Crazy Stat from Creighton / SDSU | The Boneyard

Crazy Stat from Creighton / SDSU

Reaction Score
There were only 22 fouls called that game - the fewest number for any game in the entire tournament. Neither team was in the bonus at any point. For a game that was basically rugby that's incredible.

Reaction Score
I think it was the Field of 68 guys that were saying there was a stretch in that game that was just like, the ugliest basketball. Refs didn’t call a thing and the teams were just bouncing off of eachother for a good 3 mins.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it was very rugby-like. There was a lot of hard fighting for rebounds but nothing obviously foul-worthy. They (correctly) called a very soft touch foul that put SDSU at the line to win. The game was just ugly from a shooting standpoint.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There was a stretch early in the second half where each team had layup opportunities and a pretty solid collision occurred with no call (I believe twice on SDSU attempts, once on a Creighton attempt). While I am not a fan of the game getting excessively physical, I have no problem with letting plays like those go as long as there is consistency throughout the game.

While there was sufficient contact (viewing it outside of the context of this specific game) to warrant a foul call on the last shot, there had to be at least a dozen earlier shots that had more contact from the defender than that one.

Reaction Score
There were only 22 fouls called that game - the fewest number for any game in the entire tournament. Neither team was in the bonus at any point. For a game that was basically rugby that's incredible.
It was a rugby game, because there were only 22 fouls called.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I didn't want Creighton to win because I don't want to see another conference opponent at this point in the season, but as I watched the game I got less worried. You wondered for a while if anyone would score again.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It’s also crazy how stark the difference is in reffing in the tournament this year in terms of calling fouls. I don’t recall them ever allowing this much physicality and this many fouls, frankly. I’m not mad at it because it definitely helps us. Our worst stretch was when we were getting non stop fouls called on us during Big East play ( you High Knees). But it also allows for these brutal-to-watch SDSU games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SDSU did a good job of keeping the contact on the fringe of obvious foul calls. When Providence does it, it is obvious because they are just grabbing opposing players. That is why it only works for PC at home.

SDSU was bumping and hand-checking, but wasn't doing anything stupid to force a lot of foul calls. I don't like that style and I do not agree with how the refs officiated the game, but I will give SDSU and its staff credit for playing a highly disciplined style that got them into the Final Four. A lesser team would have had 25+ fouls and Creighton would have won by 10+.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And the game was pretty much decided on an iffy foul call when fouls were barely called all game. Ironic.
It was only iffy if you want refs to swallow a whistle on obvious fouls. And I was rooting for Creighton. That was a foul. And it wasnt ticky tack.

Reaction Score
It was only iffy if you want refs to swallow a whistle on obvious fouls. And I was rooting for Creighton. That was a foul. And it wasnt ticky tack.
I could only read captions at the bar I was at, but someone on the broadcast put it nicely “you would be penalizing the offensive player by not calling the foul there”. It was clear as day, hand on hip/waist, altering his trajectory in the air.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom