'Confidence has risen': Ta'Quan Roberson seizing opportunity as quarterback for UConn football team (Hearst) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

'Confidence has risen': Ta'Quan Roberson seizing opportunity as quarterback for UConn football team (Hearst)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Serviceable with a a few spectacular plays. Is a good description.

Hopefully he learned about securing the ball last game.

It's been a long time since us fans could see a game and at the end of the game definitively say UConn had the better QB. Most of the past 5-6 the gap has been enormous, and I say at least a quarter of those games UConn lost, us fans believed if you swapped QB's UConn would have won. The gap in performance has been that wide for that long.

With Roberson, he's getting almost 200 yards passing and he's better than 2:1 TD:INT. He's at least closed the gap with his passing. I still want him to be more aggressive running (and yes, holding on to the ball with his life).

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I think TR is a great depth QB. On a more competent offense he’s be a terrific backup who always threatens to push the starter if the starter struggles.

He’s been pretty solid and he has shown leadership. I would still like to see ZT get a shot this year to compare for myself, but the coaches must make that comparison every day in practice.

Reaction Score
TR has done a good job not turning the ball over and made some nice passes yesterday - way too many drops!

But that being said, our offense had 77 yards total in the first half.

And TR faded in 2nd half and refuses to run to pick up first downs no matter how critical the first down is to us winning the game.

We are 1-7. We lost to BC, we lost to nearly everyone.

IF TR doesn’t want to run, put it all our there to win the game. By all means give ZT a chance to take some snaps and mix it up.

I think the bar is set so low for the QB position, some are getting a little overexcited about TR.. He’s decent. He will be our starter next year. But he’s not good enough to play every single down no matter how he’s playing IMO.

Reaction Score
TR has done a good job not turning the ball over and made some nice passes yesterday - way too many drops!

And TR faded in 2nd half and refuses to run to pick up first downs no matter how critical the first down is to us winning the game.

IF TR doesn’t want to run, put it all our there to win the game. By all means give ZT a chance to take some snaps and mix it up.

I think the bar is set so low for the QB position, some are getting a little overexcited about TR.. He’s decent. He will be our starter next year. But he’s not good enough to play every single down no matter how he’s playing IMO.
Couldn't agree more.

Reaction Score

How does having ZT take some snaps mix it up? He's not a runner and not as good a passer as TR. The team gives enough series way with play calling to give away on silly substitutions.

Reaction Score
How does having ZT take some snaps mix it up? He's not a runner and not as good a passer as TR. The team gives enough series way with play calling to give away on silly substitutions.
If he sees he can get the first down running, he does.

Reaction Score
last year we rode ZT to almost win a bowl game.

today we sit at 1-7

these are just facts. people love to criticize
ZT but even with all his shortcomings, the dude has a winners mentality

Reaction Score

today we sit at 1-7

this rock prevents tigers

Reaction Score

With the new clock rules we can’t afford to waste a series too.

Maybe against Sacred Heart he can make a cameo.

Reaction Score

today we sit at 1-7

What would Zion Turner have done differently to win some of those games?

Reaction Score
What would Zion Turner have done differently to win some of those games?
Honestly Zoo and I am not trying to come off as all knowing - because I am not!

But ZT to me had this intangible where he plays every down like it’s his last. He’s not the fastest kid, but he scrambles and fights and does those little things to eeek out those critical plays you need to win games.

He’s not a better passer than TR.
He’s not that much better a runner than TR.

But he plays every down with purpose and grit and sometimes you need a QB to lay it all out there.

I think TR looks like he’s holding a back - not running to pick up first downs at crtical junctures - not rolling out when he should under pressure - and not doing what we need him to on critical drives in the 2nd half of games.

The fumble last week was inexcusable - we could have won that game!

So this isn‘t a ZT better than TR pitch. It is let ZT take some snaps to mix it up and see if we can eek out a victory. I get it if people don’t agree as well.

Reaction Score
Honestly Zoo and I am not trying to come off as all knowing - because I am not!

But ZT to me had this intangible where he plays every down like it’s his last. He’s not the fastest kid, but he scrambles and fights and does those little things to eeek out those critical plays you need to win games.

He’s not a better passer than TR.
He’s not that much better a runner than TR.

But he plays every down with purpose and grit and sometimes you need a QB to lay it all out there.

I think TR looks like he’s holding a back - not running to pick up first downs at crtical junctures - not rolling out when he should under pressure - and not doing what we need him to on critical drives in the 2nd half of games.

The fumble last week was inexcusable - we could have won that game!

So this isn‘t a ZT better than TR pitch. It is let ZT take some snaps to mix it up and see if we can eek out a victory. I get it if people don’t agree as well.

That’s a reasonable take.

I see tons of dropped passes and the odd bad throw by Taquan.

But he definitely gives us a dimension that we didn’t have before.

I don’t think we get the ball enough to start giving Zion a series a game. Sorry but a two QB system would be disaster for us.

I wish we increased our tempo a bit. That would work wonders if we could do it with all the false starts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom