Congratulations to the Miss State Fans | The Boneyard

Congratulations to the Miss State Fans

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Congratulations on winning your first national title in any sport. Since State got no-contested, I was pulling for yall to beat Vandy. Hopefully now yall will lay off Coach Mccray for a bit, and enjoy this championship. Now the only two Power 5 schools without a national title in any sport are Kansas State and VPI.

Reaction Score
Hopefully now yall will lay off Coach Mccray for a bit,
3vKJqc7.gif

Reaction Score
Congratulations on winning your first national title in any sport. Since State got no-contested, I was pulling for yall to beat Vandy. Hopefully now yall will lay off Coach Mccray for a bit, and enjoy this championship. Now the only two Power 5 schools without a national title in any sport are Kansas State and VPI.
Thanks triaddukefan.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
It can be hard to just take the W. I get that.

Ha

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked about this. But Vic's 2 runner-up teams were my favorite 2 Lady Bulldog teams of all time, and especially that 2nd one I traveled to hell and back for as far as to Vegas. That was like my favorite team of any sport of all-time up there with those Bad Boys Pistons teams and Jordan's last 3 Bulls teams. So obviously there's a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from not capturing a title in that 2 year stretch.

This Bulldog baseball team? It might make my Top 10, but I didn't get the kind of high from them the whole year as I did with 1984, 1985, 1989, 2016, or 2018 teams. Maybe not even 1998, 2013 and 2019 which were teams that could be argued as better too.

I felt like we could've won a title this year given our path was more favorable, Arkansas was knocked out, and we had Omaha experience, and there was no all-time great team, but obviously there were plenty of close calls and plenty of times when we didn't look we were gonna finish it. The mental greatness of this team is special tho, since they didn't crumble under the pressure and they did improve throughout the course of the year and peaked in the last 3 weeks. So.... that's definitely good.

Anyways, I'm sure nobody will have anything to say about this win. We dominated. We left no doubt who the best baseball team was. Hail State.

Reaction Score
We should've beaten Notre Dame. Would've been 2 if it weren't for Dee Kanter.
Let's not go there. We had our chances and blew a huge lead. Arike made a shot for the ages. I too was devastated initially but it came down to some crucial mistakes and great plays by ND.

I'm celebrating and I don't care for baseball nearly as much as football or basketball. We were long overdue. I've had to watch SEC programs like Alabama football, Kentucky basketball, LSU and Vanderbilt baseball, and also the LVs and SC win titles while our men and women couldn't compete with those programs most years.

I watched from home, wearing Maroon with my cowbell next to me. Several coworkers and friends here in Georgia were pulling for MSU last night because we've never won a title in any sport. That was a big part of my 2018 disappointment, I wasn't sure we would have many chances in my lifetime to win something.

Hail State!! I'll be smiling for the next few days. However, I will stay on NMP if there isn't vast improvement this year.

Reaction Score
Now the only two Power 5 schools without a national title in any sport are Kansas State and VPI.
I really didn't know who was in the group until this latest run. Ole Miss just got off that list this spring when their women's golf team won the NC. I've never watched a golf match in my life and while that team likely gets little support it's still a great accomplishment for them.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I was definitely rooting for Miss State last night. First, because it’s their first team title in any sport. Second, Miss State is a great baseball program and was long overdue. Lastly, I really dislike Vanderbilt baseball… for various reasons that if you’re a college baseball fan you probably already know why. I can pretty much guarantee you most SEC baseball fans were rooting for State last night.

Congrats Dawg fans. Hail State.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ha

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked about this. But Vic's 2 runner-up teams were my favorite 2 Lady Bulldog teams of all time, and especially that 2nd one I traveled to hell and back for as far as to Vegas. That was like my favorite team of any sport of all-time up there with those Bad Boys Pistons teams and Jordan's last 3 Bulls teams. So obviously there's a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from not capturing a title in that 2 year stretch.

This Bulldog baseball team? It might make my Top 10, but I didn't get the kind of high from them the whole year as I did with 1984, 1985, 1989, 2016, or 2018 teams. Maybe not even 1998, 2013 and 2019 which were teams that could be argued as better too.

I felt like we could've won a title this year given our path was more favorable, Arkansas was knocked out, and we had Omaha experience, and there was no all-time great team, but obviously there were plenty of close calls and plenty of times when we didn't look we were gonna finish it. The mental greatness of this team is special tho, since they didn't crumble under the pressure and they did improve throughout the course of the year and peaked in the last 3 weeks. So.... that's definitely good.

Anyways, I'm sure nobody will have anything to say about this win. We dominated. We left no doubt who the best baseball team was. Hail State.

There is a doubt though.... NC State was playing the best and many thought they were the favorites, but alas... Covid struck. I really wanted to see a All Land Grant championship series. :(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I really didn't know who was in the group until this latest run. Ole Miss just got off that list this spring when their women's golf team won the NC. I've never watched a golf match in my life and while that team likely gets little support it's still a great accomplishment for them.

Actually the list doesn't count golf.... its just football, baseball, and men's and women's baseball. Ole Miss apparently won some national titles in football... way way back in history.

Reaction Score
Actually the list doesn't count golf.... its just football, baseball, and men's and women's baseball. Ole Miss apparently won some national titles in football... way way back in history.
I think it was 1959, Bobby Franklin days, NC was decided after Bowl games and Ole Miss defeated LSU, only team to beat them during season, Billy Cannon miracle run,.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
There is a doubt though.... NC State was playing the best and many thought they were the favorites, but alas... Covid struck. I really wanted to see a All Land Grant championship series. :(

If we ran Kumar Rocker off the field and won 9-0 in a game he pitched, we could take NcState. Tho I admit they were playing their best ball and down the stretch was a better team than Vanderbilt. We wouldn't win by the margins we won by, but I still think we would've beaten NcState.

But most of Wolfpack Nation didn't ask to share the title, so..... and yes they were royally screwed by the NCAA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If we ran Kumar Rocker off the field and won 9-0 in a game he pitched, we could take NcState. Tho I admit they were playing their best ball and down the stretch was a better team than Vanderbilt. We wouldn't win by the margins we won by, but I still think we would've beaten NcState.

But most of Wolfpack Nation didn't ask to share the title, so..... and yes they were royally screwed by the NCAA.

Vanderbilt doesn't have the caliber of offense that State has. State has pretty good pitching as well. Just wondering, how did yall do vs Arkansas this season?? People were saying they were the team to beat heading into the Post-season.

Reaction Score
I think it was 1959, Bobby Franklin days, NC was decided after Bowl games and Ole Miss defeated LSU, only team to beat them during season, Billy Cannon miracle run,.
I know they claim a few football titles from years back and maybe they have a point. What's the list you are referring to? I would think that there would be more schools excluded than just MSU (until last night), K State and VA Tech if only those sports were referenced.

I'd like to see the list just to be curious. I am thinking that schools like Utah, Washington State, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Rutgers, have never won championships in football, men's or women's basketball, baseball or softball but in all fairness I could be wrong.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know they claim a few football titles from years back and maybe they have a point. What's the list you are referring to? I would think that there would be more schools excluded than just MSU (until last night), K State and VA Tech if only those sports were referenced.

I'd like to see the list just to be curious. I am thinking that schools like Utah, Washington State, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Rutgers, have never won championships in football, men's or women's basketball, baseball or softball but in all fairness I could be wrong.

Utah has one in men's basketball, Wake Forest has one in Baseball, Rutgers has one in Women's basketball. I'm drawing a blank in regards to Iowa State and Washington State. I've never seen a list, but have heard it on radio numerous times, especially in the past few days.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Utah has one in men's basketball, Wake Forest has one in Baseball, Rutgers has one in Women's basketball. I'm drawing a blank in regards to Iowa State and Washington State. I've never seen a list, but have heard it on radio numerous times, especially in the past few days.

Nope Rutgers do not have a women's basketball title. Utah I always thought had some in gymnastics. Wake Forest is good at tennis, lacrosse and those sports that the ACC typically like more than the SEC does... I think. Don't they also have a title with Tim Duncan?

Iowa St according to wiki has wrestling, men's gymnastics, and cross country. Washington State has Indoor Track and Field (1977) and Boxing (1937). Damn.... they're like outlier of the Pac 12. Maybe the Pac 12 might consider switching the Cougs out for Boise State?

Surprised VaTech doesn't have one, since they're a Virginia school. A lot of history in that colonial state, and a wealth of resources... it's like overall a Top 10 U.S. state lol.

Vanderbilt doesn't have the caliber of offense that State has. State has pretty good pitching as well. Just wondering, how did yall do vs Arkansas this season?? People were saying they were the team to beat heading into the Post-season.

We got swept by Arkansas, but in baseball being the #1 team means absolutely nothing. They laid an egg in the postseason and at times didn't help themselves. I dunno how the NcState/MSU series would turn out, but I would definitely say NcState was definitely a Top 2 team at the end of the year.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nope Rutgers do not have a women's basketball title. Utah I always thought had some in gymnastics. Wake Forest is good at tennis, lacrosse and those sports that the ACC typically like more than the SEC does... I think. Don't they also have a title with Tim Duncan?

Iowa St according to wiki has wrestling, men's gymnastics, and cross country. Washington State has Indoor Track and Field (1977) and Boxing (1937). Damn.... they're like outlier of the Pac 12. Maybe the Pac 12 might consider switching the Cougs out for Boise State?

Surprised VaTech doesn't have one, since they're a Virginia school. A lot of history in that colonial state, and a wealth of resources... it's like overall a Top 10 U.S. state lol.

We got swept by Arkansas, but in baseball being the #1 team means absolutely nothing. They laid an egg in the postseason and at times didn't help themselves. I dunno how the NcState/MSU series would turn out, but I would definitely say NcState was definitely a Top 2 team at the end of the year.

Rutgers has a AIAW basketball title... I guess that what they counted. VPI had their chance at the football title in 1999 with Micheal Vick... lost to FSU in the Sugar Bowl. Wake actually isnt good at Lacrosse.... not sure if they even have a team. They are pretty good at Soccer. Duncan won three ACC championships, but never got past the Regional Final.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rutgers has a AIAW basketball title... I guess that what they counted. VPI had their chance at the football title in 1999 with Micheal Vick... lost to FSU in the Sugar Bowl. Wake actually isnt good at Lacrosse.... not sure if they even have a team. They are pretty good at Soccer. Duncan won three ACC championships, but never got past the Regional Final.
Thank you for saving me the post. It isn't an NCAA championship but it does count (that year there were 2 champions). In the over-all, Rutgers NCAA championship is in Fencing - in the "way back" and they no longer have the sport.

Reaction Score
That's cool. What I understood is these were the schools who had never won a team championship in a NCAA recognized sport who are in a Power 5 Conference. Utah has won some ski championships. I assumed Iowa State and Washington State won some smaller sports but was curious where the reference was to just those major sports.

Honestly I would have accepted a title in anything but baseball is sweet give our history and fan support.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

My son went to Wake Forest, so I perused this when he was an undergrad. Wake has won 9 National Team Titles in 5 sports: Men's Golf and Women's Field Hockey lead the way with 3 titles each. The Men's soccer team won in 2007 and is still an ACC and national power.

Wake was a golf powerhouse for years. They had a fellow named Arnold Palmer play for them in the late 1940's. Curtis Strange and Jay Haas won individual NCAA titles in 1974 and 75, respectively.

As for that AIAW, Rutgers beat Texas in Philly that win in 1982...I think it was the last time the AIAW had a tourney. Theresa Grentz coached that team that had Mary and Patty Coyle at guard. They were captained by one Chris Dailey! Mary Coyle Klinger also went into coaching, becoming a top HS coach at Rutgers Prep.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom