Could have been US | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could have been US

xclamations

Windy city
Reaction Score
If you mean with 'muscle man' as the coach, then yes it could have been us

Reaction Score
Guard play and excellent coaching are the most important things in March. We only had one guard who was actually healthy and worthy of playing more than 10 mins a game... Jackson and Martin filling in at the 2 wasn't going to cut it.

Our coach is also consistently outmanuevered by better coaches.

Both are fixable. I expect to see the second weekend next year.

Reaction Score
Certain words that get typed on this board are automatically removed by the profanity filter. Imagine there was a four-letter word just after 'amazing talent and' and the post makes a lot more sense.

Yup...
s
H
I
T

T
H
E

B
E
D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you mean with 'muscle man' as the coach, then yes it could have been us
Perhaps he meant with “music man“ as the coach.

Classic Film Waiting GIF by Turner Classic Movies

“We got trouble, trouble getting the ball in the basket…”

Reaction Score
Guard play and excellent coaching are the most important things in March. We only had one guard who was actually healthy and worthy of playing more than 10 mins a game... Jackson and Martin filling in at the 2 wasn't going to cut it.

Our coach is also consistently outmanuevered by better coaches.

Both are fixable. I expect to see the second weekend next year.
Hurley has been coaching for 25 of his 49 years, over 10 as a Division 1 head coach, how does he now become less outmanuerverable?

Reaction Score
The truth is it couldn't have been us. We haven't been able to finish games for two years. In he last five minutes we miss FTs, commit TOs and cannot defend without fouling.

The only way to fix these faults is to have a team that is very comfortable in the last five minutes. One that is connected, knows what everyone is suppose to do, and communicates well. A go-to player would also help in these situations.

That was NOT this year's team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I always think the 2006 — George Mason 86, UConn 84 (OT), NCAA Tournament East Regional final team had amazing talent and the bed
Simply an error in not calling timeout and telling Adrien to take over the game.

He'd have done it for that one game, and the team could have reset itself and prepared in the following days for the Final Four. Not sure what would have happened then, but I'd have liked our chances.

That's my preferred woulda shoulda coulda. I never tire of it.

Reaction Score
Bingo.
Defense lost the game. Last night Duke started 2 freshman, 2 Sophomores and a junior and switched from a man to man to a zone in the second half throwing TTech out of rhythm and then went back to man. It helps to be able to play more than one defense. Coaching.

Reaction Score
Is it me or does Arkansas end every game with a dunk with the game already in hand? Noticed that last night again- not too classy if you ask me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The truth is it couldn't have been us. We haven't been able to finish games for two years. In he last five minutes we miss FTs, commit TOs and cannot defend without fouling.

The only way to fix these faults is to have a team that is very comfortable in the last five minutes. One that is connected, knows what everyone is suppose to do, and communicates well. A go-to player would also help in these situations.

It remains the number one unsurmounted challenge for our head coach, who each year adds new things to address in a constantly changing landscape. None of this is surprising.

I'm interested next in roster construction, but closeouts will ALWAYS be the key to winning 6 consecutive games against increasingly escalating competition.

I winced when ill-advised, poorly-selected, hurried, and even self-forced shots became a 'feature' in late game situations, as well seemingly needless fouls.

Protecting the ball, shutting down opponent scoring, and making free throws are eternal needs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley has been coaching for 25 of his 49 years, over 10 as a Division 1 head coach, how does he now become less outmanuerverable?

D1 and hs are totally different animals. High-major D1 and the A10 are totally different animals. Experience counts... but only if he has an open mind.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Certain words that get typed on this board are automatically removed by the profanity filter. Imagine there was a four-letter word just after 'amazing talent and' and the post makes a lot more sense.
1648223785287.png

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ahhh we had catch and shoot guys - lots in fact - Polley, Martin, Hawkins, and even Akok. But Cole was the only one that could create a shot.

THAT was the weakness. And you need to move the ball and stellar coaching to fix that.
I guess Hurley was missing all those wide open shots. And did you see Hurley defending Sanogo in the paint? He was awesome, too bad he was locking down the wrong team. I suppose Hurley's coaching made us miss wide open layups.

And I concur, he should have been running more plays for Hawkins in the post season, that would have helped.

Seriously, in what universe do we have shooters and scorers? Certainly not in mine. We're never going to see eye to eye on this one.

Reaction Score
I guess Hurley was missing all those wide open shots. And did you see Hurley defending Sanogo in the paint? He was awesome, too bad he was locking down the wrong team. I suppose Hurley's coaching made us miss wide open layups.

And I concur, he should have been running more plays for Hawkins in the post season, that would have helped.

Seriously, in what universe do we have shooters and scorers? Certainly not in mine. We're never going to see eye to eye on this one.

Would you say St. Peter’s has significantly better personnel than us? How about Miami, Iowa State, UNC? Did we have enough talent to win in the first round?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Would you say St. Peter’s has significantly better personnel than us? How about Miami, Iowa State, UNC? Did we have enough talent to win in the first round?

Why doesn't anyone compare us to one of the teams that underachieved? That's the beauty of sports, that's why we play the games, because "it" happens

It's fun to watch a St Peter's become the first 15 seed to reach the Elite Eight. That's what happens in a one and done tournament. Best of 7? You won't see so many upsets

Reaction Score
Ray Allen's 1995 team may have been the most talented UConn team ever and didn't win. The wrong matchups or one off game is all it takes to get bounced.
Yep... Just ask Houston, St Pete's and Miami

Reaction Score

Somehow our team members playing on the floor have to learn how to "expect the right pass" at all times.... How many times over the last two years were passes made inside that the receiving player had absolutely no clue that a pass was coming and flubbed it?

Not sure that skill is "coachable", but IMO is it a MUST for a winning team. I played enough to know that inside players know when they are open and both players have to see the pass opportunity before it happens...it is a chemistry that is developed in both practice and game situations.

Reaction Score
Ray Allen's 1995 team may have been the most talented UConn team ever and didn't win. The wrong matchups or one off game is all it takes to get bounced.
Agreed but neither of those reasons got us bounced this year.

Reaction Score
Great guards matter and reliable make your own space 3 point shooters matter. We had neither. We aren’t constructed that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom