College Sports Madness Top 44 countdown | The Boneyard

College Sports Madness Top 44 countdown

Reaction Score
I have been reading this for the past week or so. I read the Duke one yesterday. I'm not surprised that you caught up with this. Hopefully you guys can stay healthy this season.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I believe Rutgers is going to just build off the success of the last year. We still have a ton of talent in Guirantes, Broughton, Sanders, & Mack, and Morris(for B1G play). Not to mention the addition of Davenport which will get a lot of playing time from the start.

I also look forward to how Noga Peleg Pelc has grown her game over the summer. I'm just super excited.

Reaction Score
A few notables.... Rutgers # 32 LSU #31 Duke #30

I think Duke’s a little underrated at #30, and I’m sure these two would agree.
FCB981AC-A5A7-4AB3-8BCF-499A9A86F451.jpeg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Duke’s a little underrated at #30, and I’m sure these two would agree.
View attachment 47028

Those two (particularly Lambert) are the key to the season. I'll know more about them in the next few weeks..... but yeah.... they will be underrated..... which is a good thing in my book.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nice to see Boise St. get some love, at #28. I still can't believe they were a #13 seed in the Tourney last year and Oregon St. had to play them in the first round. That was right up there for most mis-seeded first round game in the bracket. At the same site Little Rock was #12 and might have been the worst team in the Tourney, had #15 or #16 written all over them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Understandably, UConn fans don't start paying attention to this list for another month. ;)
Yea, I'll have to come back and check this thread later. Much later. :cool: Hope I can remember. :confused:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nice to see Boise St. get some love, at #28. I still can't believe they were a #13 seed in the Tourney last year and Oregon St. had to play them in the first round. That was right up there for most mis-seeded first round game in the bracket. At the same site Little Rock was #12 and might have been the worst team in the Tourney, had #15 or #16 written all over them.
I'm not sure on what factual basis we can say they were mis-seeded. In the regular season, Boise State:
  • Got crushed (by 24 points) by Washington State.
  • Barely beat Washington (by 4 points).
  • Suffered losses to Wyoming and Utah State.
  • Scored zero wins that would be considered quality wins for NCAA tournament seeding.
Just because they almost beat Oregon State doesn't mean they were underseeded. Maybe it was Oregon State who played much worse than their seed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just because they almost beat Oregon State doesn't mean they were underseeded. Maybe it was Oregon State who played much worse than their seed.

OSU was struggling at the end of the year, that was clear. My biggest issue is that somehow a Little Rock team w/ 21 wins, none of them quality, was seeded higher than Boise St. w/ 28 wins. Maybe BSU was about where they were supposed to be, looking at all of the seedings by region there are other AQ with similar records seeded around the same. But there's no possible way Little Rock should've been anything other than a 15 or 16. If they were going to be in Corvallis, they should've been OSU's first round opponent. The only thing I can figure is the committee was throwing Gonzaga a bone since they didn't get to host. The other #12 were 28-4 Bucknell, 28-3 Rice and 26-6 UCF (2 of which nearly won their first round game). Little Rock was an obvious outlier in that group.

Plebe

Reaction Score
OSU was struggling at the end of the year, that was clear. My biggest issue is that somehow a Little Rock team w/ 21 wins, none of them quality, was seeded higher than Boise St. w/ 28 wins. Maybe BSU was about where they were supposed to be, looking at all of the seedings by region there are other AQ with similar records seeded around the same. But there's no possible way Little Rock should've been anything other than a 15 or 16. If they were going to be in Corvallis, they should've been OSU's first round opponent. The only thing I can figure is the committee was throwing Gonzaga a bone since they didn't get to host. The other #12 were 28-4 Bucknell, 28-3 Rice and 26-6 UCF (2 of which nearly won their first round game). Little Rock was an obvious outlier in that group.
Little Rock was #61 in the RPI. That is definitely not 15 or 16 seed territory.

Boise State had fewer losses than Little Rock but also played a MUCH weaker schedule, and the committee has a bit of a tendency to punish teams that play the vast majority of their games against teams with triple-digit RPIs.

I think BSU should've been a 13 instead of a 12, but hey the committee routinely makes more bizarre decisions than this one. Giving Mississippi State a 1 seed despite their lack of quality wins was far worse.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Little Rock was #61 in the RPI.

How? 17 of their 21 wins were against Sun Belt teams. OOC had some good opponents but they didn't beat any of those, 4 wins against middle to bottom teams from C-USA and AAC. Anyway Little Rock definitely didn't pass the eye test, they looked horrid for most of their first round game. A brief flurry made the final score look closer than the game really was, Gonzaga had them doubled up most of the way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
How? 17 of their 21 wins were against Sun Belt teams. OOC had some good opponents but they didn't beat any of those, 4 wins against middle to bottom teams from C-USA and AAC. Anyway Little Rock definitely didn't pass the eye test, they looked horrid for most of their first round game. A brief flurry made the final score look closer than the game really was, Gonzaga had them doubled up most of the way.
Well maybe that was one bad game. If we cherry-picked certain games of Oregon State's for eye testing, we might think they didn't deserve to be in the tournament at all.

Criticize the Sun Belt all you want, but the Sun Belt gave Little Rock 6 top-100 wins (including 2 true road wins), which is more than Boise State got all season. Again, I would've switched LR's seeding with BSU's, but it's not like there was a huge gap between the two on paper.

Interestingly, both of them rated much worse in Massey than in RPI: Boise State finished the season at #83, Little Rock at #101.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Interestingly, both of them rated much worse in Massey than in RPI: Boise State finished the season at #83, Little Rock at #101.

That is interesting. I know RPI gets a lot of criticism. That's a huge difference for Little Rock between RPI and Massey.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that a bit high for Notre Dame? Marta Sneizek is good, but not THAT good. I guess Muffet gets some respect and rightfully so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom