Courtney Williams Profile... Good Read | The Boneyard

Courtney Williams Profile... Good Read

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
1569262104437.png

Reaction Score
OMG, I must have been looking at the date in the first line of the article!!!! :oops: :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just getting to read the article. Some nice references of Geno commenting on Courtney.

In college, she introduced herself in person to fans in Connecticut who would soon be cheering for her on the Sun. Playing for USF, she was in the AAC Conference with UConn, and torched one the most dominant basketball dynasties of all time. Only Notre Dame’s Skylar Diggins and Louisville’s Angel McCoughtry, both legends, recorded as many 20-point games against the Huskies in their careers. Williams also helped propel USF to just their second NCAA tournament appearance during her freshman year, then took the Bulls back to the tournament as a junior and senior.
and Geno as scout.

Phoenix lost sight of her potential. Luckily, someone else didn’t. Williams made such an impression on Auriemma in college that he lobbied the Sun behind the scenes to take a chance on her. He felt that perhaps the Mercury drafted Williams thinking that she was a point guard. Auriemma saw her as someone who simply went out and got points. “I said, [to Miller], ‘If that’s what you need her for, to go get the ball and go score, then she’s going to do that. There’s nobody that I know that can stop her from doing that.’”

“She was able to catch and shoot quickly, she was able to catch and go by you,” says Geno Auriemma, head coach of UConn women’s basketball. “She could hit pull-ups, she could hit threes, go right or go left. She was just a really difficult match up for anybody and I don’t think there’s anybody in college who really had an answer for her on a regular basis.”

And an image says a thousand words.

1569428718627.png

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Over the past couple years, but especially this year, Courtney has developed a distinctive style and "brand" that I think is very marketable. I hope the Sun can retain her and and that she successfully monetizes that brand. It would prove that it can be done from Uncasville. Its all about winning.

1569431171972.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Over the past couple years, but especially this year, Courtney has developed a distinctive style and "brand" that I think is very marketable. I hope the Sun can retain her and and that she successfully monetizes that brand. It would prove that it can be done from Uncasville. Its all about winning.

View attachment 46637
I'm really thrilled to see her flourish at Connecticut. I vividly remember watching her burst onto the scene with her signature mid-range jumper as a sophomore at USF, when she averaged something like 16 ppg and was named Honorable Mention All-American. The national media seemed almost oblivious to her—playing on a team that was primarily known for playing second fiddle to UConn in the AAC—until her senior year, when she was finally named a WBCA first-teamer. Until then, the more famous Courtney Williams was a Texas A&M player who was highly regarded at one time but ended up going undrafted.

This kid is magic in interviews. The swagger and joy just pop off her, and you can tell her teammates love her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom