Connecticut: The Gold Standard | The Boneyard

Connecticut: The Gold Standard

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No, this is not tonyC pretending to be someone else. It's just how it strikes me about what 2 of Doug Bruno's players are saying:

"One of the reasons I came here is that we play teams like (Connecticut)," DePaul sophomore guard Kelly Campbell said. "I always wanted to play against them, if I couldn't play for them."

Added teammate Amarah Coleman, a senior guard: "I always dreamed about playing against Connecticut and now that I have the chance I'm going to have fun and go out there and compete."

DePaul has played 3 other teams in their new facility but Bruno considers this game the Grand Opening.

"I schedule them every year because every year the national championship goes through UConn. We played Tennessee for years when most every national championship went through Tennessee.

"If I'm going to ask my players to be fearless, then I have to be fearless (with the schedule)."

Top-ranked UConn will help DePaul women break in new arena Friday night

Reaction Score
Love Doug Bruno. I always remember his response when the Duke coach decided to stop scheduling UCONN due to lack of success (paraphrasing): We've never beaten UCONN, either. And if we stop playing them, we'll NEVER beat them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would not mind the game going like this one:

Gotta love Bruno. he tells it like it is. After this game:

" On[ly] 12 teams out of 330 play these guys (UConn) non-conference, and I'd rather have those guys in the locker room with the guts to play these guys, even if they happen to get absolutely annihilated like we did. I just really, really rather them have the guts to step out on the floor and try it than not try it...There's a lot of teams at this time of year that are really good that are playing some of the bottom of the Division I food chain, so I'd rather our players do what they did and even fail than not. "

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

" On[ly] 12 teams out of 330 play these guys (UConn) non-conference, and I'd rather have those guys in the locker room with the guts to play these guys, even if they happen to get absolutely annihilated like we did. I just really, really rather them have the guts to step out on the floor and try it than not try it...There's a lot of teams at this time of year that are really good that are playing some of the bottom of the Division I food chain, so I'd rather our players do what they did and even fail than not. "

I bet Doug Bruno buried the tape of this game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not ashamed to say I am one of Doug Bruno's biggest fans. I love his style, his personality, his fearlessness, the way his teams play with heart and grit to the very end. I just wish one recruiting year this guy would get a bunch of top recruits. Just once.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm not ashamed to say I am one of Doug Bruno's biggest fans. I love his style, his personality, his fearlessness, the way his teams play with heart and grit to the very end. I just wish one recruiting year this guy would get a bunch of top recruits. Just once.

Playing in their new state of the art stadium and christening it with UConn, that should help. There own players seem to acknowledge that playing elite teams is an attraction but they really need to be competitive against the top teams (UConn is in another class) and take a few down to move up the ladder in attracting top level recruits. I hope it happens. Same with USF who I always associate with DePaul.

Reaction Score
No, this is not tonyC pretending to be someone else. It's just how it strikes me about what 2 of Doug Bruno's players are saying:

"One of the reasons I came here is that we play teams like (Connecticut)," DePaul sophomore guard Kelly Campbell said. "I always wanted to play against them, if I couldn't play for them."

Added teammate Amarah Coleman, a senior guard: "I always dreamed about playing against Connecticut and now that I have the chance I'm going to have fun and go out there and compete."

DePaul has played 3 other teams in their new facility but Bruno considers this game the Grand Opening.

"I schedule them every year because every year the national championship goes through UConn. We played Tennessee for years when most every national championship went through Tennessee.

"If I'm going to ask my players to be fearless, then I have to be fearless (with the schedule)."

Top-ranked UConn will help DePaul women break in new arena Friday night
Dreams can turn into nightmares!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Thanks - I had forgotten about this game. Just beautiful basketball against a not terrible team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Is it any wonder that Geno loves this guy and asked him to be an assistant on the U.S. Olympic team?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is it any wonder that Geno loves this guy and asked him to be an assistant on the U.S. Olympic team?

Well, they both have a similar way of cutting to the chase.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

That was a 35-2 run over 7 minutes.

I love Gabby's save/bounce pass.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Same here. Geno is a great judge of character and Doug is one of Geno's good friends plus was on his coaching staff for seven years with the National Team. That speaks volumes about Doug. Plus as I've said in another thread, he's fun to watch, and his teams are fun to watch. They play hard and fast.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I know that it’s a highlight package, but wowzers. This was quite a collection of great plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom