Could we stop the begging please? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could we stop the begging please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CTFootball said it all.
And as for all the girlfriend analogies (playing hard to get vs showing interest) I remember talking at my 25th reunion to a girl I had liked back in school and had wanted to date, but thought she was already attached. To which she replied, "Damn, I wish you would have let me know you were interested"!!
I say to Susan Herbst---You Go Girl!!! Tell 'em and then tell 'em again. In survival mode I'll take reasoned, logic driven advocacy from a persistent intelligent voice over a more demur "hey they know who we are" approach anytime.

Reaction Score
What I think needs to be done at this point, is that the big east football schools, including TCU and one more invite, that they need to decide on and get on board ASAP - yesterday, (i think the only logical choice is Temple) all 8 get together and agree that everybody is looking out for their best interests for a period of time while Big East members, say 12 months or whatever, and after that, if they've not reached a deal to go elsewhere - they all sign a major binding agreement to stay together long term.

Seriously, the idea that Marinatto wanted all the schools to pledge their allegiance to each other after Cuse and Pitt left in the middle of the night? And the history of the conference?

I read an article somewhere recently that compared it to Chamberlain setting up a meeting to get Hitler's promise to end Germany's imperial plans after the occupation of the Sudetenland in the 1930s.

Idiotic, and no value whatsoever. I'm glad we didn't show up to the table and lie about our intentions.

The all sports colleges, have got to get things done and solidfied eventually - if they're not leaving, and it's got to be done independant from the basketball schools. They can then all focus on recruiting and winnign games, and when the conference broadcasting rights are up for sale at the end of 2013, let things shake out.

If the control of the BCS bid, and decision making and power in the conference can clearly reside with the all sprots schools, things would be ok, and have potential to get a lot better.

In that case, there's absolutely no reason to stick with teh basketball schools after 2013, besides pure market value.

If those 8 schools are so valueable, as has been portrayed, the proof will come at the end of 2013 when the market opens up and the current contracts for broadcasting expire.

The NCAA men's b-ball tournament is where the value and money in college basketball really resides, not in regular season broadcasting. If the big east were to have had a few years with very few teams qualifying for the tourney, things would look a lot different than they do now.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Jnyce, who were you more likely to date, the girl with poise and pride or the one chasing after you? The fact is that at the moment the ACC is not interested in expanding to 16 for us and RU. ND ain't going and if they do it's no lock that we get the last seat at the table. So, let's focus on making the BE and B12 marriage of convenience happen. At this point it's our best hope. Whining and pleading just makes us look and appear weak and not confident in the UConn brand.

I'm lazy so I took on all comers actually.

I look at it more as like a company I'm working for is competitive, fairly easy to get to the top. But at the same time doesn't take care of it's employees the way it should and as a result lose them to their compitition.

We can stay at a company who will one day lose it's health benefits, 401k plan and pension, or we could update our resume, swallow our pride and try and secure our future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
That's an odd statement to cap off what is a generally bizarre thread. The Big East is a moribund conference. UConn's administration is trying to get UConn in a conference that is not in immediate danger of losing its AQ status in football, has two crown jewels of basketaball, is adding Pitt and Syracuse, already has another natural rival in BC, is far cleaner than the SEC, proactively took steps to keep from getting raided themselves when they looked ripe for it, and is pretty damn solid academically. How on earth is the ACC in particular everything that is wrong with college athletics.

Pride cometh before the fall. Anyone suggesting UConn shouldn't be doing everything it can to join one of the conferences that will still be standing in a meaningful way when all is said and done is delusional.

So your logic is raid someone else before they raid you? That's a good thing? The ACC has twice raided the Big East in a machiavellian manner that is probably tortious interference. Isn't that wrong?

We're talking about college athletics not Fortune 500 companies. You have 7 schools scratching their heads, trying to figure out what to do next and the ACC commissioner is sipping a martini and laughing. That's not wrong?

UConn, my alma mater, prostrating themselves to get in the ACC and they say "I'm not sure you are worthy of being an ACC man". C'mon man, are you serious? Step back and take a look at the behavior of the ACC, it's detestable.

tortious interference noun encouraging a breach, infringing on another's agreement, interfering with contract, interfering with contractual commitments, interfering with contractual obligation, interferrng with contractual rights, intermeddling, intermeddling with business activities, obstruction, work against anothers contractual relationship, wrongful interference with business relationships, wrongful interference with contractual relationships
Here's a few comments from others that show the ACC lack's integrity.

After the 2003 raid and subsequent Big East lawsuit filing; "Fraud is not too strong a word to describe what has happened here," Blumenthal said. "This lawsuit reveals a back-room conspiracy, born in secret, founded on greed, and carried out through calculated deceit."

From sports reporter Dennis Dodd more recently "Swofford is a supposedly honorable person and well-respected, but at least in prison, you kind of know danger lurks around every corner. In this ruthless college land grab, the guy you shake hands with today could be burning your home to the ground tomorrow.
Swofford actually spoke these words to CBSSports.com in August: "We need to restore confidence and integrity into the collegiate model and that can only be done if and when we as leaders work together in a constructive manner."
No one worked together on this one except Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which slipped out of the Big East like the Baltimore Colts on the way to Indianapolis -- in a furtive and gutless manner. "

Regarding your allegation that the ACC is far cleaner than the SEC, try again; Georgia Tech, UNC and Miami are all under NCAA investigation. Research for yourself.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...07/georgia-tech-football-ncaa-investigation/1
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/20/1503045/a-timeline-of-the-ncaa-investigation.html
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/miami_ncaa_investigation_8_pla.html

I repeat, the ACC is everything that is wrong with college athletics.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Are you not disgusted with UConn's NCAA infractions? Have you not been appalled all these years that UConn helped facilitate a raid on C-USA, leaving schools scratching their heads on what to do next, while we sipped martinis enjoying our basketball dominance?

The ACC is no better, no worse. Let's debate right and wrong after our seat at the table is secured.

Reaction Score
Are you not disgusted with UConn's NCAA infractions? Have you not been appalled all these years that UConn helped facilitate a raid on C-USA, leaving schools scratching their heads on what to do next, while we sipped martinis enjoying our basketball dominance?

The ACC is no better, no worse. Let's debate right and wrong after our seat at the table is secured.

The Big East acted above board not in back rooms in secret. I don't have a problem with schools changing leagues, just do it above board. What Syracuse and Pitt did was not out in the open.

Off course I don't like UConn breaking the rules. I was simply pointing out that the ACC was not some polly pure league.
Sorry to disagree but IMO the ACC is much worse.

Reaction Score
So your logic is raid someone else before they raid you? That's a good thing? The ACC has twice raided the Big East in a machiavellian manner that is probably tortious interference. Isn't that wrong?

We're talking about college athletics not Fortune 500 companies. You have 7 schools scratching their heads, trying to figure out what to do next and the ACC commissioner is sipping a martini and laughing. That's not wrong?

UConn, my alma mater, prostrating themselves to get in the ACC and they say "I'm not sure you are worthy of being an ACC man". C'mon man, are you serious? Step back and take a look at the behavior of the ACC, it's detestable.

tortious interference noun encouraging a breach, infringing on another's agreement, interfering with contract, interfering with contractual commitments, interfering with contractual obligation, interferrng with contractual rights, intermeddling, intermeddling with business activities, obstruction, work against anothers contractual relationship, wrongful interference with business relationships, wrongful interference with contractual relationships
Here's a few comments from others that show the ACC lack's integrity.

After the 2003 raid and subsequent Big East lawsuit filing; "Fraud is not too strong a word to describe what has happened here," Blumenthal said. "This lawsuit reveals a back-room conspiracy, born in secret, founded on greed, and carried out through calculated deceit."

From sports reporter Dennis Dodd more recently "Swofford is a supposedly honorable person and well-respected, but at least in prison, you kind of know danger lurks around every corner. In this ruthless college land grab, the guy you shake hands with today could be burning your home to the ground tomorrow.
Swofford actually spoke these words to CBSSports.com in August: "We need to restore confidence and integrity into the collegiate model and that can only be done if and when we as leaders work together in a constructive manner."
No one worked together on this one except Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which slipped out of the Big East like the Baltimore Colts on the way to Indianapolis -- in a furtive and gutless manner. "

Regarding your allegation that the ACC is far cleaner than the SEC, try again; Georgia Tech, UNC and Miami are all under NCAA investigation. Research for yourself.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...07/georgia-tech-football-ncaa-investigation/1
http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/20/1503045/a-timeline-of-the-ncaa-investigation.html
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/miami_ncaa_investigation_8_pla.html

I repeat, the ACC is everything that is wrong with college athletics.

I have seen little that seriously allows one to argue tortious interference. Pitt and Syracuse both have the right to leave the Big East with 27 months notice. Both they and the ACC have said that if the Big EAst wants to enforce the 27 months notice, fine. Maybe there are other facts there, but we don't know of them.

The closest thing to a basis for a suit I see is if, and it's a big if, Pitt forced everyone to decline the TV contract while in serious negotiations with the ACC without describing why, then you have serious fiduciary issues. Having said that, I think it's likely from all reports that Pitt didn't know it was leaving at that time.

Is it immoral that colleges act this way? Heck yes. Should the feds be stepping in to prevent non-profits that aren't taxed from behaving in as competitive a manner as taxable corporations? You can make this case. But that and $8 will get you over the George Washington Bridge. We need to secure our future.

Reaction Score
$8? Holy crap. With e-zpass I don't even pay attention anymore. I wonder what they're ripping me off for on the garden state parkway.

Reaction Score
So, if Pitt and Cuse leave prior to 27 months, they pay a penalty. What is the penalty? If they leave earlier without the BE agreeing to it, then what?

Reaction Score
So, if Pitt and Cuse leave prior to 27 months, they pay a penalty. What is the penalty? If they leave earlier without the BE agreeing to it, then what?
They have to wear "liar, liar, pants on fire." on the back of their uniforms for a year. Yeah, I'm drinking.

Reaction Score

Then they are in breach, and if the ACC is inducing them to do it you have a tortious interference suit. But that won't happen. That's why Jimmy B is already complaining about not being let out early -- because no one is going to open themselves up for a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Then they are in breach, and if the ACC is inducing them to do it you have a tortious interference suit. But that won't happen. That's why Jimmy B is already complaining about not being let out early -- because no one is going to open themselves up for a multimillion dollar lawsuit.
So what are the damages? How do you show there are damages in dollars by them not performing? They would be replaced on the schedules, thus no damages. But seriously, how do you prove any damages?

Reaction Score
So what are the damages? How do you show there are damages in dollars by them not performing? They would be replaced on the schedules, thus no damages. But seriously, how do you prove any damages?

Depends. I doubt our TV partners have to pay us the same amount of money. Depending on whom you replace them with, you might be able to make a case for lost attendance. Losing prestige -- very difficult.

But the ACC is not, repeat not, going to let them go there so this discussion is moot. You don't know what state law will necessarily apply and the ACC isn't risking punitives or exemplary damages just to get Syracuse and Pitt in one year early. Frankly, they don't need them in one year early.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

What's with the Boeheim picture?

Reaction Score
Depends. I doubt our TV partners have to pay us the same amount of money. Depending on whom you replace them with, you might be able to make a case for lost attendance. Losing prestige -- very difficult.

But the ACC is not, repeat not, going to let them go there so this discussion is moot. You don't know what state law will necessarily apply and the ACC isn't risking punitives or exemplary damages just to get Syracuse and Pitt in one year early. Frankly, they don't need them in one year early.
Thanks

Reaction Score
When damages are hard to quantify, the relief would be by an injunction.

Reaction Score
The groveling isn't working. It's pretty clear where we stand on this. UConn is a known quantity, if they want us, they wan't us. If they don't. Well, you get the picture.
That's pretty much my feeling. I poke around seeing what the latest is, but I can't get myself gnashing my teeth over this. I hope to hell we end up in a BCS conference, but all of the worrying, finger pointing, and so on isn't going to make the BE better or get us into another conference.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think we need to beg harder.

You're right, we shouldn't rebuild bridges with an ACC school. We should continue to turn our noses upward and hope and pray that they realize the overwhelming greatness of the University of Connecticut. It will magically all be ok, just sit around and do nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're right, we shouldn't rebuild bridges with an ACC school. We should continue to turn our noses upward and hope and pray that they realize the overwhelming greatness of the University of Connecticut. It will magically all be ok, just sit around and do nothing.

Again, you continue to fail to comprehend what I am saying despite me having made the same post about 2 dozen times in the last week.

In fact, you are the one proposing we sit around and pray for the phone to ring.

I will say this to you one last time, and if you do not understand it this time, there is no hope for you.

I do not believe the ACC will ever add UConn, but if UConn wants to keep trying to get into the ACC, it must rebuild the Big East. UConn will never get there without a strong Big East.

BYU, TCU (kind of), and Utah got into BCS conferences because the MWC was strong and their programs were strong. Same with Louisville, USF and Cincinnati with CUSA. Crying about the unfairness of life and or that they are screwed is not an effective strategy for athletic programs or in life.

Reaction Score
There's a fine line between begging and reasoning. Reasoning means we get the idiot Governor to shut his trap and let the qualified people work the backchannels.

Public groveling makes us look pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom