Cole is moving toward elite status | The Boneyard

Cole is moving toward elite status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any idea on why he’s being booed every time he gets the ball from what seems like the start of the game?

Reaction Score
Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Oh Good lord. These posts. Reminds me of the people who would overhype Vital.

An elite PG does not preside over a team that has done EVERYTHING they can do lose games down the stretch.
Losing to a 73rd ranked team is not going to keep us in the top 25 for long.

Reaction Score
After this BB loss I am going to lose myself in the History channel or UFO,s. As for Cole he will be a good player…..

Reaction Score
He’s a decent player, but please. There is nothing elite about Cole’s game. #facts.

Are we watching the same game? There is NOTHING elite about Cole. He’s a good PG. On a great team, he’d be a backup PG, no more.
Do you know anything about basketball? Thank you for your interest in UConn men's basketball. You intrest is so profound.

Reaction Score
He played pretty well tonight other than missing some open shots. Liked his passing in the 1st half especially. Couple nice defensive moments in the 2nd half. His handle looed really solid against their pressure, too, although it says he had 5 turnovers but I don't remember them at all (except a couple bad half court lobs in transition).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Oh Good lord. These posts. Reminds me of the people who would overhype Vital.

An elite PG does not preside over a team that has done EVERYTHING they can do lose games down the stretch.

Preside is a good term for this team. Right now it exists. Leadership within the players is severely lacking. I mentioned it in another thread. There is no Bazz getting in Boat's face. There is no one who has the skills to put the team on their shoulder and take over a defense.
I have little doubt Cole is giving it his best but no one has stepped up alongside him and Cole (and most college players) doesn't have the extreme skill set to do it himself.

Reaction Score
Cole is our best ball handler but I'd honestly say we don't have any good ball handlers seeing playing time. Haven't seen enough of Diggins but if he is a pure point guard I'll assume he is comfortable with the ball eventually. Everybody, including Cole, looked timid or out of control at various points. Give credit to WV, they play in your face defense and send multiple people at the ball.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's reached full senior Vital level. Only he has more help. Still very excited about this season's prospects. If we continue to improve, we will be very dangerous in March.

Reaction Score
RJ Cole is playing very well this year. This is the Cole they promised us last year, but a lot of us could never quite see it. He is markedly better than last year. Much more solid, more controlled, better handle, better on D, much better at picking his spots to drive for short pullups or layups. He is noticeably stronger physically and that is also helping his game. Quicker feet this year on both offense and defense, and he is willingly taking charges mostly successfully. He is getting rebounds.

This is RJ's team. He has the highest usage, the most minutes, and if he continues to score at a good clip, he will most likely be an All Big East player by the end of the season. 2nd team? At any rate, I am impressed with how much better he is this year, and really, we are just getting started.

Reaction Score
Earlier this season I was considering Martin one of UConn's best transfers ever (top 5).

Well if Cole keeps this up he should be crowned the King of UConn transfers, when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
IMO we don't have a dynamite ballhandler a la Boat/Shabazz/Kemba, or even Jalen Adams on the roster. Diggins is not that guy unless things have changed since HS. Cole is a good ballhandler, and steady, but he isn't breaking guys down and making dynamic change of pace plays like those listed above.

Castle isn't either. nor is Gaffney, Vital, etc. Hurley doesn't recruit that type of ballhandler because he wants the wings making plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom