CV says goodbye to Gampel vid.. Sniper Out! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CV says goodbye to Gampel vid.. Sniper Out!

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
CV may have some deficiencies as a player, but you cannot deny his heart and effort over the past four years. Definitely a guy we could always use on the team and a model for other incoming players' to look at. He will be missed.

Reaction Score
Yes. No he isn’t the best player not on the wall but he’s the best example of a player, teammate, hard worker and loyalist to the program not on that wall. Timing is everything. Christian came along at a time when we desperately needed him.

But he wasn't the same guy for all 4 years right? I mean AJ Price, Sheffer and so many others aren't on there and they were better players. I can't see it I must admit I think we just remember him in the way you described. But I do see your point!

Reaction Score
But he wasn't the same guy for all 4 years right? I mean AJ Price, Sheffer and so many others aren't on there and they were better players. I can't see it I must admit I think we just remember him in the way you described. But I do see your point!
If they put jerseys up for heart and commitment his jersey would not only go up but his number would be retired. I'm torn because others like Boat aren't there yet. But I still think those two deserve it as much as Rudy G. Maybe there is some other honor for 4 year outstanding committed players they can create. Maybe plaques on the concourse.

Reaction Score
CV - UConn POY AAC POY
The most misunderstood, most misaligned star in UConn basketball history
When he walks off the court for the last time - the stats he will have amassed will be eye opening
He needs to be on the wall of honor
I can't rebuttal this sentiment at all. It will make my year as a sports fan if UConn can make the NCAA tourney. I don't care if they lose first game, well I do, but just getting there would be enough for me at this moment.

I would be very pleased with a NIT invite as well. Any postseason basketball after the AAC would make me very pleased for CV and Alterique.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Do you put a Husky on the Wall of Honor just because he was a hard working kid that was a real Husky for 4 tough years, played some good basketball and was a true warrior? Because he's not as good as many Huskies who will never see that wall. I ask that in all seriousness because maybe he should be because of the story I'm not sure.

yeah. Top 10 in scoring and (should be) conference POY is great for a 3 star guy, but is it wall worthy?

Reaction Score
Do you put a Husky on the Wall of Honor just because he was a hard working kid that was a real Husky for 4 tough years, played some good basketball and was a true warrior? Because he's not as good as many Huskies who will never see that wall. I ask that in all seriousness because maybe he should be because of the story I'm not sure.
that's a really good question. I guess I am just caught up in the moment with this team. I would have no objections if they did put him up there, though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If they put jerseys up for heart and commitment his jersey would not only go up but his number would be retired. I'm torn because others like Boat aren't there yet. But I still think those two deserve it as much as Rudy G. Maybe there is some other honor for 4 year outstanding committed players they can create. Maybe plaques on the concourse.

Rudy G was an AA. You can't just go throwing guys up there willy nilly. It takes away from the meaning of it. Not everybody gets their number up, even if some are deserving. That's OK.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone can be objective about who belongs on the wall while the player is still at UConn and the season is still in progress. I'll find the conversation much more compelling in 5 years. (Although there may not be any space left on the wall on account of the new banners. )

Reaction Score
Rudy G was an AA. You can't just go throwing guys up there willy nilly. It takes away from the meaning of it. Not everybody gets their number up, even if some are deserving. That's OK.

Absolutely true. But that’s the point. Is Christian Vital “everybody”? Not even close. Especially, as we make it back from oblivion. This team would still be terrible if he had left.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Absolutely true. But that’s the point. Is Christian Vital “everybody”? Not even close. Especially, as we make it back from oblivion. This team would still be terrible if he had left.

No, but would you put him above Boat? I wouldn't not. Is he above Jeff Adrien? I don't know. I would probably say no, but that's jmo.

Both of those dudes are tough arse 4 year dudes who contributed significantly to the program, one instrumental in winning a NC and the other in bringing UConn to a FF.

And neither of those guys are up there.

Reaction Score
No, but would you put him above Boat? I wouldn't not. Is he above Jeff Adrien? I don't know. I would probably say no, but that's jmo.

Both of those dudes are tough arse 4 year dudes who contributed significantly to the program, one instrumental in winning a NC and the other in bringing UConn to a FF.

And neither of those guys are up there.

What do the record books say? He’s the most underrated player we’ve ever had. Frankly, this has been a top 10 all time season in terms of fan enjoyability for me. Boat won a title, put him on the wall and put CV right next to him. It isn’t like we need to overload the wall. These guys are all about UConn. Boat is all about UConn to this day. These are the guys that go on the wall.

Reaction Score
@Storrs South posted it in 2019. Anything for this year?

I have not seen the official MBB account post it anywhere so I do not have it unfortunately, but it was a great video and I hope they do post it at some point. I've also asked the guys who made the intro video to post it a 1,000 times and they still haven't delivered.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What do the record books say? He’s the most underrated player we’ve ever had. Frankly, this has been a top 10 all time season in terms of fan enjoyability for me. Boat won a title, put him on the wall and put CV right next to him. It isn’t like we need to overload the wall. These guys are all about UConn. Boat is all about UConn to this day. These are the guys that go on the wall.

He's also been playing against what is historically very substandard competition. I'm not knocking him here. Love the kid. I just think being an AA should be part of it. It's about being the best in the country. CVs great, but nobody's gonna put him in that category

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
its the wall of honor not the hall of fame and who has honored Uconn more than CV over their time here. I agree Boat deserves to be there but so does CV. When you look back on his 4 year stretch who has worked harder or put more of themselves out there to be the hero or the goat & continue on like a true warrior.
Its not always about who was the best player but he who exemplifies hard work, dedication & fortitude. I believe we would all be hard pressed to name another husky that could match CV's desire, drive & growth over their time at Uconn.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
its the wall of honor not the hall of fame and who has honored Uconn more than CV over their time here. I agree Boat deserves to be there but so does CV. When you look back on his 4 year stretch who has worked harder or put more of themselves out there to be the hero or the goat & continue on like a true warrior.
Its not always about who was the best player but he who exemplifies hard work, dedication & fortitude. I believe we would all be hard pressed to name another husky that could match CV's desire, drive & growth over their time at Uconn.

There's only so much space. And the girls are taking up 3/4 of it. At a certain point, it becomes less meaningful. I like having hard, fast rules like AA only or whatever. If you want to go 1st team all Conference fine. Just don't start picking and choosing based on feelings or whatever.

This is coming from someone who really likes guys like CV. If CV is there, the Taliek has to be there. Boat does. Adrien does. Ricky Moore does, Kfree. All the guys who were warriors.

I don't see how you can argue CV is more (or less) deserving than those guys.

EDIT: to me, this kind of seems like recency bias. if you asked people, when each of those guys careers were finished, if they belonged in the Huskies of Honor, I'd think most would answer in the affirmative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's only so much space. And the girls are taking up 3/4 of it. At a certain point, it becomes less meaningful. I like having hard, fast rules like AA only or whatever. If you want to go 1st team all Conference fine. Just don't start picking and choosing based on feelings or whatever.

This is coming from someone who really likes guys like CV. If CV is there, the Taliek has to be there. Boat does. Adrien does. Ricky Moore does, Kfree. All the guys who were warriors.

I don't see how you can argue CV is more (or less) deserving than those guys.

EDIT: to me, this kind of seems like recency bias. if you asked people, when each of those guys careers were finished, if they belonged in the Huskies of Honor, I'd think most would answer in the affirmative.

You don’t have a bad argument. I just see see CV as unique because he was brought in by KO. He chose not to transfer or even complain about anything. He stayed here and saw things through. He lived through a train wreck and will leave the program poised to return to the top.

Honestly, I think his rebounding at his size is what makes me think so highly of him. He’s just an animal on the court and he is the perfect role model as Danny tries to teach these new guys about effort and relentlessness. You look at CV and all you see is relentlessness. His motor is legendary.

Reaction Score
Fantastic speech. And good to hear 'Who Let the Dogs Out' again

Reaction Score
I loved him ever since he hit foul shots at MSG as a freshman against Cuse. Great ending to a great career!

Reaction Score
CV passed Adams in career scoring and is now 10th in UConn history. Lowest ppg of 13.5 in the top 10, but still an impressive accomplishment. FYI, the next lower ppg is Adrien at #18 in scoring with a 12.1 average.

Below are the guys still within reach if there is a decent run in the AAC tournament and post-season action - He could realistically end up 6th or 7th all-time depending if they win and advance in tournaments.

Kemba - 48 points away
Boatright - 51
Gordon - 60
Corny - 75

intlzncster

Reaction Score
CV passed Adams in career scoring and is now 10th in UConn history. Lowest ppg of 13.5 in the top 10, but still an impressive accomplishment. FYI, the next lower ppg is Adrien at #18 in scoring with a 12.1 average.

Below are the guys still within reach if there is a decent run in the AAC tournament and post-season action - He could realistically end up 6th or 7th all-time depending if they win and advance in tournaments.

Kemba - 48 points away
Boatright - 51
Gordon - 60
Corny - 75

For a relatively unathletic low end 3star, it's really impressive. I get that he had one more year than guys like Kemba to do it, but a guy like Adams got just as much burn as CV over 4 years. And Adams was (borderline?) 5star.

Reaction Score
He’s very athletic. Kid can get up for a rebound or dunk on the break in style and has great body strength.

I’d say for a kid who isn’t supposed to be this good or athletic, he’s turned out to be really good and athletic. He doesn’t have hops like Sid or speed like Kemba, but he just never seems overmatched physically any more. I’d say even his physical abilities are under appreciated.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He’s very athletic. Kid can get up for a rebound or dunk on the break in style and has great body strength.

I’d say for a kid who isn’t supposed to be this good or athletic, he’s turned out to be really good and athletic. He doesn’t have hops like Sid or speed like Kemba, but he just never seems overmatched physically any more. I’d say even his physical abilities are under appreciated.

He doesn't have great hops. He's not that fast or quick. First step isn't great. Gilbert is waaaay more athletic for example.

What he is is strong, which alone doesn't mean athletic--Carlton is strong too, and he's a negative athlete. He has pretty good balance. And he's got insane instincts on the boards which is why he gets so many boards. His hands are like spidermans. Ball just sticks to them. Good strength their as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom