Cooley's Advice for Kolek | The Boneyard

Cooley's Advice for Kolek

Reaction Score
Interesting story re: Kolek and not getting offered by Providence (or URI) out of HS, despite being an in-state recruit.

For reference, Kolek was offered by ~ two dozen schools, all East Coast mid-majors.

No URI offer, but St. Bonaventure and Richmond offered (committed to George Mason).

caw

Reaction Score
Interesting story re: Kolek and not getting offered by Providence (or URI) out of HS, despite being an in-state recruit.

For reference, Kolek was offered by ~ two dozen schools, all East Coast mid-majors.

No URI offer, but St. Bonaventure and Richmond offered (committed to George Mason).

Well, that's something new for Cooley, reaching out after a kid goes into the portal.

Reaction Score
Cooley is very good at creating bulletin board material for the locker room.

pj

Reaction Score
Funny ... "when you're playing pickup, don't take the ball out of bounds" -- if everyone follows this advice how does the ball get inbounded? ... Odd that a coach would teach kids to be selfish and advise a point guard not to facilitate.

Reaction Score
Funny ... "when you're playing pickup, don't take the ball out of bounds" -- if everyone follows this advice how does the ball get inbounded? ... Odd that a coach would teach kids to be selfish and advise a point guard not to facilitate.

It's a weird comment because no one takes the ball out of bounds when you play pickup. You check it at the top of the key and having a PG do that is a good thing.

In actual basketball, usually the best passer with some height will inbound. Traditionally the PF (Karaban/Andre for us this year).

Has Cooley never played or watched pickup?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kolek broke down at the end of last season, imo. Shaka needs to load manage.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
This is a weird thread on a UConn board.
Great talent, but why do we care what other coaches say about him?

Reaction Score
Yes in half court, different in full court pickup games.
I guess it depends. How often does anyone get to play 5 v 5 full court pick up games though? I imagine certain days in certain places that’s the norm but usually anything less than 5 on 5 you’re not playing full court. At least in my limited experience.

Reaction Score
I guess it depends. How often does anyone get to play 5 v 5 full court pick up games though? I imagine certain days in certain places that’s the norm but usually anything less than 5 on 5 you’re not playing full court. At least in my limited experience.
yes but the context was after a 5 x 5 pick up game

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not unexpected. I saw him as a kid. Astonishing court awareness and overall savvy and skill. Better than the older kids he was playing against. But I didn’t see anything that said high level D1 athleticism. When he was in the portal I wanted UConn to get him but still had doubts he could play at the Big East level.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've never seen anyone inbound the ball during a 5 x 5 full court pick up game.

Who hands the inbounded the ball, the guy managing the shot clock for the pick up game?!

caw

Reaction Score
Nobody hands you the ball. You pick up the ball after a made basket and step out of bounds, the same as what happens in professional basketball games

To be fair I've played both where you have to inbound and where you basically just take the ball the other way after a made basket. Court rules usually.

Reaction Score
I've never seen anyone inbound the ball during a 5 x 5 full court pick up game.

Who hands the inbounded the ball, the guy managing the shot clock for the pick up game?!

My impression is it's 50/50 whether people do or not. Usually better runs with former players I'll see it. If I'm playing with the old farts at the church they usually check to stall and avoid heart attacks.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nobody hands you the ball. You pick up the ball after a made basket and step out of bounds, the same as what happens in professional basketball games

My impression is it's 50/50 whether people do or not. Usually better runs with former players I'll see it. If I'm playing with the old farts at the church they usually check to stall and avoid heart attacks.

Let me call myself out here for a second - I was thinking of inbounds in the sense of a guy calls a foul and there's a sidelines inbounds. Never seen that.

After a made basket I guess someone does grab the board and "inbounds" it, but in my experience it's never been done formally if that makes sense. Grab the made bucket and take a step back and pass it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom