Colorado up on LSU double digits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Colorado up on LSU double digits

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Morrow got one touch in the post the whole game. She is a fish out of water on that team. Plus, any team with an athletic point and three point shooters is going to give them fits,
A team with an athletic point guard and three point shooters is going to give them fits….let me think about that for a second….:cool:

Reaction Score
Van Lith's behavior shocked me. She struggled hard at that position and was an absolute horrible teammate when things went wrong. I couldn't believe how she was berating her teammates when they messed up. That's not a good leadership quality for your PG.

Also the demeanor on the bench spoke volumes when the reserves came out. Only Reece was continuing to be engaged and encouraging her teammates. Everyone else just hung their heads.

Just game 1 for sure, but I think this team’s maturity is going to be something that needs to be worked on as the season goes along. Adjustments will be made but I just question what happens once they are in conference against teams just as athletic and big as Colorado. As a Card fan, I am fully aware of how dangerous CU can be as they are a constant thorn in our side.

But for LSU, maybe one of the transfers should come off the bench to see if it changes. I wasn’t expecting them to look so bad defensively. Long term, Morrow is going to have to adjust her game if she wants to be effective. Johnson was also a non-factor, which was a pretty surprising development for me too.

Reaction Score
The game is over. Let’s hope all the LSU players don’t lose their NIL deals…;)
I was thinking about if the pressures of an NIL deal play a role, psychologically on a player. The landscape of college sports has become so monetized, I won't be surprised seeing more of these upsets from teams that feel disrespected by not having the same attention as their counterpart.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was thinking about if the pressures of an NIL deal play a role, psychologically on a player. The landscape of college sports has become so monetized, I won't be surprised seeing more of these upsets from teams that feel disrespected by not having the same attention as their counterpart.
I don’t know if it’s pressure. I think it has more to do with focus, or the lack there of.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting this result, but I did kinda feel like people were sleeping on Colorado. They were a good team last year and brought back just about everybody.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
In the last few years Colorado has lost their best high school players to other states. Game replay at 9:30 pm Central Time.

Looks like the replay has been nixed on TNT for men's hoops game

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
LSU will be fine. I thought this was a perfect storm if they caught Colorado on a hot night and that’s what happened. The Buffs have been giving teams trouble in the PAC12 for a few seasons. They took out Stanford once or twice i believe. They brought everyone back.

I did not have on my bingo card that Williams and Smith would be LSUs leading scorers for the game but that’s splitting hairs because Reese and Hailey Van Lith were also in double figures. For me it was LSUs defense. They couldn’t find the shooters and the Colorado post players just dominated in the paint.

What a fun opening night game.

Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting this result, but I did kinda feel like people were sleeping on Colorado. They were a good team last year and brought back just about everybody.
Colorado is an excellent team if you ask me. They are well coached and very disciplined. The latter was yhe difference today. I expect LSU to bounce back. However, ther schedule this year is going to battle test this team. This is a learning curve for both LSU transfers and LSU as a team. This is why I love Uconn so much, not for the championships(although it helps ), but for them instilling humbleness in the fabric of what makes their basketball culture so special.

Reaction Score
Massey ratings had LSU at number 7 pregame...so maybe LSU is over-rated rather than Colorado under-rated..Head bang

Reaction Score
I believe in karma so imma just sit here and eat my food
Tea Time Eye Roll GIF

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying this for weeks, that LSU didn’t “deserve” a #1 ranking. Now suddenly all the folks who insisted the previous year’s NC had to be #1 are acting like they always knew this would happen.

To be fair, Rosario was unavailable which meant Reese had to play the 5, which is not her best position, and Morrow had to play the 4 when she was in the game. A small lineup. Even worse, without perimeter shooters, the lane was too clogged for Morrow to succeed. At DePaul, where shooting 3s is their game plan, she usually had an open lane to work 1v1 on an opponent. But 4-10 is not going to cut it if they play such a small lineup again. It’s just not enough attempts.

If Rosario comes back soon, maybe the situation improves. But she is slooow. That’s Kim’s alternatives: bigger and very slow or small and quicker, but either way perimeter shooting has to improve. And play some defense.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying this for weeks, that LSU didn’t “deserve” a #1 ranking. Now suddenly all the folks who insisted the previous year’s NC had to be #1 are acting like they always knew this would happen.

To be fair, Rosario was unavailable which meant Reese had to play the 5, which is not her best position, and Morrow had to play the 4 when she was in the game. A small lineup. Even worse, without perimeter shooters, the lane was too clogged for Morrow to succeed. At DePaul, where shooting 3s is their game plan, she usually had an open lane to work 1v1 on an opponent. But 4-10 is not going to cut it if they play such a small lineup again. It’s just not enough attempts.

If Rosario comes back soon, maybe the situation improves. But she is slooow. That’s Kim’s alternatives: bigger and very slow or small and quicker, but either way perimeter shooting has to improve. And play some defense.

Rosario played in the 4th period so she had to be cleared by the medical staff. Maybe it's less a medical issue and more of a "not ready to play yet" thing.

Reaction Score
Vonleh was 11 of 15 and Formann was 9-15. Whether that was poor defense or just shooters being hot, it’s an impressive performance. I think the loss is on the LSU defense, though. Even if one or two players are scoring points, good defensive teams manage to contain everyone else.

Hailey Van Lith needs better coaching. Her demeanor reminds me of Angel McCautry before she was reined in a bit. The intensity is great, but she needs to learn to use it constructively.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Could Mulkey be like Calipari?

Some now doubt the men’s Kentucky coach’s ability because he keeps getting the best talent yet fails to deliver. Yet Calipari proved he was an excellent coach (sleazy but excellent) at UMass, Memphis and his early years at Kentucky. I think Calipari’s problem has been that since he can win almost all the recruiting battles he does so indiscriminately. He now wins one and done recruits that lack chemistry rather than win championships.

I always thought adding Morrow was more a bane for LSU than a boon. Van Lith as well, though that one made a tiny bit more sense to me. NIL and the transfer portal has the potential of creating men’s type rosters, with many elites built on immediate talent rather than developed chemistry. In such an atmosphere an accomplished coach like Mulkey may be primed to be the women’s Calipari (though much less sleazy, don’t get me wrong there).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Getting to be #1 is completely different than being #1. It’s literally a whole new ball game when every team on your schedule has your game date circled like it’s their national championship. If LSU doesn’t give a better, more consistent effort every time they’re on the court, this will happen again.

Reaction Score
I always thought adding Morrow was more a bane for LSU than a boon. Van Lith as well, though that one made a tiny bit more sense to me. NIL and the transfer portal has the potential of creating men’s type rosters, with many elites built on immediate talent rather than developed chemistry.
Commenting to like this part a second time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom