Courant article about 24/25 roster | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Courant article about 24/25 roster

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have wondered if Coach might like him in his exact role.

Guys can definitely improve, and Hass has, but it’s also true that uptick in responsibility doesn’t always translate perfectly.

He may just be the perfect 6th man. His best qualities are the ones that make a great backup PG/6th man.

I think it was pretty clear.

I don’t think 32 minutes and the starting guard spot is what Hurley is thinking about - Hassan was terrific in that sixth man/20 min role this past year and I imagine that’s what their plan for him would entail.

Reaction Score
Just my 2 cents, but PG and 6th man are two very different jobs. It's a luxury in college, but pro 6th men tend to be high level combo guards who can score, defend, and run the show through multiple backcourt and wing rotations. Guys like Jamal Crawford and Lou Williams were some of the best players on their teams but they didn't start because they were so successful running their squads coming off the bench. It's not a question of "who's better" but what is best for the team (balance and chemistry).
This past season Hass came in to spell Castle in our first rotation which shifted TN and Cam to the 2 and 3 depending on the specific matchup. He however wasn't the primary ball handler when either TN or Castle (later in the season) were on the floor. In my personal opinion, Diarra is not a true point but a really good combo guard and an excellent 6th man. I hope he keeps that role with increased minutes next year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
With Diarra's strength, speed and length I am 100% confident he can lock up almost every guard who is 6'5" or under. There may be a few here or there at that size who will give Diarra trouble, but not many.
There was not much of a drop off when Stephon got in foul trouble and Hassan came in and took his place.

The difference between the two was Stephon could handle taller players better on switch offs. He could guard 1-4 more effectively. But even in this situation Hassan was a pest and didn’t back down.

Reaction Score
I’m comfortable with Hass taking point as long as he has one or two other experienced taller guards on either side. He played great this year with a huge improvement over last. If continues to improve, he’s definitely starting material and he knows the offense through and through.

Reaction Score
I know its only Tuesday, but it has been very quiet around news of returning players and next year's roster. I know coaches are working and players have much to consider. Any word on when we can expect any announcements?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I know its only Tuesday, but it has been very quiet around news of returning players and next year's roster. I know coaches are working and players have much to consider. Any word on when we can expect any announcements?
Cam’s announcement was middle of May. Lot of announcements of transfers last year came in June.

Reaction Score
Cam’s announcement was middle of May. Lot of announcements of transfers last year came in June.
I would expect anyone thinking of leaving to be in the portal sooner rather than later. No news is good news IMO.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I would expect anyone thinking of leaving to be in the portal sooner rather than later. No news is good news IMO.
Agree. Was responding to incoming. Hurley gave players a week off. I imagine he’s having conversations with them this week. I’d like it if everyone returns. That in itself is a very positive statement.

Reaction Score
I think it's very possible Diarra continues to improve and will take over the starting role. I don't think we should put limitations on our players or our coaching staff's ability to coach them up.

Besides starting is overrated, who plays during crunch time is more important and there were several games this year when Hass was on the court during crunch time.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I suspect this mindset is a key reason why:
View attachment 99640
Cleary Hurley and staff isn't being seduced by the splashy portal transfer or recruit. He squarely focused on his job which is putting together a functional team that can succeeded at the highest levels.
This is the key to our recent success. Roster construction. A team that is more than the sum of its parts, and which has good parts, will beat a team that is less than the sum of its parts, even if those parts are better.

The portal season is fun in part to see who the staff has identified, even if they are guys we didn't have on our radar at all. Guys like Newton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it was pretty clear.

I don’t think 32 minutes and the starting guard spot is what Hurley is thinking about - Hassan was terrific in that sixth man/20 min role this past year and I imagine that’s what their plan for him would entail.
Even if he starts, I'd envision an almost 50-50 split with Nowell. We're going to want some size at the 2-3.

Reaction Score
The portal entrance closes in 2 weeks for non-graduates. So for the non-Diarra's on the team, that'll be the latest any of them can enter. The NBA combine is 2 weeks after that, which will likely be the important timeframe for Karaban.

Reaction Score
I wonder how often Castle and Diarra went at it vs each other at practice. Probably a lot?
I have friend that owns 2 guard dog huskies. They are the sweetest and friendliest dogs until she says the code word and then they turn vicious and nasty with their ears straight up and their teeth showing in a menacing fashion. That's probably what Castle vs Diarra was like in practice with the on the ball defensive pressure.

Reaction Score
I think it's very possible Diarra continues to improve and will take over the starting role. I don't think we should put limitations on our players or our coaching staff's ability to coach them up.

Besides starting is overrated, who plays during crunch time is more important and there were several games this year when Hass was on the court during crunch time.
That's what I have been saying with my posts as well. The lineups the coaches will have will have more to do with fit and complimenting skill sets. Hass will get 23-25 minutes. He average 20 minutes a game this year.

Reaction Score
Diarra definitely starts at the beginning of the season. With how complex our offense is Diarra and Karaban are going to be huge early on. Cam and Tristen were huge parts to making our elaborate offensive schemes work. Those same schemes ran by newbies and a freshman pg might look ugly to start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom