CT Post Editorial | The Boneyard

CT Post Editorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In an editorial in the CT Post extolling their pride in the UConn Huskies women's team, they posted a photo of some of the ladies holding the trophy and wearing their Final Four hats. It was a lovely photo of Azzi, CW, and Paige in the gym with confetti all around and Cut the Net T shirts on display. It was a very laudatory piece on the history and class on display. However, they did not take enough pride in the team they were praising to get their names correct. Such a pity to blow such a chance at showing love for our ladies.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I just commented. My latest mantra is "do better". Somewhat ridiculous that the title is "UConn women the pride of Connecticut" and you misidentify a senior? SMDH.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Big Deal. We have no idea if it was a spelling error or a typo, but it really doesn't take away from the sentiment expressed so get over it.
It is a big deal! They stated Christyn Williams name as Evina Westbrook. Not a typo, or a spelling error. Read the darn thing before you run your mouth. If I called you dogcrap, not dogpause, you might think of it as a big deal. But I did not because I took the few seconds to check it. The article was very complimentary, and then the editor fell asleep. It diminished their stated intent.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It is a "Big Deal" when writers and editors take the time to get male players' name correct. I mean, how about them Lady Huskies!
Exactly. It's a big deal. It's bad craftsmanship, and it happens more than it should. The NYT recently posted a picture of Venus Williams in an article about Serena. In 2018, Fox News used a picture of Patti LaBelle in a tribute to Aretha Franklin after her death. Samuel L Jackson was misidentified as Laurence Fishburne in a live interview.

Reaction Score
As a fairly recently retired. 42-year veteran of newspaper editing and writing, I'm with all of you who are critical of the mistake. It's brutal. I will note, however, that mistakes are certainly not limited to women's sports. Sadly, the asleep-at-the-wheel editors who let such screw-ups go through are gender blind.

Unfortunately for an industry that is already hanging on by its fingernails in many ways, staffing for proofreading and that important extra layer of editors who should catch such egregious errors no longer exist, except perhaps at the richer papers such as the NY Times, Washington Post or Wall Street Journal.

As some have said, it was a very welcome effort by the CT Post. Too bad they messed it up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's interesting how some of you can get so worked up over this mistake in a newspaper, but seemingly could careless when numerous members here (supposedly fans) can't begin to spell the players' names correctly. This is blamed on "auto-correct" (whether that's the case or not) and it's tolerated over and over again.

Think about it, if you were a member of the team and your name was constantly being misspelled by your "fans", how would it make you feel? Do you think these kids don't come here to read what's being said about them, their team, and teammates? Think again!

Come on, it's Nika not Nike, it's Paige not Page, it's Evina not Evine, it's Christyn not Cristin, it's Caroline not Carolyn or Carolina, it's Aaliyah not any one of a number of other ways some here spell it.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's interesting how some of you can get so worked up over this mistake in a newspaper, but seemingly could careless when numerous members here (supposedly fans) can't begin to spell the players' names correctly. This is blamed on "auto-correct" (whether that's the case or not) and it's tolerated over and over again.

Think about it, if you were a member of the team and your name was constantly being misspelled by your "fans", how would it make you feel? Do you think these kids don't come here to read what's being said about them, their team, and teammates? Think again!

Come on, it's Nika not Nike, it's Paige not Page, it's Evina not Evine, it's Christyn not Cristin, it's Caroline not Carolyn or Carolina, it's Aaliyah not any one of a number of other ways some here spell it.

Yes, I expect this comment will be deleted and if not, to receive numerous childish dislike buttons.
Some posters have spelled Geno's name Gino. Believe me, there have been complaints about the misspelling of player's names.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

many of us have been saying this for a long time and although plenty of BYers seem to think it's 'nothing to fret about' many others agree it's important to give the players the meager respect of getting their names right,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog