Creighton beats DePaul | The Boneyard

Creighton beats DePaul

Reaction Score
The Jays found their stroke and beat DePaul 92-82. DePauls Morrow finished with 33 points in the loss.

Reaction Score
DePaul just seems to bring out the best (Offensively) in teams. You might have a bad shooting game here and there but when you see DePaul is next on the schedule, you just know that you will find your shooting stroke against them. ;)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Morrow was 14-36 and 3-7 from 3-pt range for those 33 point. Not great…
Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
I haven't watched DePaul this year but looking at stats, Morrow is taking 24 shots per game at a 43.6% clip, 21.1% from 3, and 60.6% from the line. That's not good efficiency at all for a front court player.
She has struggled lately. I think some of her efficiency was better last year (at least up until this point). But obviously she is a focal point of opposing teams after the year she had as a freshman.

Last 5 games have been:

14-36
13-31
6-24
8-24
1-7

Reaction Score
I haven't watched DePaul this year but looking at stats, Morrow is taking 24 shots per game at a 43.6% clip, 21.1% from 3, and 60.6% from the line. That's not good efficiency at all for a front court player.

Can you imagine Azzi getting 36 shots

Reaction Score
It’s not but she’s being triple-teamed most possessions and DePaul lacks outside shooters to help her.

Their roster composition is overall pretty weak this year. Losing Morris, Held, and Church left the cupboard bare on the perimeter.

It’s unfortunate that she’s having such an inefficient season because she really is a tremendous player with a nonstop motor.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It’s not but she’s being triple-teamed most possessions and DePaul lacks outside shooters to help her.

Their roster composition is overall pretty weak this year. Losing Morris, Held, and Church left the cupboard bare on the perimeter.

It’s unfortunate that she’s having such an inefficient season because she really is a tremendous player with a nonstop motor.
Looking at yesterday's box score reinforces what you've said:
  • Not one other teammate took double-figure shots.
  • Both Kendall Holmes and Anaya Peoples shot 5-8: All five of Holmes' made field goals were from three-pt. land, so she is now DePaul's sole consistent long-range gunner.
  • Peoples had one three, but primarily does her damage from inside. She never really developed any shot past, say 10 feet, at ND, which is one reason why Sonia Citron took her place in the starting line-up. Hard-nosed player but she shouldn't be a next-line option for any team.
  • Creighton, by contrast, had five double-digit scorers.

Coach Bruno has to get some reinforcements for Morrow, Holmes and Peoples.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That’s not getting your other players involved, and it is putting all your eggs (hopes) in one basket. Not a sustainable winning strategy.

Reaction Score
I have zero problem with Morrow putting up those numbers. Coach Bruno has faith in her.

That's for sure. And it's like a couple previous posts noted, she doesn't have enough around her for support. The offense output is anemic.

I compare it to how teams defend Boston and SC. Their opponents are going to continue packing the paint because they can afford to. Until someone from DePaul shows that they're a consistent threat from outside, this will continue.

It is perplexing to see DePaul struggle with 3-point shooting. I'm used to seeing at least one or two players being able to shoot it consistently.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
DePaul is probably the 5th or 6th best team in the Big East this year which is quite impressive for the Big East. UConn, Creighton, Villanova, St. John's and Seton Hall all have better wins than DePaul thus far. Maddie Siegrist also has the green light for 'Nova but to me takes better shots-hence her .527% on 157 FGM from 298 FGA, with 26-63 and .413 in 3 pt shooting to go with only 22 turnovers. Morrow, while a very talented player is 159-365 (.436%) and 19-90 (.211%) from 3pt land (abysmal!) and she has 42 turnovers (on the plus side she has 43 steals!).

Like I said, Doug better find more balance for his team or it will be a long year from their perspective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom