Cuse players in the NBA | The Boneyard

Cuse players in the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's take some time to look at some notable Cuse players in the NBA:

Dion Waiters - 14 PPG, 3 APG, 2 RPG, 38% shooting, 12.3 PER

Hakim Warrick - 7 PPG, 3 RPG, 40% shooting, 11.2 PER

Jonny Flynn - Last spotted in Portland last season where he put up 5 a game on 38% shooting. Now plays in the D-League.

Wesley Johnson - 2.4 PPG, 30% shooting

Fab Melo - The Celtics haven't even given him a look despite desperately being in need of an athletic center who can protect the rim. He last made news when he walked into a door hinge and knocked himself out.

The NBA pedigree of this program is a lot like their NCAA Tournament pedigree - Carmelo and a bunch of "WTF's".

Why did I make this thread? Well, because I hate Cuse and it's nice to say so out loud once in a while, and in the 0.02% chance a future recruit stumbles across this message board, maybe they'll re-consider their saturation with this program. What was it that's so enticing about this program again? Was it the zone defense? The weather? The cranky old coach with a voice as annoying as an expired car engine? An opportunity to lose to La Salle in the Sweet 16? I'll even be nice and refrain from making any Bernie Fine jokes. But if somebody could explain why a seventeen year old kid would choose this program over another random ACC school, I'm all ears.

Reaction Score
That's pretty weak for a team that has "owned the big east" for forty years.

Reaction Score
Hard to judge Waiters this early on, he's having a comparable rookie year to Kemba's rookie year.

Wesley Johnson on the other hand, I thought he'd be pretty good in the league.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They've never been particularly good at producing NBA players, but on the flip side, it ain't easy putting players the NBA. You can have a career as a role player like Hakim Warrick and in the grand scheme of things, a eight to ten year NBA career is a huge, huge bucket of win. The lottery flops are pretty horrific, though - Flynn and Johnson have been disasters.

You can't grade Fab Melo at this point - he's a rookie and teams are making good use of the D-League with guys like him. The competition in the D-League is pretty good and better to get minutes there than to stare at the court in the NBA. (Got called up today, though.)

Waiters' raw numbers are pretty good, but his shooting percentages are not. He settles for a lot of long twos because he's having trouble getting to the rim. Again, a rookie and too early to judge. My guess is that he has a solid career ahead of him.

Anthony - Carmelo is Carmelo.

Warrick - Strictly a role player, probably in the last two years of his career. Lost his starting gig last night to Adrien. But how do you call that a failure when the kid will have made $20-22M playing basketball?

Jon Flynn - Hurt his hip which didn't help, but he never really looked like an NBA point guard. He's in Australia - NBA career is over.

Wesley Johnson - Suns declined his option, he's a warm body with an expiring contract. He might not be in the NBA next year.

Reaction Score
Boheim's ability to develop NBA talent is as overrated as his 900 wins. You cant really count Carmelo as a player Cuse developed into a star. He would have been this good with or without going to college. Hakim Warrick is the best player Boheim actually developed and he is a role player at his best. Also as for his 900 wins, I would like to see how many of them were against Ithica, Canisus, Niagra, etc up in Syracuse.

Reaction Score
So what's the point? Boeheim has done a good job?
Or is it; "Beware all you high school prospects that read the boneyard, take head and use UConn poster's analysis & opinions to choose your basketball scholarship destinations wisely lest you wakeup down under with a bad hip!"

Reaction Score
#midmajorobsessedwithsyracuse

Thanks for your interest in UConn basketball doc!!!;).....guess you're obsessed with mid-majors huh? Imagine how tough it's going to be for you and your mid-major thoughts when UConn wins #4 and you're still hoping to buy another "We're #1" tee shirt?? LOL

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
playing zone just doesn't prepare you for the next level

although it might give you a little success on the 1st weekend of the dance

Reaction Score
Hard to judge Waiters this early on, he's having a comparable rookie year to Kemba's rookie year.

Wesley Johnson on the other hand, I thought he'd be pretty good in the league.

I agree on Waiters - I loved his game last season, and I actually think he'll turn out to be a good player. Then again, I felt the same way about Flynn and Johnson and they've been terrible.

Look at a school like Marquette - Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, Wesley Matthews, Steve Novak, and Dwyane Wade are all NBA rotation guys, and aside from Wade, none of them were particularly coveted coming out of high school. There are certain schools that have a knack for developing raw talent into NBA material and Syracuse isn't one of them. That means something.

Reaction Score
The biggest reason for some schools "having a knack" for developing NBA players from those guys who aren't sure-fire NBA guys is likely that those schools/coaches instill more discipline, determination, and a hardworking personality. They may not develop fully in 1-4 years, but that stuff stays with you and will impact every day of additional training and coaching in the NBA.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They should be called the Yellowmen. Ever get a look at Jim Boeheim's teeth? That man does not brush twice each day.

Reaction Score
I honestly think their biggest recruiting pitch is "come here and you wont have to play defense and you will be adored by our self aggrandizing fans".

Then again they have a lot of crap working for them. Just here to sit in the zone, wont play anyone out of conference so pad those stats, get revered by a huge fan base in a "city", will have a coach who absolutely will not suspend you under any circumstance, wont have to participate in academics (what are those anyways?). And finally, the media will be so bias and spew all year how great you are and look the other way when you inevitably get arrested.

Did I miss anything? Seems like a great pitch to me. Just IGNORE the fact that you will be upset in the 2nd round or sweet 16 and if you do manage to get drafted you will be out of the league in 2 yrs. 3 tops.

Reaction Score
They've never been particularly good at producing NBA players, but on the flip side, it ain't easy putting players the NBA. You can have a career as a role player like Hakim Warrick and in the grand scheme of things, a eight to ten year NBA career is a huge, huge bucket of win. The lottery flops are pretty horrific, though - Flynn and Johnson have been disasters.

You can't grade Fab Melo at this point - he's a rookie and teams are making good use of the D-League with guys like him. The competition in the D-League is pretty good and better to get minutes there than to stare at the court in the NBA. (Got called up today, though.)

Waiters' raw numbers are pretty good, but his shooting percentages are not. He settles for a lot of long twos because he's having trouble getting to the rim. Again, a rookie and too early to judge. My guess is that he has a solid career ahead of him.

Anthony - Carmelo is Carmelo.

Warrick - Strictly a role player, probably in the last two years of his career. Lost his starting gig last night to Adrien. But how do you call that a failure when the kid will have made $20-22M playing basketball?

Jon Flynn - Hurt his hip which didn't help, but he never really looked like an NBA point guard. He's in Australia - NBA career is over.

Wesley Johnson - Suns declined his option, he's a warm body with an expiring contract. He might not be in the NBA next year.

Lets not forget about Dante Green either...but his fate reads the same as Flynn and Johnson.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lets not forget about Dante Green either...but his fate reads the same as Flynn and Johnson.

Damn, you're right.

He's a complete bust - I don't even think he's in the league right now.

Kris Joseph was cut from the D-League by the Celts but should get picked up by someone at some point.

Reaction Score
Damn, you're right.

He's a complete bust - I don't even think he's in the league right now.

Kris Joseph was cut from the D-League by the Celts but should get picked up by someone at some point.

He's not. A lets also not forget Paul Harris who was another huge recruit who never even sniffed the league.

Now whose ready good laugh??

Speaking of Paul Harris, last I looked it up he was on the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters of the renowned Philipino league. If you think I'm joking look it up.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Jim Bohemin is a compiler and a very good one.

Reaction Score
So what's the point? Boeheim has done a good job?
Or is it; "Beware all you high school prospects that read the boneyard, take head and use UConn poster's analysis & opinions to choose your basketball scholarship destinations wisely lest you wakeup down under with a bad hip!"

Heed. Take heed. And the point is Syracuse sucks, and Boeheim does a lousy job of developing NBA players.

No offense to the Cuse, but as was pointed out by an earlier poster, the current state of conference realignment entitles us to take whatever shots we want at whatever programs we want. So, yeah, f the Cuse.

Has there ever been a Cuse recruit who overachieved in the NBA? There's Carmelo and then there's...yeah, can't think of anybody. The Pearl, Seikaly, Coleman, Moten...all pretty much underachieved. Badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom