Cooper Flagg Thread V3 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg Thread V3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel like it's not that crazy of a statement. Coaches usually have a pretty good idea of how a visit went once it ends, even if the kid doesn't just outright say who their favorite coach or school is
Could be I guess. Which means someone on the staff told someone that. I wonder which coach.

Reaction Score
Both together. The assumption was always that Duke leads but how would anyone know that the visit went well but Duke still leads? Did he leave campus and tell the UConn coaches, "Thanks for everything. That was a good visit but Duke is still my favorite. You didn't do enough to change my mind."?

I’m just sharing what my source is telling me. I can’t reveal my source since he reads the BY but let’s just say he’s on the bench for every game ;) recruits are often honest with coaching staffs on where they are in their recruitment. I don’t have direct quotes from Cooper but the staff thinks the visit went well. It seems to be a strong general consensus that Duke is the favorite but I’m sure Cooper has not outright said that. Coaches, recruiting analysts, boosters, etc. are just sometimes able to get a read of where a recruit’s head is.

Reaction Score
I’m just sharing what my source is telling me. I can’t reveal my source since he reads the BY but let’s just say he’s on the bench for every game ;) recruits are often honest with coaching staffs on where they are in their recruitment. I don’t have direct quotes from Cooper but the staff thinks the visit went well. It seems to be a strong general consensus that Duke is the favorite but I’m sure Cooper has not outright said that. Coaches, recruiting analysts, boosters, etc. are just sometimes able to get a read of where a recruit’s head is.

Thanks for info. Much appreciated

Reaction Score
I can’t reveal my source since he reads the BY but let’s just say he’s on the bench for every game ;)
Starting with Hurley, and moving down the bench, is he 1st, 2nd, 3rd….?

;)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If you know he reads the board, won’t he see you repeating what he said?

Reaction Score
That dude hates his current job and the basketball people he has to work with to do it so much. The positive quote is from his high school coach, if you don’t want to waste time clicking through.

Reaction Score
That dude hates his current job and the basketball people he has to work with to do it so much. The positive quote is from his high school coach, if you don’t want to waste time clicking through.
Borges hates his job?

Reaction Score
Quite sure he had a positive, stellar, upbeat and thrilling visit. He will also have those types of visits at Duke and Kansas when they roll out their red carpets. The fact remains that this is a contest between blue bloods and we are going to have no shortage of talent available to be able to stand at the top of that blue blood pyramid whether he comes here or not. Getting him ain’t a surefire lock for a championship. Our last 3 National titles have been won with how many 5 stars?

Reaction Score
Quite sure he had a positive, stellar, upbeat and thrilling visit. He will also have those types of visits at Duke and Kansas when they roll out their red carpets. The fact remains that this is a contest between blue bloods and we are going to have no shortage of talent available to be able to stand at the top of that blue blood pyramid whether he comes here or not. Getting him ain’t a surefire lock for a championship. Our last 3 National titles have been won with how many 5 stars?
Great point. History proves that a team comprised with 3 and 4 star players who stay multiple seasons typically win championships at a greater rate than teams with 5 star one and done players. I think a one and done player can be a fit with those other pieces a la Carmelo Anthony. But if you have a bunch of guys playing just to enhance their draft stock at the expense of team ball, it’s no bueno.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That would be singular...
Kemba.
Pretty amazing stat.
Many title teams don't have any or have just one (or two if they are not freshmen). KU had zero, Baylor zero, UVA 1, Nova 2, UNC 2. Both UNC and Nova had 5 stars who stayed. Brunson was at Nova for three years. 2014-15 Duke was the last champion with lots of 5* freshmen.

A group of freshmen one and dones is a losing model. Just because Michigan did it, doesn't mean it works well. Kentucky has struggled with it. Scheyer at Duke announced he is moving away from having too many one and done guys. Experience wins over talent in college basketball (experienced talent being best of all of course, as we showed last year).

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If I'm Cooper Flagg and my goal is to be a one and done positioned to become an NBA star as soon as possible, then I'd be basing my college decision on:

1. Fit within the offensive system of the team
2. Fit within the roster make up of the team, including who has guards that can get me the ball in the best position to score lots of points
3. Fit within the defensive structure of the team
4. Relationship with the coaches
5. Confidence that the staff will push me to be the best I can be at both ends of the floor with specific basketball teaching acumen
6. Confidence I will be pushed to increase my work ethic and daily habits
7. Ensure I get support from the entire AD to further my personal career management skills...

I left out NIL assuming it won't be a big driver because his first NBA contract will be astronomical and he should focus on basketball while in college rather than chasing marketing deals, but I could be wrong and perhaps he is already going to focus on this with an entourage around him in his last prep season. I hope he met up with MD and others on Saturday for this purpose either way. If NIL is a big deal to him, then Duke would be the best leverage of his final 3 schools.

I also left out where I'd feel the best in terms of feeling at home/the family feel because as a one and doner/expected top pick overall it is really just a 9 month stay.

Just my 2 cents at the end of a long day.
One more thing to add. It might be important to him, in his one year in school, to get himself the best chance at a national championship. Now, all three finalists are competitive in that regard, but particularly after last year I think we lead that discussion.

Reaction Score
He will be millionaire from endorsements before he plays a college game (if he isn't already) so school collective NIL might not matter too much but if he can squeeze and extra several hundred thousand out of it, why wouldn't he? He is different than anyone we have recruited in this era. Where does Nike want him to go to school? Edge could go to Duke there. The amount of attention Zion got in college was massive for his marketing.
We are defending national champion, and Fox will push him like hell if he comes here. I can't see the amount of attention he would get at one of these schools as opposed to the others mattering much (even though sure, there would be some additional exposure at Duke).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think 2014 was the first team to do so without any.

2011 had Kemba and Alex.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I haven't read much of the previous two threads. I waded in and out of the last one super fast, so forgive me if this has been discussed prior.

Cooper Flagg has already entered larger than life brand status. We can discuss later if he comes here whether that's a good or bad thing for the program.

I think UConn is uniquely advantaged to support someone of that status.

• The Demelio factor
    • We have dedicated funding AND mentorship for someone in the public eye on how to grow their social presence.
  • We have excellent content coverage behind the scenes of the program. I'm sure someone showed Flagg the UConn+ coverage of the title run last year. Imagine what that kind of media could do for Flagg.
  • Paige. I know there are ears ringing as soon as I type this for the "keep the womens game on the womens board" crowd, but we have an on campus example of how we support a mega star / brand in the game which ties to the Demelio Factor above.

I think that's a competitive advantage. I have no idea what kind of equivalents they have at Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom