Cunningham out at ND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cunningham out at ND

Reaction Score
But, but, but wait, does he want Geno's job too?
Is he our next coach?
What's his handle, I'll launch a preemptive strike. :p
No he just wants to be part of a perennial power again. Asst Coach Jumper will do just fine. I think?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I responded initially to UConnCat's post on coaching changes. Who woulda thunk that an assistant coaching change at ND would pop up on the UConn area? (Slow times in WBB ;) ) Anyways, most of what I wrote hold for here, too:

There has been a lot of discussion on this at the Bench and within the South Bend community, as you can imagine, including:
- While not a P5 program, Beth Morgan Cunningham was a fairly successful head coach at VCU for nearly a decade before heading to ND to join Muffet McGraw after Jonathan Tsipis took the GW HC job.

While she was not as demonstrative as Niele Ivey, she had a lot of input as the wing coach (K-Mac was her most noted pupil) and Muffet acknowledged Cunningham's contributions to in-game changes in strategy and her background as a HC to keeping the overall coaching staff sailing smoothly.

- Some folks think Niele simply wants to work with Coquese Washington, who was Ivey's position coach when Ivey was the point guard on the 2011 NC team.
- Plus, Washington is a former collegiate and professional point guard, in addition to her PG coaching background. She can work with incoming combo guard Alasia Hayes and current combo guard Katlyn Gilbert, who will man the PG position this year.
- Perhaps just as importantly, you can bet she'll be step-for-step with prized 2021 recruit Olivia Miles the moment that PG gets on campus.
- Given the uncertainties of all aspects of collegiate sports, financing probably was a factor. Owens and Cunningham were assc. head coaches at ND and Washington was at Oklahoma. Even if Ivey is (probably) not being paid what McGraw was, I'm sure AD Jack Swarbrick wanted to keep the staff at two assc. head coaches, with Michaela (Mike) Mabrey filling out the staff.

- One thing for sure: Morgan Cunningham was embedded in the ND-South Bend community (she and her husband are both ND grads). There's a rumor that she's applied for the assistant coaching spot open on the UNC staff under Courtney Banghart. The AD at UNC is an ND alum, "Bubba" Cunningham (no relation to her husband). Will be interesting to see where and in what capacity she emerges in next. In any case, best of luck to Beth, who has made a lot of contributions to ND WBB, which is one reason why she's in the Irish Ring of Honor.
Ok, you prompted my curiosity due to her success at VCU and why she would have left there to become an ND assistant. Here's my findings that you can edit, add comment or ignore:
Ms. Cunningham was a very successful coach at VCU, the most wins in program history. She made 1 NCAA and 5 WNITs during her time in the Colonial, last year was 2012 and the first year in the A-10. She left over a title IX lawsuit citing fair pay to which a settlement of $125K was awarded to her. Curiously enough, her successor at VCU, Beth O'Boyle is now making $220K per year. This would be at the very high end of Assistant P5 coaches salaries. To me, Beth joining NC is a good option and should lead to her garnering a P5 job somewhere if NC continues its improvement under Courtney and Beth. Heck, even @triaddukefan and @CamrnCrz1974 might want her next spring to move the mere 7 miles to Durham...;)

Reaction Score
@dogged1 I would log onto Volnation to advise Jumper of his status in the By, however I posted previously that I had been banded, only to be told by an astute BYer, that I had actually been banned. Sometimes you gotta laugh lol.

Reaction Score
I have to admit I hate it when coaching changes that are more or less internal promotions result in a coaching move. One article I read referenced she “wasn’t retained” which to me means not voluntary.

she will definitely land on her feet somewhere with all her experience and background. Still I’m sure there will be some feathered ruffled as a result.
Yea, when you follow a team you educate yourself on the staff and pretty soon you have some favorites. When the new coach comes in it's almost a death knell. They are going to bring in the people who support them and are familiar with their style of play and pretty soon your favorite assistant is looking for a new job.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Might he be in the BY under an assumed name? Hmmm? If not, he should come on over. I ain’t ascared

Speaking of being in the BY anonymously, I wonder if Geno has ever commented on something he’s seen here? :eek: Per something so egregiously wrong or out of line that he had to respond.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Uh oh, I see a potential Donut run by @triaddukefan to sooth his anxiety if this true...NC would become the second best program in the State, after State...:rolleyes:

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

But as far as donuts go.... I haven't had any since January 10th .... im overdue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Speaking of being in the BY anonymously, I wonder if Geno has ever commented on something he’s seen here? :eek: Per something so egregiously wrong or out of line that he had to respond.
He’s been known to refer to people here as idiots.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ok, you prompted my curiosity due to her success at VCU and why she would have left there to become an ND assistant. Here's my findings that you can edit, add comment or ignore:
Ms. Cunningham was a very successful coach at VCU, the most wins in program history. She made 1 NCAA and 5 WNITs during her time in the Colonial, last year was 2012 and the first year in the A-10. She left over a title IX lawsuit citing fair pay to which a settlement of $125K was awarded to her. Curiously enough, her successor at VCU, Beth O'Boyle is now making $220K per year. This would be at the very high end of Assistant P5 coaches salaries. To me, Beth joining NC is a good option and should lead to her garnering a P5 job somewhere if NC continues its improvement under Courtney and Beth. Heck, even @triaddukefan and @CamrnCrz1974 might want her next spring to move the mere 7 miles to Durham...;)

I've written about her departure from VCU in one form or another over the years, but let's just say that Coach Morgan Cunningham had the unfortunate timing to be at the same school as Norwood Teague, when he was athletic director.
Although the out-of-court settlement was sealed, many think this had to do with how Teague treated the women's program. Here's a link.

Apparently, this reached a breaking point for Morgan Cunningham and when an opening for an assistant coaching job came at her alma mater, she pretty much flew at the opportunity.

(BTW, This is better than the behavior that Teague exhibited at this next job at the University of Minnesota; one which ultimately ended in his resignation and money paid by the university to settle claims against him.
)

Looking head for BMC, I've also hinted at the same scenario that you've pointed out: that when Duke AD Kevin White (finally) comes to his senses (and decides a car does better when not stuck in neutral), Beth Morgan Cunningham might be a very good person to interview for the Blue Devil HC position. After all, they, too, have mutual Notre Dame experiences. The irony is that I really thought Niele Ivey would've been a natural candidate for the Duke job one of the times Kevin White reupped JPM's contract (then again, this is the same AD who ensured that former ND football coach Charlie Weis next two generatations of ancestors didn't have to work...:rolleyes: ;)...based on one good season and unsubstantiated rumors Chalie might go back to the NFL.)

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm still stunned by the way Muffet was so casually tossed to curb. And apparently to ND's benefit. Amazing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm still stunned by the way Muffet was so casually tossed to curb. And apparently to ND's benefit. Amazing.
Casually tossed to the curb? After all of MM’s success at ND, I’m pretty sure the decision to step down as the HC of ND WBB was her own decision on her own terms. Out of respect for all she has done, ND has created a continuing role for MM with the University out of a desire to keep her connected to the school. MM stepped off the bus on her own. She wasn’t tossed to the curb.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind BC at UConn..never too late for somebody to join the good side ;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
After all of MM’s success at ND, I’m pretty sure the decision to step down as the HC of ND WBB was her own decision on her own terms.

Her departure was surely executed smoothly, but I'm not entirely convinced that it was entirely Muffet's decision.

She surely exhibited concerning, public displays of severe emotional stress during this past season that would have been a cause for concern, regardless of her past success...especially so in a school so finely attuned to athletic political correctness as ND

I had expressed the opinion earlier that some move might have taken place during the season...medical leave, temporary suspension, even dismissal (gasp). She may well have been warned
or admonished at that time

The University, tactfully waited until the end of the season, the new coach in waiting was a given...long decided...and the resignation and hiring was quickly accomplished with the requisite honors
being heeped.

I comprehend the mounds of conjecture pilled up above, but
Muffet's inability to function efficiently in the face of adversity was
a warning sign that the admin could not overlook.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Her departure was surely executed smoothly, but I'm not entirely convinced that it was entirely Muffet's decision.

She surely exhibited concerning, public displays of severe emotional stress during this past season that would have been a cause for concern, regardless of her past success...especially so in a school so finely attuned to athletic political correctness as ND

I had expressed the opinion earlier that some move might have taken place during the season...medical leave, temporary suspension, even dismissal (gasp). She may well have been warned

The University, tactfully waited until the end of the season, the new coach in waiting was a given...long decided...and the resignation and hiring was quickly accomplished with the requisite honors
being heeped.

What you have written fails to rise even to the level of conjecture.

It amounts to nothing more than "I think they fired a Hall of Fame coach because she was in a bad mood while losing a lot of games".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You gave him a slow hanging curve ball, he had to hit it out of the park.:rolleyes:

NO, he swung ans MISSED. Head bang He threw some shade that was unnecessary. No one directed any comments toward him or mentioned his name.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

being heeped.

No doubt that this past season took its toll on MM, to the point where she reacted emotionally at times. Do I believe that concerned parties at ND spoke to MM about her postgame actions? Absolutely! Do I believe she was asked to step down? No I don’t.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
NO, he swung ans MISSED. Head bang He threw some shade that was unnecessary. No one directed any comments toward him or mentioned his name.
Maybe none of my business, but I think most of us just saw good natured banter.
You sure your reading @Zanzman original right?

Reaction Score
Come on Carnac or swami your name touts you as King of the prediction and I believe you were just patting yourself on the back about a recruit you got right in another post but you can’t take a little ribbing you did leave me an opening and I took it all in good humor

Reaction Score
I am surprised Marina Mabrey got to stay because it doesn’t seem like she has good enough experience. She went from GA to an assistant coach to an administrative role to an assistant coach which was like ND worse season ever.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I recall vividly back in the late 90’s and most of 2000’s we rooted for ND quite a bit as UCONN fans, this was due in large part to their coaches warm demeanor, teams strong play and competitiveness.

Recent decade feelings reasonably shifted away from that, I feel not because of the ND wins and development of a strong rivalry but more so due to MM Overt competiveness and adversarial nature emerged over the past decade she came to lose her old self, the one I revered, a classy, smart, competitor that anyone would be proud to have their kid play for!

Perhaps she felt it too and needed to step away and focus on a new pursuit. Hope she regains her old self, I miss her!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I am surprised Marina Mabrey got to stay because it doesn’t seem like she has good enough experience. She went from GA to an assistant coach to an administrative role to an assistant coach which was like ND worse season ever.

From what I've seen on zoom pics, Marina Mabrey is hanging out in South Bend but that's because it's big sis Michaela (a.k.a., Mike, Mabrey1) is the one who has the assistant coaching position with Notre Dame.

That said, I'm not surprised that she was retained at all:
- she's an assistant coach who has had increasing amount of responsibility in four consecutive years since graduating;
- she's worked with some pretty darn good coaches and/or programs at Miami U. (Meier), U of Miami, Ohio (Megan Duffy), LSU and ND;
- MM selected her over some other excellent assistant coaches (all of whom were older and more experienced than Mike); and,
- She did well enough for that to get to Niele, who was always in touch. BTW, Niele and Michaela are tight, as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom