a lot of people have pointed out how you're instinctive default to name-calling rather than actually discussing things on the merits makes you a not particularly credible or interesting poster.

"We are losing money, so let's lose more money without any plan to ever earn it back" is super genius stuff. I congratulate you on it.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t make a difference to me. I’ll still be a fan and continue to hope for the best.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I guess. On the other hand, a lot of people have pointed out how you're instinctive default to name-calling rather than actually discussing things on the merits makes you a not particularly credible or interesting poster.

"We are losing money, so let's lose more money without any plan to ever earn it back" is super genius stuff. I congratulate you on it.
And also completely ignoring other revenue sources also depleting. If you think we keep even 3/4 of our ticketed fans when playing directional midwestern schools or the new CUSA, I have a bridge to sell you.

But yeah, we’re the stupid sounding ones.

Reaction Score
Nothing for you, perhaps, but you are not a player. It matters. Why would a recruit want to come to one of two independent schools, both terrible at football, with nothing to play for?
Just asking on how do you know what matters to players? I have a few young men in my neighborhood that started for B1G teams. Absence of nil, to the man, #1 The preference would be to play in a P4 conference, best in one with longstanding rivalries. #2 would be to play against a schedule which includes as many P4 and academies as practical and any local rivalries. Small sample size I know but It was all about competing against nationally recognized football schools. To a man they preferred the indy schedule we play to anything the MAC, CUSA., Sun Belt, etc. has to offer yet not against playing them to fill out a schedule. I agree. To be clear not making you wrong just disagree.

Reaction Score
We don’t get good players in the portal now.

We don’t have much NIL money now.

We don’t recruit that well right now.

Honestly how could it get much worse.

Some dufus on the realignment board said we would take a financial hit LOL.

As if getting $300k from some G5 is so much worse than getting $500k from CBS.
Victor Rosa and Roberson aren’t good recruits? Some might disagree with you on several points in your ridiculous post.

Reaction Score
That’s better than the bowls we would get invited to now. Actually we have zero bowl tie ins.

You guys don’t get it. What we have right now is pretty garbage.
I was being silly. I get that both suck and that MAC will be forever or until interest tanks then it's back to FCS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom